Menu

Anyone used....

the writing products from the Analytical Grammar author? Just curious. I am trying to get mine to move on from papragrahs to essays. Any other to the point curriculum like this?

I bought both of them, because they sounded great based on the videos on the website. They are very very very VERY basic. The essay one is really just a few pieces of hole-punched paper with a rubric and some basic directions, a few fill-in-the-blank pages, and bad photocopies of three short stories. There are directions on what to write for each and every sentence of the 5 paragraph essays on the included short stories. There's a DVD too, but I didn't even look at it, because it was clear from the pages that this wasn't going to work for me. The research one was slightly more involved, but nothing you couldn't find for free on the internet.

The one thing they have going for them is they're cheap. But (IMHO) unless you truly have no clue what a 5 paragraph essay looks like, it's not worth $15.

Jackie

We used the Essay one last year at the end of 8th grade. It greatly improved dd's essay writing ability. Finally, after doing several other writing programs, she can write a really nice essay. At the end of the course, she told me she never knew writing could be that simple. She is not a natural writer, it does not come easy for her. This program showed her the how and why in very a simple, direct manner. For us, it was time and money well spent. I have not as of yet used The Research Paper.