Menu

How do you use a study guide?

We prefer to read the book first to get an unbiased first impression just based on OUR understanding.

For the Iliad, DD knew the plot before from a modern adaptation for young readers. She then read the Iliad completely, and only afterwards we used additional resources (for us, lectures from the Teaching Company).

I would, however, make sure you are familiar with the basic plot before reading the original epic.

We prefer to read the book first to get an unbiased first impression just based on OUR understanding.

For the Iliad, DD knew the plot before from a modern adaptation for young readers. She then read the Iliad completely, and only afterwards we used additional resources (for us, lectures from the Teaching Company).

I would, however, make sure you are familiar with the basic plot before reading the original epic.

Thanks. See, I'm NOT sure of the basic plot. Should I read the summary in the study guide but wait and read the detailed breakdown afterwards?

Thanks. See, I'm NOT sure of the basic plot. Should I read the summary in the study guide but wait and read the detailed breakdown afterwards?

I think it will be easier for you if you know what it is about and what is going on before reading the epic. I do not know your study guide, so I can not say how good the summary is.

I personally would prefer a REAL book telling the story of the Trojan war, maybe an adaptation for young readers, or something. Something that TELLS the story instead of just giving the bare bones synopsis. You may want to look what version is suggested for the logic stage and read that quickly before reading the actual Homer. I could imagine that you would have more fun this way.

We use study guides differently than above poster, so obviously there is no "one way" to do it! :) Perhaps just experiment and see what works for you.

In using a lit. guide, we first read whatever background info the guide gives us on the work and the author and the times in which it was written so we have a broader context for understanding the work, and to have an idea of themes / characterizations / literary elements of the times, but then also be able to contrast that with our modern-day thoughts. In other words, we get a "big picture" first.

(For something complicated with loads of characters such as The Iliad that can be *extremely* helpful just to keep everyone straight as you read; a lot of times we draw a chart as we go to help remember who is who and what all the relationships are. For the Iliad you can list the Troy side and the Greek side, and list not only who is on which side, but also which god favors which side, and also any "geneology" info -- parent/child, siblings, etc. Right now, we are reading Wuthering Heights, and drew up a family tree so we could follow the interconnected relations between the 2 estates and their families, including which servants are at which estate.)

After getting background info, we read into the work, discussing aloud as we go; when we complete a section covered by the guide, after we read, we then go over the discussion questions aloud and use them as a springboard for further discussion; we also read whatever analysis the guide might have for that section for further insights into the work. Then we continue to read aloud, discussing as we go, until we hit the next section break, and repeat.

Sometimes we use a question from the guide for a written response to the work. Because we read aloud/discuss together, we don't use vocabulary quizzes or comprehension questions from guides -- no need, as we get that "in the moment". As an aside, you might find the free guides at http://www.sparknotes.com or http://www.cliffsnotes.com helpful as a springboard into your lit.

BEST of luck in working out how lit. guides fit in with YOUR family's learning style! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
added info for clarification

Thank you. I've got a pretty good grasp of the gods and mythology, so I think I'm okay there. I have decided to read the plot summary and then just start reading the book. If I run into trouble, I have the guide to fall back on. Thanks for the input, everyone.