Menu

Moms od scouts...how much do you do at home?

After attending a Boy Scout Eagle ceremony last night I am motivated to get my DD's butt in gear with her scout stuff. How much do you do at home? If you do, do you suggest working it into academics? Thanks!

When I was DD's scout leader, I worked many try-its and badges into her school work. She earned her Bronze Award in our troop. In 7th grade, she joined an older girls troop and we did a 180 degree turn...most of scout work was done at scouts. She earned her Silver Award with her troop.

Now, she had less than 2 years to earn her Gold Award and we are turning back to accomplishing most of it at home.

Your DD is 10? If I were you, I'd talk with the leaders, buy her a set of her own badge books and work as much as you can into her schoolwork.

But, that being said, I know they've changed EVERYTHING AGAIN so I am not exactly sure how it would work for you.

Good luck!

Your 6 yr old would be a daisy. It can be either way, at home or at a troop, but I would say if you find a troop for her, most or all of her stuff would be at meetings. When she becomes a brownie (2nd grade) it can be both ways. I lead the brownie scouts in meetings and we work at try its in the meetings and on field trips. But the girls are welcome to earn as many as they want at home too.

When my oldest was a daisy, there were no other daisies that signed up that year. So she attended the meetings with the brownies for fun, but we did daisy activities at home as part of our homeschool.

As for your older girl, I haven't done that yet. I think ours do some at home, and some at troop. Currently the juniors are working on a service project together at meetings. But the Ambassador working on her gold, is doing it alone at home.

Your 6 yr old would be a daisy. It can be either way, at home or at a troop, but I would say if you find a troop for her, most or all of her stuff would be at meetings. When she becomes a brownie (2nd grade) it can be both ways. I lead the brownie scouts in meetings and we work at try its in the meetings and on field trips. But the girls are welcome to earn as many as they want at home too.

When my oldest was a daisy, there were no other daisies that signed up that year. So she attended the meetings with the brownies for fun, but we did daisy activities at home as part of our homeschool.

As for your older girl, I haven't done that yet. I think ours do some at home, and some at troop. Currently the juniors are working on a service project together at meetings. But the Ambassador working on her gold, is doing it alone at home.

Is this girl using the new "Journeys" program?

I just got a look at it...I can only say UGH!

Is this girl using the new "Journeys" program?

I just got a look at it...I can only say UGH!

Uh-Huh. OP, you can do as much as you want at home. However, I would talk to her leader first, as a courtesy. You will have to provide proof to the leader, because she must sign off- and order the badge. If you can incorporate it into academics, I would.

I was a GS and a leader and am interested in how the program has changed. :bigear:

I looked at the Journey book for girls (not the adult book). It is called: Your Voice, Your World: The Power of Advocacy.

Here is the description from GS website:

Your Voice, Your World:

The Power of Advocacy

How often have you seen something that really needed to be changed and wondered, "Why isn’t someone doing something about that?" This journey gives Girl Scout Ambassadors a way to be that someone—an advocate with the power to start the first flutter of real and lasting change. While creating their own "butterfly effect," they'll gain an array of skills—such as networking, planning and learning to speak up for what they believe—that will benefit them as they prepare for life beyond high school.

Journey Awards

This journey offers Ambassadors the tools to dig for the root of an issue they deeply care about and then to explore possible solutions. As they advocate for a solution, girls at the highest level of Girl Scouts will develop confidence and valuable leadership skills—problem-solving, research, networking, persuasive speaking and consensus-building. These skills are a strong foundation for girls to be leaders who speak up for what they believe in life now—and into the future!

•The Girl Scout Advocate Award is earned by Girl Scout Ambassadors who choose to complete the eight Steps to Advocacy as they explore an issue that they find intriguing and exciting, engage community partners and advocate for change. Whether or not their advocacy effort succeeds, girls will have taken steps to make the world a better place!

My dd has to do/complete one of the "Journey" books as a prerequisite to beginning her Gold project. This particular Journey book is so similar to what she would do for her project that I think it would be like doing 2 projects. Plus, and keep in mind this book is written for 11 & 12 graders, one of the stories of "advocacy" was about a mom from Central America whose DD was kidnapped and sold into prostitution. The mom basically made it her life's purpose to fight this horror. It is a vital, worthy important story but I don't think it belonged in a book for 16 year olds.

There are 2 Journey books out now and 1 more to be published. I am hoping to find something more appropriate for my DD.

Yes I believe it is the journeys program. I really want her to earn her gold award when she gets to that level. She is in juniors now as a 10 year old but hasn't gotten much done. I am going to use school time for assigning reading and research and stuff. Hopefully we an get her going. DH handles the boys which is why DS is ready for his Eagle board just 2 months after turning 15! Driven much?

Uh-Huh. OP, you can do as much as you want at home. However, I would talk to her leader first, as a courtesy. You will have to provide proof to the leader, because she must sign off- and order the badge. If you can incorporate it into academics, I would.

Unicorn,

are you familiar with the books?

My dd's leaders say all the levels are just not something they like at all.

Yes I believe it is the journeys program. I really want her to earn her gold award when she gets to that level. She is in juniors now as a 10 year old but hasn't gotten much done. I am going to use school time for assigning reading and research and stuff. Hopefully we an get her going. DH handles the boys which is why DS is ready for his Eagle board just 2 months after turning 15! Driven much?

I think she earns her Bronze Award as a junior. Good luck!