Menu

Canadians...have you seen the new Tim Horton's commercial for oatmeal? Ugh!

First off, they're obviously at a cottage in late fall. No smart man is going to bring in his dock/raft thing in the freezing cold...he would have done it way sooner. Secondly, again, they're at the cottage. No smart woman is going to drive WAY into town to buy oatmeal for $1.99 a piece for their man -- it's not like a Timmy's is a couple of minutes away. Thirdly, it's stinkin' oatmeal. It takes a minute to make and cents to buy. If you have to go into town to buy it, go to the grocery store and get it cheaper. Finally, if the men really needed nourishment, make them eggs and toast. They need the protein and carbs from being in the freezing cold water.

Okay, I live in the southern US and there is no Tim Horton's here...but I'm imagining a commercial trying to get people to get up, get dressed and load up the family to go OUT for oatmeal. I just wanted to throw my dice in with you that THAT is the most RIDICULOUS thing I've ever heard of!!!

Okay, I live in the southern US and there is no Tim Horton's here...but I'm imagining a commercial trying to get people to get up, get dressed and load up the family to go OUT for oatmeal. I just wanted to throw my dice in with you that THAT is the most RIDICULOUS thing I've ever heard of!!!

It IS...it treats all of us like we're stupid! Fine to market oatmeal, but there's a million other ways to do it. I get it if a family, say, is traveling and want to stop for a quick light bite to eat...but at a cottage? And the men are bringing in the raft? Pathetic!!!!!

I first saw a poster advertising that in the store. Yes, it is way cheaper than $1.99 to make a bowl of stinkin' oatmeal; but for all those people buying Timmy's and a doughnut on the way to work every morning, this would be so much better for them. And as a hockey parent... well, okay this hockey parent would just make instant oatmeal in the hotel room, but still, the sentiment is a good one, I think.

But I *do* hate those ads where the people are supposed to be at the cottage with fast food. The McDonald's commercials this summer that showed young adults camping with their fast food? Good grief.

First off, they're obviously at a cottage in late fall. No smart man is going to bring in his dock/raft thing in the freezing cold...he would have done it way sooner. Secondly, again, they're at the cottage. No smart woman is going to drive WAY into town to buy oatmeal for $1.99 a piece for their man -- it's not like a Timmy's is a couple of minutes away. Thirdly, it's stinkin' oatmeal. It takes a minute to make and cents to buy. If you have to go into town to buy it, go to the grocery store and get it cheaper. Finally, if the men really needed nourishment, make them eggs and toast. They need the protein and carbs from being in the freezing cold water.

I'm thinking Tim's is on a roll with the bonehead decisions. Oatmeal for $1.99? That's just stupid, but it's not nearly as stupid as deciding to go with frozen donuts over fresh made-in-store. :glare:

I'm thinking Tim's is on a roll with the bonehead decisions. Oatmeal for $1.99? That's just stupid, but it's not nearly as stupid as deciding to go with frozen donuts over fresh made-in-store. :glare:

We don't buy doughnuts there any more. Yes, what were they thinking? :glare:

Actually, I kinda think the doughnut-thing was simply logistics. They can't even seem to employ enough staff to keep the place clean and get the coffee out, much less bake fresh doughnuts. If demographics/economics keep shifting, maybe fresh doughnuts will come back? Or is that just a hopeless dream? :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

I haven't seen the commercial, but I went into Tim's the other night (rare for me) and saw the posters for oatmeal, was surprised to see that they now offered oatmeal, and was SHOCKED that a small bowlful of OATMEAL cost $1.99!!!! Really?? Seriously???? I just bought four bags full from Bulk Barn for 13 cents/per 100 g.

Ridiculous!

Starbucks has been selling oatmeal for a long time now and I know its more like $2.50 or $3.00 (and I just learned that McDonalds sells oatmeal too -- $1.99).

I guess it's meant to be a healthier alternative for those who do go out to eat. Me, no way am a buying oatmeal out. Besides the cost I'm sure I'd like mine made at home way better.

Starbucks has been selling oatmeal for a long time now and I know its more like $2.50 or $3.00 (and I just learned that McDonalds sells oatmeal too -- $1.99).

I guess it's meant to be a healthier alternative for those who do go out to eat. Me, no way am a buying oatmeal out. Besides the cost I'm sure I'd like mine made at home way better.

It's not the fact that they're selling oatmeal, it's the WAY they did it...the commercial treated us like we're completely stupid...that's what bugged me so much.

This is so funny to me because I have no idea what the commercial is about and we want to eventually move to Canada. Then I got really excited to see so many Canadian mamas on the board!

Then consider this a very important cultural lesson - you MUST get familiar with Tim Horton's (aka Tim's or Timmy's) if you want to move here! :D

Then consider this a very important cultural lesson - you MUST get familiar with Tim Horton's (aka Tim's or Timmy's) if you want to move here! :D

Learn Tim's full legal name. It's on the entrance exam.

;) Not really.

I wonder if it is just Timmy's in Canada. Either it hasn't made it this far south yet or I did not notice the menu change when I was there Sunday.

This is so funny to me because I have no idea what the commercial is about and we want to eventually move to Canada. Then I got really excited to see so many Canadian mamas on the board!

Actually you can have Tim Horton's if you get close enough to the north eastern border without having to cross it. ;)