Menu

Report cards?!?!?

mom24boys

In order to send my kids to a drop-off enrichment day, I had to sign the kids up under a Private School Covering (PSC) which is basically an umbrella school. At least I think it is, right? I really didn't want to do PSC, but I really liked the e-day so I went for it. I had to pay for the PSC (~$450 for 2 kids) and then pay more for the e-Day.

Anyway. I had to submit attendance and grades for the first quarter. I recently found out, however, that I don't get an "official" report card (like the kids that attend during the rest of the week). Is this they way your PSC or umbrella works? Why is that?

For some reason this upsets me. What am I supposed to get for my $450 at the K and 1st grade level? All I can tell is that they hold my grades in a file folder...that's it...OH, and they want me to help with fund raising!

Am I off base here? At the very least I think they should use a school stamp to stamp my grades and make them look more official.

Thanks for your help/input/encouragement! :bigear:

Wow, that does seem like a rip off. Our umbrella school charges only $70, and gives us student cards and teacher cards. :) They do not give us a report card, but again, we only pay $70 for the first child and $50 for each sibling. (Technically it's a $20 family enrollment fee, plus $50 per child.) They also have all kinds of events that we are welcome to attend, although no enrichment day that I know of.

I have found one or two other drop off ones. With those, you pick the classes you want to attend. So I could pick 3 classes in a row from 9 until noon. What concerns me is "do they have someone to watch over the kids and move them from room to room" or are my kids completely independent?

My kids are K and 1 and they could easily get stuck in the bathroom because they can't button their pants or something and completely skip a class if someone isn't watching over them. Or get lost and sit crying in a corner. Since I found this e-Day right around the corner from my house, I went with it because they do have oversight that I'm completely comfortable with.

Anyway, I guess my question, is what are the supposed benefits of a PSC or umbrella? Before I get angry at them, I want to know what my expectations should be.

I need to get looking/researching for next year. :auto:

I have found one or two other drop off ones. With those, you pick the classes you want to attend. So I could pick 3 classes in a row from 9 until noon. What concerns me is "do they have someone to watch over the kids and move them from room to room" or are my kids completely independent?

Sounds like questions you should be asking TPTB at the school.

My kids are K and 1 and they could easily get stuck in the bathroom because they can't button their pants or something and completely skip a class if someone isn't watching over them. Or get lost and sit crying in a corner. Since I found this e-Day right around the corner from my house, I went with it because they do have oversight that I'm completely comfortable with.

Anyway, I guess my question, is what are the supposed benefits of a PSC or umbrella? Before I get angry at them, I want to know what my expectations should be.

I need to get looking/researching for next year. :auto:

As far as benefits, that depends on the laws in your state. Not all states require umbrella schools.

In order to send my kids to a drop-off enrichment day, I had to sign the kids up under a Private School Covering (PSC) which is basically an umbrella school. At least I think it is, right?

I dunno. What state?

I really didn't want to do PSC, but I really liked the e-day so I went for it. I had to pay for the PSC (~$450 for 2 kids) and then pay more for the e-Day.

Anyway. I had to submit attendance and grades for the first quarter. I recently found out, however, that I don't get an "official" report card (like the kids that attend during the rest of the week). Is this they way your PSC or umbrella works? Why is that?

I dunno why. It depends on your state's laws, and probably the individual polices of each school.

For some reason this upsets me. What am I supposed to get for my $450 at the K and 1st grade level? All I can tell is that they hold my grades in a file folder...that's it...OH, and they want me to help with fund raising!

Am I off base here? At the very least I think they should use a school stamp to stamp my grades and make them look more official.

Thanks for your help/input/encouragement! :bigear:

It would upset me, too, but, well, you probably should have asked more questions in the beginning (or the school should have given you more information in the beginning).

I've never seen a school stamp for elementary grades, though. And what does "enrichment" mean? Aren't you teaching core subjects, and the school is just enrichment? Then wouldn't your own grades/report cards be more important, anyway?

I'm in a state where cover schools are required. They tend to run $100/family, give or take. Some are a bit more if they offer help with curriculum choices, homeschool support groups, etc. Most just keep a log of your attendance and do a high school transcript for you when the time comes. Reporting days absent is the only requirement in my state.

I don't know why you'd need anything official for report cards for elementary age? No one ever looks at those except Mom and Dad.

The price of your cover seems outrageous to me if all they're doing is storing your grades in a folder though.

I'm in a state where cover schools are required. They tend to run $100/family, give or take. Some are a bit more if they offer help with curriculum choices, homeschool support groups, etc. Most just keep a log of your attendance and do a high school transcript for you when the time comes. Reporting days absent is the only requirement in my state.

I don't know why you'd need anything official for report cards for elementary age? No one ever looks at those except Mom and Dad.

The price of your cover seems outrageous to me if all they're doing is storing your grades in a folder though.

I lived in a state where this was the case. Just a heads up.....check into what the high school transcript looks like. I was floored when the first transcript I ordered for my oldest was HANDWRITTEN!! (After all those yrs of paying them to simply store the grades/attendance, the university received a handwritten transcript....I was just a little angry.)

I lived in a state where this was the case. Just a heads up.....check into what the high school transcript looks like. I was floored when the first transcript I ordered for my oldest was HANDWRITTEN!! (After all those yrs of paying them to simply store the grades/attendance, the university received a handwritten transcript....I was just a little angry.)

I would be angry too! That's crazy. Thank you for this heads up!

I decided, when I signed up, that if I took the total sum of my PSC + my enrichment day (Spanish, art, tennis) and divided it out hourly, that it was an acceptable cost. $8/hr per kid (and granny donated money to the cause). That's not crazy bad (more expensive than a babysitter but less expensive than gymnastic lessons). It could just be so much cheaper if they would let me do eDay without the PSC. :tongue_smilie: And it is SOOO conveniently close to my house and the timing is perfect.

We live in Florida so PSC is basically the same thing as umbrella. It's not required by the state. I was trying to see what other people get out of their PSC or umbrella...from what I can tell...a handwritten high school transcript. Hmmm. :confused: I also get to attend field trips with them if I want and help them raise money. :tongue_smilie:

I was the one that turned in the grades and attendance, I just thought they'd enter it in some computer and then print it on an official report card. Basically, I just need to ask them what I get for my money. And choose not to go back if I can't get over it. (Even though my kids and I enjoy it immensely!)

Maybe I just need a :chillpill:. :001_smile:

Thanks for letting me rant!