Menu

Runners - knee pain

I'm having the same problem. I just started running outside and am up to pretty long runs. I just spent a FORTUNE on Asics running shoes, but it hasn't helped much! I am being told that I need rest days. I've just always done the treadmill every day. I guess pounding the pavement is harder on your body, though, and rest days are crucial.

I've wondered about the braces...curious to see what others say!! :001_smile:

go to this site and try to pinpoint the spot.

http://www.runnersworld.com/runnersbody/tool.html

It's a tool to help you figure out the type of injury. You can also find out what to do to help.

Knee pain can be a lot of things. It could be your stride, or weak leg muscles, or weak hip muscles, or any number of issues. I would see if you can figure it out on the site.

I hope you can figure it out and fix it! I hate mysterious pain, especially if it interferes with my running.

Did you get your shoes from a running store where they watched you run? There are so many types of shoes, just feeling good on your feet and being expensive is not good enough. If the pain started relatively soon after getting the shoes, even if they are professionally fitted, I would go back to the running store.

Rest days are important. If you are running every day, you need to take a day off every few days to give your body time to recover.

Finally, if the road you run on slopes to the curb, you might need to change the side of the road you run on, so that you are not always running with your left side on the lowest part of the road. Does that make sense???

Since you've already eliminated the shoes as a problem, my running coach would then say....

Often times knee pain is a result of tight hips. Get those hips, glutes, and hamstrings stretched out VERY well after you runs and maybe it'll make a difference the next day when you run. There are lots of stretches you can do if you google it.

HTH! Keep running!

Knee pain can be a lot of things. It could be your stride, or weak leg muscles, or weak hip muscles, or any number of issues. I would see if you can figure it out on the site.

:iagree: My knee pain was radiant pain from my Illio-tibial (sp?) band (IT Band) which runs down the outside of the leg from the hip to the knee. Once I started doing exercises for the IT Band, the knee pain went away as well.

The clockwork part sounds like IT Band stuff to me too. They say that for most people it kicks in at the same mileage (whether that 200meters or 20 miles) every time. For me, it was 3 miles. It was like flipping a switch. And then, suddenly, I had to stop and limp home.

For me, I kept running, but stopped short of that mileage for a couple of weeks -- so I was still running, but I was resting more. I had about two weeks of much lighter runs, then I ran 6 miles and it never kicked in. It hasn't been an issue since.

The other thing I'll suggest is KT Tape. If you search YouTube for KT Tape, you can see how to apply it specifically for IT Band pain. I bought some based on the *rave* reviews of friends, but ended up not needing it. I'm still keeping it on hand in case of other injuries.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for this thread!!!!!!!! I have had this exact thing and could not figure out what it was. I thought I was going to have to give up running because I have a herniated disk in my back that throws my hip out and when that happens, my knee gets this, so I thought it was some big complicated thing to do with my back that I thought I would have to find some wonderful PT to figure out!!!!

I am SO amazed at how perfectly it fits with the symptom of starting up at a certain mileage. I run the same route each time, and I'm not kidding, it is in the IDENTICAL spot each time (give or take several yards or so).

It is so interesting that I somehow knew that it was tied into my hip. What a huge relief to figure out what this is!!!!! THank you!

Off to research more on how to "fix" it!!

Edited by HappyGrace

Off to research more on how to "fix" it!!

Here's the link on how to apply the KT Tape I mentioned:

http://www.kttape.com/instructions/itbs-knee-x/

I'd absolutely try it if I face this problem again. My brother had the same experience I did though, that a couple of weeks of reduced mileage and extra rest helped. I think he also used those incredibly dorky bands that you sometimes see runners wearing just above or below the knee. ;) They look like little tourniquets, but I don't know what they're called. Again, only for a short time though.

Oh, and I also did quite a few leg lifts (particularly the sort where you lie on one side and lift your top leg, then after however many repetitions, put that leg on the ground, forward of your body, and lift your bottom leg as much as it will go for a similar number of repetitions). This is supposed to strengthen the band so it doesn't have this problem...

Anyway, I hope you figure out something that will help and make this go away! I was so *frustrated* 'cause I'd be running along just fine until that same moment every time!

What can I do to stop knee pain when I run? It comes at 15 min. in. Like clockwork. Would a knee support thing help? I purchased new, very good sneakers but it didn't improve it at all.

Fish oils have been known to help with the pain, as well as glucosamine. Are you rolling your foot through every stride? Does that make sense? Sometimes becoming aware of how you are running can help.

I'm sorry. I know first hand how frustrating knee pain can be.

Thank you so much for your advice and suggestions. We are in the middle of renos and my tread mill is now apart in my living room :( I will definitely look into the products that some of you mentioned. I really want to get back in to running, but the knee pain is so frustrating.

Thanks so much!