Menu

CLE Language Arts....talk to me

TXMary2

I am considering CLE Language Arts for both my remaining students. My 6 yo ds is blowing through FLL 1/2 so far and he has the noun thing down! We are doing ETC and OPGTR in addition to FLL. We sometimes practice handwriting, but mostly I just let the writing he needs to do for all his work be his "writing practice." We don't do spelling because really he is learning to spell using ETC- currently on book 2. I looked at the samples and the Grade 1 first book looks too easy.

Would using Grade 1 CLE be overkill if we are using ETC? I wouldn't start CLE until we finished the FLL book we have, but I'd like to do ETC to the last book.

My 14 yo is using R&S 7 and he hates it. He doesn't have to like it, but I think not being a R&S user prior to this is making it more painful. We are only on lesson 10 and we started school in August! I looked at the CLE LA7 and I really like how it looks and that it still incudes spelling and copywork/handwriting scripture. Does CLE do a thorough job of explaining sentence diagramming?

I can't help you with your youngest, but I can tell you that my 13 yo LOVES CLE's LA. He does very well with his diagramming, and only makes the occasional mistake...so I am assuming it teaches well. :confused: All I do is grade and administer the tests/quizzes. It can't hurt to give CLE a try. Perhaps just purchase the first 3 light units and see how it 'fits.' ;)

I started ds in CLE LA last January. I wasn't using FLL, but I was using separate programs for grammar, penmanship, phonics, and spelling. I was able to condense down to just CLE which was a huge help.

I used the 2nd edition of the LA which is only available in the 1st grade level. It really covered quite a bit for first grade. I am using 2nd grade now. The format of the pages is set up much differently because it is the 1st edition. We've also covered some things this year that were covered last year, but there has been new also.

I can't say it is the best program out there because I could never know that without trying them all. I can say that it covers what is needed, and it is great to have it all in one consumable book. We are finishing up LU 203 right now. This year it has covered sentences (statements, questions, and phrases), nouns, verbs, pronouns, using words such as have/had, a/an, to,two,too, lots of spelling rules, syllables, etc. Some of that was covered last year, too.

Good luck making your decision.

A direct link to the pdf file -- http://www.clp.org/documents/2694/original/Language_Arts_Diagnostic_Tests_100-400.pdf

A link to all the diagnostic tests -- http://www.clp.org/store/by_grade/21

I use CLE with my middle daughter and we're definitely happy with it. I enjoy having everything in one place and we go at the pace that works best for her.

Good luck!

A direct link to the pdf file -- http://www.clp.org/documents/2694/original/Language_Arts_Diagnostic_Tests_100-400.pdf

A link to all the diagnostic tests -- http://www.clp.org/store/by_grade/21

I use CLE with my middle daughter and we're definitely happy with it. I enjoy having everything in one place and we go at the pace that works best for her.

Good luck!

Thanks!

Be sure and look at this Handbook. It is very useful for the 7th grade and higher LA light units. Beside the review exercises in each lesson, CLE lists reference page numbers for this handbook. It has been great for me, because I'm a math person and I don't always understand the rules or remember them as well as I would like. I could quote the quadratic formula in my sleep, but grammar is something that I always have to review and look up.