Menu

I'm such a freak of nature. Fitness/workout Q

So, I've got hyperthyroidism. I'm not taking conventional meds. They really mess up my enthusiasm for anything. Being hyper one would think I'd loose weight pretty easily. That was what was going on the first year. The weight fell off. It was great. Since my diagnosis I've been putting the weight back on.

Fast forward to today. I've gained 34ish pounds in the past 4.5 years. For the better part of 3 of those years I was at 160ish. I'd gathered up a pretty interesting wardrobe, and liked the way I looked at 160. I wouldn't' have minded 150, but you know, I like cake. I was/am willing to forgo those 10 pounds for pineapple upside down cake. (It's got fruit so it has to be good for you.;))

About 10 days ago I started tai chi class. I've developed what dd calls "my flaps." The wiggly-jigglies of the upper arm. And the thighs are just a bit embarrassing. The tai chi is to hep combat all the wiggly-jiggly parts. Along with the tai chi I'm doing 1.5 hours of Wii Fit every day. I burn +/- 265 calories a day. I've also cut down on the sugar comsumption. I've probably cut out an extra 100 calories a day. On top of that I'm eating a mostly vegetarian (from the Moosewood Restaurant cookbooks) diet.

Now the freak of nature part has begun. Every time I start exercising I start gaining weight. This has been a pattern all my adult life. Once I start gaining I'm all "what's the flipping point?"

Does this happen to anyone else? How do I overcome it? Do I need to add more exercise? I'm dedicating 1.5 hours already.

Also if someone can tell me how to get rid of cramps - mostly in my calf muscles and toes.

Muscle cramps - are you taking a calcium/mag supplement? When I forget for a couple days, I end up with cramps at night.

I also used to gain weight when I exercised. I knew it was because I was gaining muscle, but I HATED that!!! Anyway, I started weight watchers and the weight started coming right off! I swear, I thought I was being careful with my diet. But, REALLY watching every single calorie/point was essential for me. I think my metabolism really changed in my 30s.:glare:

Fast forward to now. I've lost 45 pounds. I'm at my high school weight. I love it! I'm training for a marathon (so I really don't need to watch what I eat anymore!!!). But, I know I won't be running this much after the marathon, so I'm keeping my WW materials!

Good luck. I really do feel for you!

You're replacing fat with muscle, and muscle weighs more than fat. Concentrate more on your measurements, how firm your "flaps" are getting, and how you feel than on how much you weigh. :)

Okay, so I can tell the little Balance Board character to shove off? It isn't much weight. I'd lost about 2 pounds then gained one back. :glare: I know it wasn't much but it is disheartening to see.

Muscle cramps - are you taking a calcium/mag supplement? When I forget for a couple days, I end up with cramps at night.

I also used to gain weight when I exercised. I knew it was because I was gaining muscle, but I HATED that!!! Anyway, I started weight watchers and the weight started coming right off! I swear, I thought I was being careful with my diet. But, REALLY watching every single calorie/point was essential for me. I think my metabolism really changed in my 30s.:glare:

Fast forward to now. I've lost 45 pounds. I'm at my high school weight. I love it! I'm training for a marathon (so I really don't need to watch what I eat anymore!!!). But, I know I won't be running this much after the marathon, so I'm keeping my WW materials!

Good luck. I really do feel for you!

Good for you! I cant' go back to what my high school weight. That wouldn't be good. I was 5'7" and 100 pounds. 135 looked good a few years ago, except for my face. I looked like I could use a lift. The 150/160 filled out my face.

Yes, I'm taking calcium and magnesium. I've also started zinc, vit B, Vit D, CoQ10, a hyperthyroid supplement that I don't want to look up, something for my immune system and one more that I can't think of right off. 10 all together.

I'm thinking if I make it through the winter, I'm going to try C25K this spring.

I read a fitness column once that said you can gain a few pounds when you first start exercising due to inflammation; i.e., you're breaking down muscles when you exercise and then your body has to repair them, and that repair process involves retaining fluid for a brief time.

That said, she added that it was temporary, and that if the weight gain goes on more than, say, a week, that's not what it is. (It can also happen if you're a regular exerciser, but you start a new or more difficult routine.)

So if you've just started, it can be that. Otherwise, I'd echo the other poster and say that keeping close tabs on your eating is important. Exercise makes you hungrier. :)