Menu

Considering some history/science/bible changes....help?

mothergooseof4

I was at a hsing event the other day when a newer hsing mom asked me how long I have been hsing. 10 yrs! She did a mock bowing gesture and I assured her that I was still learning and adapting. Funny how after all this time, I still don't have it all figured out. Different kids, different family dynamics, different needs, different goals = changes!

I just received Phonics Road and will be starting it on Monday with my 5th, 2nd, and 1st graders. I have different goals for each of them and I think this will be a start in the right direction. I will be dropping ALL other LA programs and focusing here for now. A little nervous about that with the 5th grader, but I am gonna jump right in, accelerate him, and trust that it will develop the lacking skills.

Now, for history/science. Oldest has used HOD loosely for the past couple of years. I say loosely because I we have yet to finish a guide and I skip all artsy stuff (he hates it) and I am unskilled at narration so I have never been good about developing those skills in him.

This year I put him in CTC and youngers in Beyond. Oldest is getting the history/science/bible done from CTC, but Beyond is not happening. Seems that just LA/math take most of our day and I need to move to other responsibilities. We do not/will not be using the math or LA from either guide.

I am wanting a change in history, bible, and science. I am very interested in having no formal history/science curriculum and just doing interest lead studies. But, how will I know they cover everything they need? How will they even know what they want to study? Will it make sense when studied in bits and pieces here and there? Will they ever see the big picture?

I am also interested in studying together as a family. So, something like MFW interests me. What other programs are designed to be used for multiple ages? I know of TOG, but it does not interest me. I want something open and go. I own MOH 1 and like it, but need readers and stuff scheduled for me. Plus, the other volumes look like they get to be too much for younger kids.

So, help me decide between letting go of history/science and letting them go their own ways. How does it work? Or, do I go with a study that we do all together? Sitting and reading in the evenings as a family really gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling, but who knows if it would actually happen!!!!

I'm going to bump you for ideas!

My kids are young so I can't help much but I will say that, for me, interest led doesn't equal open and go. It sounds like you really need something that is truly open and go so I'm not sure how interest led would work unless you were thinking just look up the topic and pull library books type of thing? Could the oldest be responsible for finding and checking out books on the topics selected perhaps? HOD is (I think) one of the most open and go programs and you said you're having issues with it so I might be inclined to be thinking along the read alouds type idea perhaps for that reason alone. Maybe set aside specific times for those read alouds (right after breakfast for science, right before the youngest gets ready for bed for history for example?) Another thought would be to just do SOTW readings (maybe with coloring pages for those who want them) for your history and then once a week a more formal science program as well--one that is all there either complete with supplies (kit types) or at least with well laid out plans and easy to gather supply lists. Maybe the oldest could take some responsibility to gather materials for a weekly science experiment from a book? Oh, on the bible. I am doing Karyn Henley Day by Day devotions. I find them really good and meaningful. The subtitle is "7 minute character growing devotions for kids" and you could easily incorporate that into your day. The book has easy but meaningful activity suggestions too--easy as in very easy--so if you wanted you could do that as well. We memorize the main verse for each week as well.

Edited by sbgrace

I am wanting a change in history, bible, and science. I am very interested in having no formal history/science curriculum and just doing interest lead studies. But, how will I know they cover everything they need?

Unless your state requires testing in history and science, then whatever y'all study is what your dc need. :-)

How will they even know what they want to study?

This is related to your question below.

Will it make sense when studied in bits and pieces here and there? Will they ever see the big picture?

Yes.

I am also interested in studying together as a family. So, something like MFW interests me. What other programs are designed to be used for multiple ages? I know of TOG, but it does not interest me. I want something open and go. I own MOH 1 and like it, but need readers and stuff scheduled for me. Plus, the other volumes look like they get to be too much for younger kids.

Well, you know, if y'all are learning together, then you don't need to worry about what they want to study. Pick something you like and take them along with you. If you leave things open, your studies will be interesting for all of you. And really and truly, you don't have to buy someone else's guide; when you're doing things with your own family, you'll be surprised at how creative and industrious you'll be.:-)

I agree with Ellie on this. Just go with what sounds good to you. There are alot of unit studies out there but you could also just pick a topic. Say for example your kiddos want to learn about clouds. Great, go to the library find some good books they like. Check the internet for any easy experiments or crafts. Let you 5th grader do a notebook page and a lab sheet for any experiments, have the younger draw pictures of what they learned. That's it! In science I tend to ask the girls what they want to learn about. Then we go from there. They have learned stuff all over the map but they have learned alot and they love it!. As far as history good luck with that! We use TQ and then I search things out online for crafts to add to it. It should be easy but history is my first love so I have a hard time letting some things go I forget they don't need to learn everyhting in history right now.