Menu

? for those who use MM and LOF

robsiew

We switched to MM this past summer. Before that my ds was in MUS Epsilon. We were doing LOF Fractions alongside. Then I put LOF aside in order to switch to MM. When did you start LOF Fractions if you use MM? My ds is just finishing up the 4th grade Light Blue and going into the 5th grade. Do you think this is a good time? It was very obvious with MUS because it's single topic, but with MM I'm not sure that he will have the skills necessary to do LOF? Or will Fred just teach him and it's okay if he hasn't gotten to it yet in MM?

Thanks for any input! :001_smile:

• 4 weeks later...
Reviving an old thread because I have the exact same same question. Can anyone offer advice??

TIA

The easy answer would be to use the MM Blue topical series. Then, you could use LoF Fractions after MM Fractions 2 as fun review and expansion of the topics while working through MM Decimals 2 and MM Place Value 5. Then, do LoF Decimals and Percents to review and expand while doing MM Four Ops and MM Ratios & Proportions & Problem Solving. Finish MM while doing LoF Pre-Alg.

This is totally hypothetical. I have not done this, but now you have me thinking that maybe my bonus student would benefit from it!

Mandy

• 2 weeks later...
The easy answer would be to use the MM Blue topical series. Then, you could use LoF Fractions after MM Fractions 2 as fun review and expansion of the topics while working through MM Decimals 2 and MM Place Value 5. Then, do LoF Decimals and Percents to review and expand while doing MM Four Ops and MM Ratios & Proportions & Problem Solving. Finish MM while doing LoF Pre-Alg.

This is totally hypothetical. I have not done this, but now you have me thinking that maybe my bonus student would benefit from it!

Mandy

That would be **easy**, however I really like the Light Blue. I do have the blue as well. I think I'll just start adding it in as an extra piece... not try to line it up. If it starts to get frustrating because we haven't covered something we can stop... seems like not many people who use MM use LOF too. I'm thinking it's a good "real math" piece though to give some experience in that area. Although, I would have to say, compared to MUS (which we were using) the problems in MM are much more real life and much more challenging. I don't feel the need for Fred as much any more, however my ds likes it and wants to do it!

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

I don't think the child needs to have even been exposed to fractions before starting LOF Fractions. I think the author says that they need to have mastered addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.