Menu

Holiday Literature

Maybe there is already a thread like this somewhere (I looked but couldn't find one), but I'm looking for books to read with my 7 year old this holiday season. We are just finishing up The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (which I'm reading to him), and I was hoping to start something interesting, Christmas-y, but not too intense (we're not quite ready for Dickens!). Any suggestions?

TIA!

Well, if you happen to be looking for an Advent family read-aloud/devotional, check out Bartholomew's Passage, Tabitha's Travels, or Jotham's Journey; all are by Arnold Ytreeide. This is one of our favorite Advent traditions. We read Bartholomew's Passage last year and the kids are already asking when we'll start this year's book!

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/easy_find?Ntk=keywords&Ntt=Arnold+Ytreeide&action=Search&kw=arnold%20ytreeide&event=PPCSRC&p=1018818&cm_mmc=Google-_-Seasonal-_-christmas-advent-_-arnold%20ytreeide&gclid=CL7_u_eEnqUCFYNk7AodPywpJQ

Maybe there is already a thread like this somewhere (I looked but couldn't find one), but I'm looking for books to read with my 7 year old this holiday season. We are just finishing up The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (which I'm reading to him), and I was hoping to start something interesting, Christmas-y, but not too intense (we're not quite ready for Dickens!). Any suggestions?

TIA!

I agree with The Best Christmas Pageant Ever.

I recommend The Nutcracker by E.T.A. Hoffman. There is so much to the story than what is portrayed in the ballet and it is not "girly" at all. We have the version illustrated by Maurice Sendack - It's great!!

Geraldine McCaughrean's The Jesse Tree makes for a nice advent reading.

Since my kids were probably about 4 or 5, we read A Christmas Carol, The Gift of the Magi, a version of the Nutcracker, and at times we've also read The Best Christmas Pageant Ever or The Family Under the Bridge.

Even though you didn't ask, there are movies and TV shows that are a part of our Christmas traditions too. It's a Wonderful Life, A Christmas Carol (love this story, can you tell?!), Elf, Charlie Brown Christmas, Rodolph the Red-Nosed Raindeer.