Menu

Can anyone post how they met a Health/PE credit??

For us, it's just a check-the-box subject -- basically just "git 'er done!"

My son has been involved in Tae Kwon Do -- classes twice a week, so I figure that will count for the PE part. I gave him a half credit of PE every year except 12th. He's still doing Tae Kwon Do, but we didn't need any more credits.

For the health part, one of the years I bought the high school level Total Health book (I think the author was S. Boe?) used. I skimmed it, decided what parts were useful and what could be skipped, and just had him read it. Every once in a while I asked him a few questions to verify that at least some of it was actually being retained.

My daughter was similar, but the PE portion of hers has varied... a course taken at the local Y for homeschoolers, horseback riding, Tae Kwon Do for a while, too. She's probably only going to have a single credit -- half in 9th grade and half in 10th.

BTW, I make it pass/fail so I don't have to worry about not having anything to grade.

HTH

Debbie

Thank you all! It is definitely a git 'er done subject here too! My daughter wants to take an ice skating class with the county, but it's just for a few weeks and I don't see how that could fill the PE portion for even a half credit. I suppose we could do something like that each quarter and add it all up.

I am only needing 1, possibly 2, credits total for HS and don't want to make it more complicated than it needs to be. I LOVE the pass/fail idea. Pfew - that is really a lifesaver!!

I can tell you that at my son's public charter high school that was a regular school with a regular high school schedule, units, college prep, AP's, etc. they had "contract P.E." which meant they had to fill out forms stating that they had completed 3 hours and 20 minutes of physical activity (walking, jogging, skateboarding, swimming, surfing, bike riding, etc. all counted) per week for 36 weeks per school year. They had to complete 72-75 hours per semester. I had to sign the forms each week. That's it. Kids who graduate from that school get into good public and private colleges regularly. (My son, a life long homeschooler, only went there for his freshman year and is now homeschooling independently. Once a homeschooler.... :D).

Edited by Zanyan

More specifically...what you used for Health (quick and easy) and the best way to do the P.E. portion for a non-sportsy kid??

Thanks so much!!

We used Lifetime Health, Friedman et al., Holt, 2004, ISBN 0030646146 for our health text. It seemed very thorough and I gave my twins a full credit for completing the full text and doing several projects/activities.

For P.E.. my Dd is very sportsy and studies/trains/teaches/competes Kung Fu about 20 hours a week.

Ds though is not sportsy. He does Kung Fu twice a week for 45 minutes each time. He also does bowling league once a week for 2 hours and currently taking private lessons in bowling 1 hour a week. He also walks the two miles (round trip) with me when I go to pick up youngest from school 2-3 times a week.

Using Total Health for text. combined with some religious book on dating/marriage/relationships (the Josh Harris book, kissing dating goodbye)

PE: archery, ballet, walking.

other things to feel like we get it done: proper care of braces on teeth, making all ortho appointments, going to chiropractor, paying attention that when 14 y.o kids die in car wrecks that a seat belt could have saved her life and the driver (age 18) shouldn't have been speeding.

real life stuff. I figure if we go through a text book and stay healthy and alive, we're getting it done.

PE activities for a non sports kid: what about individual fitness stuff too (walking, just dancing to music, weight lifting at the gym,) stuff like that.

-crystal

We would do units on different sports. I would buy or get books from the library on a sport and I would devise drills that would improve the child's ability to play the game in a group, if he got the chance.

For example, basketball drills included practice in shooting hoops and dribbling while standing in place and dribbling while running, and I'm not sure what else.

We also had charts for cardiovascular fitness and strength training exercises.

Sometimes I even devised tests for the units, both on the reading material, and the drills.

Sometimes I found videos too.

I took PE quite seriously, with my younger child, as we were not able to afford any outside activities in this area when he was in his teens, and he was quite the couch potato.

We had a well thought out unit planned for each month, even when I was so burnt out I was just popping in videos for history.

Edited by Hunter

We will use the physical activities we are already doing: hiking, rock climbing, biking and horseback riding to satisfy the PE requirement.

I find it important that my kids become engaged in physical activities they can pursue throughout their lives and not just in highschool (how many 50 year olds are still playing a balls sport on a team???)

I am planning on using AOP's health quest for high school health credit. This year, dd is playing basketball and volleyball through a local church that has enough hours to count for a credit. I also plan for her to take a first aid and CPR training class.

Some other local families are doing fencing and golf for non-sporty dc.

On the homeschool profile that I sent with my daughter's college applications, I had the following statement:

"DD has no formal Health credit on her transcript; however, we have covered this subject on an informal basis throughout her high school years."

So, I did not issue any credit for Health. Just another approach for you to consider.

Regards,

Kareni

For the gym part, I just totaled up several things my kids were involved in throughout their high school years and counted them as two 1/2 credit classes (which is what our local high school requires, so I do the same). This might be a homeschool gym class, long bike rides with the family, a dance class, hiking in the woods, etc. There was even a homeschool Presidential Fitness Award program that our homeschool group was involved with, which required a certain number of hours/week, for six weeks (I think). To count as 1/2 credit, I believe a course has to include 60 hours.

It IS important for me that my children find something to do for exercise, so I've always looked hard to find some physical activity my children will enjoy. One child in particular just wasn't getting into ANYthing, until she discovered biking. It's about the only physical activity she'll go and do on her own and actually enjoy. We live in a snowy state, so she also has an inexpensive student membership at a gym now, where she can go on a stationary bike.

For the health part, I've done different things, all of which were just to say we did it. I wasn't concerned about it because we discuss health and healthy lifestyle choices a lot in our home. I've had them do SOS High School Health, or Total Health, or even just some health books at the library. I don't test them on it, I just have them read it. We've covered it all before they even read the books.

I think the S/U ("Satisfactory" or "Unsatisfactory") grade is fine.

Health/ Life Management Skills - we have to do a 1/2 credit for his umbrella school...

Since it is in Florida, it has that broader Life Management focus... I first saw the plan for the Florida Virtual School course and liked the material covered but found it too expensive

Then I asked on the board in this thread:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/215928-life-management-skills-health-course-variations-in-fl/

So now I'm using different materials to try to cover the content in the FLVS course.

What we're ending up doing...
Alpha Omega High School Health - we'll see if he can test out of the content that he has already covered in real life so he'll have some graded work and then do the rest of the chapters and exercises where he needs to learn more.

Quieting a Noisy Soul by Jim Berg to learn to deal with the stresses of life.

Life Prep for Homeschooled Teenagers - for the other very practical skills.

Red Cross babysitting course.....

PE - various sports courses and track team...

I can tell you what I'm going to do, and dd is not interested in a team sport or anything like that at all.

For health, I plan on using MFW's Health. For PE, I'm expecting .5 credit each year. I figure if she exercises 30 minutes 3 times a week, that should suffice. I will let her choose the activities, and I'll keep a log. I will count walking, biking, swimming, playing basketball in the cul-de-sac, etc. I am going to be a Wii Balance Board and fitness program before next school year, so I would count that also.