Menu

Wholesome books for teen girls

Looking for wholesome books for girls ages 14 - 16. I'm so tired of all of the modern day books for teens that are all about problems and eating disorders and boyfriends and divorce... oh my! Our children will learn enough about all of that in real life! Give me books like Little Women, Cheaper by the Dozen, etc.! But I feel like we have read all of those! Does anyone have ideas for books that are perhaps a little out of the mainstream that would fit into that category but that we have not yet discovered?

Thank you, ahead of time!

I've recommended these a billion times, but anything by Grace Livingston Hill. She was a Christian romance writer during the first half of the 20th century, and her books are set in such contemporary (for her) settings as the Great Depression, the World Wars, Prohibition, etc. I started reading her books when I was a teen and loved them (not to mention that I learned tons about early 20th century history from her). I still own about 100 different titles of her books.

Gene Stratton-Porter was another wonderful early 20th century author. She wrote Girl of the Limberlost (fabulous), Freckles, The Harvester, etc. Girl of the Limberlost would be excellent for a young teen.

My dd is 15 and she loves Princess Academy, Goose Girl and Enna Burning by Shannon Hale. There is a little romance but they are definitley not ALL romance.

Other authors: Juliet Marilliet, Robin McKinley and Gail Carson Levine

Fantasy: Dragon Spell (Dragon Keepers Chronicles) by Donita K. Paul

The Door Within trilogy by Wayne Thomas Batson

The Lost Books by Ted Dekker

Anne of Green Gables

Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen

Misty of Chincoteague and others by Marguerite Henry

Some of the Lamplighter books? The Basket of Flowers, Amy and Her Brothers...

The Story of the Trapp Family Singers by Maria Augusta Trapp

Gene Stratton-Porter was another wonderful early 20th century author. She wrote Girl of the Limberlost (fabulous), Freckles, The Harvester, etc. Girl of the Limberlost would be excellent for a young teen.

I also like most of the books by Gene Stratton-Porter; however, I read Her Father's Daughter over the summer by her that was the most racist book I have ever read! Of course, at the time that the book was written, there was a lot of racism in the United States, but to today's reader, it is horrible!

I am sure you know about the Jane Austen books!

I also like:

Pollyanna and the sequels

Daddy Long Legs

Books by Margaret E. Bell (all based in Alaska): Flight from Love, Watch for a White Sail, Ride Out the Storm

My favorite author of all time is Elisabeth H. Friermood, especially her book Candle in the Sun.

There is some swearing in her teen books, so you may want to pre-read, but Elisabeth Ogilvie wrote some good teen novels based in Maine: Becky's Island, Blueberry Summer

Elizabeth Howard wrote some good books too: Out of Step with the Dancers (about a girl whose parent join the Shakers and she does not want to join), Girl of the North Country (about a girl who moves to Canada to help her parents found a colony for former slaves), Peddler's Girl

Books by Kate Douglas Wiggin (her most famous being Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm)

Books by Betty Cavanna

At that age, I really enjoyed any series by Robin Jones Gunn. Also, she may enjoy books by Karen Kingsbury. They are about Christian families.....they deal with sick kids, marriages, births, family issues, witnessing, the temptation that people go through....and they usually all center around a family. I love her books.

I've recommended these a billion times, but anything by Grace Livingston Hill. She was a Christian romance writer during the first half of the 20th century, and her books are set in such contemporary (for her) settings as the Great Depression, the World Wars, Prohibition, etc. I started reading her books when I was a teen and loved them (not to mention that I learned tons about early 20th century history from her). I still own about 100 different titles of her books.

:iagree: I loved GLH at that age and read tons of them. In fact, I have a bunch I need to sell. (Sure wish this house had more room for my library!) Pm me if interested.

I also recommend Grace Livingston Hill and Gene Straton Porter.

The Anne of Green Gables series is great, as are other books by Lucy Maud Montgomery (Emily of New Moon trilogy, for example).

At that age, I was starting to read historical Christian fiction by Janette Oke, Judith Pella, Michael Phillips. There is a lot of Christian fiction - modern or historical - written today that I would call wholesome. It hasn't stood the test of time like some of the other recommendations, but I think they make enjoyable reads. Scanning my bookshelves, here are some authors I would recommend (for teen girls and adult women): Tamera Alexander, Lynn Austen, Lawana Blackwell, Karen Kingsbury, Beverly Lewis, Tracie Peterson, Marian Well, Lorrie Wick.