Menu

Anyone switch *from* AAS *to* SWR??

lovinmomma

Well I was using SWR, switched to AAS and then went back to SWR, does that count? :lol:

I switched back to SWR because I missed the flexibility that SWR provides. I'm able to tailor it to my student much more easily than I can with AAS. I like and use some of the ideas from AAS but I just prefer the customization that SWR gives me. Also AAS moves so slowly whereas with SWR I can cover material at whatever pace I need to and not worry about whether or not I can afford the next level yet or not. Also, I thought my kids would enjoy the letter tiles in AAS but they didn't and it was hard trying to find somewhere to put that big white board where little hands would not enjoy pulling and scattering all those colorful tiles and both the kids and I found it extremely tedious to reorganize the board every single time we wanted to use it whether because a toddler found it or if we removed the tiles everyday so they wouldn't mess with them. Oh I almost forgot the cards. All those cards drove me batty! I much prefer having just 70 phonogram cards and 29 rule cards to keep up with than the hundreds and hundreds of phonogram, rule, word ... ugh! Much easier to me to have the kids write their words in their spelling book (we've even made our own spelling books before with just plain lined paper and a binder).

For us, AAS sounded like a good idea in theory and maybe if I was not already really familiar with Spalding from having been taught as a child I would have found AAS more helpful but in the end it was a big flop here. I still recommend it for someone whose not sure if Spalding is for them and not sure they have the time to learn a program like SWR, Riggs or WRTR or don't have the money for Phonics Road.

Why? :bigear:

Julie,

Yes, HiddenJewel did. I will speak for her because she doesn't visit these forms anymore, but you could PM or e-mail her.

In her case she had two older children (high school and Jr. high) and two young children (K and toddler). The words were very simplistic for her older girls and she wanted a program that taught them to read. Thus she went to SWR. Last I saw her post on a different form it was working well for all.

I have considered it for my ds, but he fine motor problems. I am concerned that the writing would be too much. But I might change my mind. :D

Heather

Julie,

Yes, HiddenJewel did. I will speak for her because she doesn't visit these forms anymore, but you could PM or e-mail her.

In her case she had two older children (high school and Jr. high) and two young children (K and toddler). The words were very simplistic for her older girls and she wanted a program that taught them to read. Thus she went to SWR. Last I saw her post on a different form it was working well for all.

I have considered it for my ds, but he fine motor problems. I am concerned that the writing would be too much. But I might change my mind. :D

Heather

She is vey active on the SWR yahoo group so you might see her around there also.