Menu

Classical Writing--religious content??

woolybear

I didn't get this sense from the samples I saw, but I read in a post here that someone sold her CW because it was too religious for her. I generally prefer secular materials, but I feel some things can be adapted. Can anyone please tell me more about this aspect of CW? I'm considering Aesop and the Primer levels.

Out of the 20 or so lessons (give or take) there are usually around 3 models that are taken out of the King James bible. They are fabulous to include because it is not easy to re-write them and they really challenge your child to build his/her writing skills. I usually made dd do only 2 out of the 3, given that they were so difficult, but I noticed her writing improved greatly with the challenge.

CW is such a great program, it would be a shame to throw out the whole program just because of a few models with biblical content, if you so object to them. You could always leave them out or substitute other models; CW is very flexible in this aspect. The other models are from Aesop, James Baldwin, Beatrix Potter etc. The great thing about CW is that all their models teach good character or have some sort of lesson involved. Worth it in my books! :001_smile:

Out of the 20 or so lessons (give or take) there are usually around 3 models that are taken out of the King James bible. They are fabulous to include because it is not easy to re-write them and they really challenge your child to build his/her writing skills. I usually made dd do only 2 out of the 3, given that they were so difficult, but I noticed her writing improved greatly with the challenge.

CW is such a great program, it would be a shame to throw out the whole program just because of a few models with biblical content, if you so object to them. You could always leave them out or substitute other models; CW is very flexible in this aspect. The other models are from Aesop, James Baldwin, Beatrix Potter etc. The great thing about CW is that all their models teach good character or have some sort of lesson involved. Worth it in my books! :001_smile:

I noticed James Baldwin, Beatrix Potter, Aesop so that is why in large part I became interested. Thank you for your help. I most likely will use this program.

I didn't get this sense from the samples I saw, but I read in a post here that someone sold her CW because it was too religious for her. I generally prefer secular materials, but I feel some things can be adapted. Can anyone please tell me more about this aspect of CW? I'm considering Aesop and the Primer levels.

My dd didn't like the idea of rewriting Biblical passages, so I substitute them all. With Aesop it is really easy because they are at the end of each level. I just hand my kids a book of Aesop fables and allow them to choose their own models for those weeks. (And they usually choose the shortest models they can find. :rolleyes: ) Homer A is a little more challenging because it is mid level. I had to choose a different model for them to use. It worked out OK other than one of the weeks I chose a model that was one of their favorite stories, but way too long for the assignment. The next week we used something much shorter. In B I believe the focus has not been actually Biblical pieces but stories of saints. I didn't substitute those, but it wouldn't be that difficult to. The hardest thing is you don't have an answer key, so keep that in mind when choosing your model.

The poetry does have a few hymns.

Heather