Menu

Thanksgiving Dinner Hostess a question for ya'll!

OK, so I AM hostessing Thanksgiving AND Christmas. . . . . and I've got a few questions.

Do you put up a Christmas tree before Thanksgiving dinner? Decorated or no?

Buffet style or family style is best?

Right now we're have 14 confirmed guests but potentially an additional 5.

OK, so I AM hostessing Thanksgiving AND Christmas. . . . . and I've got a few questions.

The tree comes after Thanksgiving in my world. :001_smile:

I think I would do family style for 14 and buffet if you end up with 19.

You're a brave woman!

No Christmas tree up before St. Nicholas Day (Dec. 6). Buffet works out pretty well when we have more guests than spaces at the table. Since I can only seat 6, I do buffet if I have 7 or more guests. Those that are sitting on the sofa or in the kitchen or on the porch won't feel they can't get seconds or feel they are bothering those at the table if the food is on the buffet or on the kitchen counter.

I will say though it is nice to carve the turkey at the table.

My kids are Catholic, so we don't put up a tree until Christmas Eve which is in keeping with their tradition. If it were up to me, we wouldn't put one up at all. Ever. So that's my bias LOL.

I come from a large Asian family. Everything is always family style :D I love the look of a full table, and the passing around of plates and the whole shebang so that's my bias -- but I think either would be fine!

Sounds like a hectic event to plan for, but a wonderful gathering to have. Enjoy both dinners!

I am hosting this year as well.

As for us, no tree before Thanksgiving. This is my favorite holiday and I like to celebrate every moment of it. Christmas can wait for its turn. :)

We like a family style dinner at one big, beautifully set table for 25.

Edited by Crissy

No tree until after Thanksgiving.

Buffet style or family depends on how big a table you have, or do you need a "kids table" in another room to fit everyone...and would there be a place to set stuff out for buffet style?

We have to serve family style as no place other than the table to set the food - and my table sits 12, maybe 14 if really squished...so I usually have two card tables end to end in the next room to set the kids (well, teens now). Both rooms open up to each other so we can see each other. It all depends on the logistics of your space, furniture, and number of guests.

I also have more than one dish for the turkey and taters, it helps get everyone hot food faster than if there was only one platter of it.

I might as well add, I would do buffet-style in a flash if only I had a place to set the food out besides the dining table (do not tell me to set it in the kitchen - I have a total of three feet of counter space and it is covered with cooking pots, etc. by mealtime!)

Edited by JFSinIL

Buffet Style Hostess Question: Kitchen counter or separate table?

We aren't doing turkey this year. The farmer we buy from didn't raise any this year and my mom who raises chickens let a few grow to 10 lbs. We're planning on roasting 3 of those. She's pushing for 4, but I think that's waaaay to much. :)

Tree after Thanksgiving to completely separate the two holidays. I like to have cranberry/pumpkin sort of decorations going on for Thanksgiving, and then transform them into Christmas decorations afterwards (if I can).

With a group of 14+, I would probably choose a buffet style if I had the space to do so. Maybe keep a place for things like rolls, potatoes, salads, pickles/olives/butter/other condiment sorts at the tables. Otherwise, the tables become too cluttered to be able to eat with ease.

At least, that's what I've found. My dining room fits a table that serves 10 comfortably. With all the main and side dishes on the table, the table gets congested. If I had to work in more guests, I would be forced to do buffet (and they would be forced to love it :-)

OK, so I AM hostessing Thanksgiving Do you put up a Christmas tree before Thanksgiving dinner? Decorated or no?

Thanksgiving is my husband's family's "reunion'. :party: It has been at my house for the last 23 years. We are currently at a count of 25 adults, one adolescent, and seven kids under six. Everyone has food assignments. (and this year, they are expected to bring their own serving dishes and utensils. Oh, and storage containers for leftovers.)

We have always done family style in the past. Staple items (turkey/dressing/potatoes/etc.) are duplicated at both ends. This year, we are trying to figure out a multiple table, buffet arrangement. We're also moving furniture out of my living room.

For large groups, I like buffet, but it all depends upon available space. I did pick up off craigslist/garage sale two kiddie tables and chairs for the littles. (which I can use later for hs 3ds5)

I love christmas trees,:Angel_anim: and decorating for christmas, but it goes up that weekend/following week.

Edited by gardenmom5

Buffet Style Hostess Question: Kitchen counter or separate table?

We use a separate table for the buffet. We have some small folding tables and put two of them together for the food. The 3rd one we use for drinks and then we have a dresser in the dining area where we put the desserts. I like to keep things spread out from each other so there's no backing up if someone wants food while someone else is trying to get a drink. I also like the desserts to be separate so guests don't have to look at a picked off turkey carcass or congealing gravy while picking their dessert. KWIM? Our dining area is pretty small, but the folding tables are slim and we move other furniture to accommodate the extra tables.

I don't actually host, my brother and sister in law do. It is buffet style and my SIL always does have her tree done in time for the holiday although it seems like she is in the minority. I think its nice to have a little time to enjoy without the craziness of Christmas. Ours won't go up here until sometime that weekend probably.

Tree after Thanksgiving. Way after.

We do Thanksgiving/harvest as it's own 'thing'.

Then the first Sunday in Advent we put up the Advent calendars, an Advent wreath, angels, symbols, and put greenery into the fireplace, with little votive candles in little petal bowls nestled in amongst it. We put up a wreath on the front door (sheltered) and one inside door. We even have an angel night light in the bathroom.

The tree goes up the last Sunday in Advent, and is decorated on Christmas Eve. That way it is fresh for Christmas, and stays nice throughout the 12 days of Christmas until Epiphany.

Never, never a buffet. It's too hard on the elderly and the very young children. Much better to pass food around the table. That's my view. My grandfather used to carve to order at the table, but my DH and the rest of our generation do not have that skill, so carving is done in the kitchen and meat is passed on big platters. There is usually a lull before dessert, and walks are often taken to settle things down then.

I really like family style but for 14 guests, buffet would be easier. If you have time for getting the tree up it would be pretty to have it undecorated at Thanksgiving but with the lights turned on. Decorate when you are ready.

We do family style when it's just us but with over 15 ppl at my sisters buffet works best. I put my tree up when the mood strikes. sometimes it's Thanksgiving weekend other times it's later in December.

We have family coming in town for Thanksgiving that won't be here for Christmas (older grandparents) and so we feel it is special for them to see the tree up and be able to visualize their grandchildren's Christmas. If it were any other way, we'd have it up first weekend in December.

I vote buffet, also. But, we have a nice, huge island that is perfect for buffet settings.

My Mom is actually in charge of Thanksgiving every year for us. That being said we always have at least 16 people there normally closer to 20+. We do buffet style it is just easier with that many people. Plus it is easier to take dietary restrictions into consideration with a buffet, and since we have some that are vegetarian, some that won't eat turkey, one that can't have milk, etc it is easier to get it off the buffet since we can separate the vegetarian dishes and teh meat dishes easier then family style with that many people.

Plus we always have to many people for one table, so it is easier with 2+ tables as well. In general the buffet is laid out on the very large island in the kitchen and people serve themselves and someone serves the small ones there. It works well for us. We don't actually have a seperate kids table, since there are only 3 small ones right now, and all are 5 and under. We normally have an older people table, and then a younger people table. So anyone over 50ish tends to be at the older people table (my parents, aunt and uncle, family friends of my parents, my sister's in-laws, etc). The rest of us are at the younger people table.

I'm doing both this year too - in fact I'm the default place to do the family meals.

I prefer buffet when we have more than 6 people as it is much easier on me. Also unless there is room for multiple serving dishes of the same thing, it is a pain to pass stuff and then find a spot for it to go back on the table.

However, I agree with the person who said it is harder on the elderly. I have had to fill plates for people who can't walk and hold plates easily.

I think your answer is based on how much room you have and how able your guest are to do a buffet.

Since we have about 80 people at my aunt & uncle's for Thanksgiving (we actually rent a meeting hall for Christmas dinner), food is always served buffet-style. I didn't even know people actually set down to a set table and carved turkey a-la-Norman Rockwell until I had a holiday diner with my ex's family and there were only 9 of us. His mother broke out the good china, crystal stemware, etc. I was lost! LOL!

Buffet is spread out on the kitchen counters and island. Meat is pre-cut into smaller pieces.

We host both too. We don't do the tree until the day after Thanksgiving, so fall-ish colors & decorations can be enjoyed.

We host about 15 people and have done buffet style for the last 5 years. It is the way to go. No more passing back and forth, just get up from the table, refill, and return. So much easier :)

Enjoy your family time!!