Menu

DD has iron deficiency but no red blood cell problem

I have no experience at all with iron deficiency but know it is fairly common so I have some questions for the Hive. My dd, who is suffering from low blood pressure and near fainting, has just had a test result come back that she is iron deficient. Now she had previous tests where her Red Blood Count came up in a good range so I don't quite understand. How is her RBC normal but her iron low? She does not have heavy periods, and does eat red meat almost every day. She will be seeing her cardiologist on Monday and he says he will prescribe iron pills then. Just one more pill for the poor girl to take. She is already taking two medicines for ADHD, one medicine for both headaches and PMDD, one for the salt problem part of her Low blood pressure, and now iron.

Don't know why, though I like ktgrok's explanation. I can say, though, that both my ds and I live with the same scenario. My ds has had many, many tests trying to determine why he is anemic, and we cannot find a reason. We have had to accept that both he and I struggle with chronic anemia for unknown reasons, so we supplement.

If her count is normal, but she's anemic, then there is a problem with her red blood cells, they just haven't told you what it is.

How is her RBC normal but her iron low?
Here's a list of test names relevant to red blood cells.

Do you know which were normal and which were abnormal?

Red blood cell count

Hemoglobin

Hematocrit

MCV

MCH

MCHC

RDW

The second 3 values are calculated using the first 3. Knowing which numbers are abnormal gives clues to the type of anemia you're dealing with.

I would also be checking to see if anemia is a possible side effect of one of her other meds.

For example, iron deficiency anemia would present with low MCV (a measure of red blood cell volume) and/or low MCH (a measure of hemoglobin per cell).

Vitamin B12 deficiency anemia, on the other hand, causes elevated MCV.

Edited by jplain

the doctor checked B12 and folic acid, because a deficiency in these can cause anemia. They also checked for blood in the stools and other things that I can't remember. What my problem turned out to be was celiac disease. I wasn't absorbing nutrients. I have no anemia problems at all now. Removing gluten also cleared up a few other health problems for me. You might have her tested to be sure, but make sure she eats gluten daily before the test or a sensitivity won't show up.

Good luck; anemia is no fun.

What my problem turned out to be was celiac disease. I wasn't absorbing nutrients. I have no anemia problems at all now. Removing gluten also cleared up a few other health problems for me. You might have her tested to be sure' date=' but make sure she eats gluten daily before the test or a sensitivity won't show up.

[/quote']

Same situation here. I had unexplained anemia and other issues for years. Eliminating gluten was the solution.

~Kathy

I have Iron Deficiency Anemia. You can't be DX with this based on one number. And btw, my RBC's have always been fine.

You have to have a full panel of bloodwork, like the poster above gave. PLUS, a Saturation Rate, Ferritin level(iron storage), and Serum Iron.

This, along with the above tests, can give your Dr a DX of of anemia.

I see a hematologist. I would get a second opinion with one. You do not want your daughter taking iron pills if she really isn't iron deficient.

Also, when your bloodwork is done, those results will vary from the time of day, to the time of month. You should know when your last period was, so that when the results are read, the Dr knows how many days it has been since your last cycle.

During your period, your iron levels, and hemoglobin is lower. Mid-cycle, higher.

The other thing that may happen is your WBC would be high.

Serum Iron above 60

Ferritin above 100(low end is 30 but menstruating women should have a minimum of 100)

Sat Rate above 20

Hemoglobin above 13(low end is 12)

My ferritin was an 8, and sat rate at 13.

Seeing a hematologist who specializes in this is your best way to go.

ETA: IF she has to take Iron pills, see if she can take Vitron-C. This is what I take. No side effects, no constipation. And it has Vitamin C in it to help absorb it. I also take Floradix. I get this from Vitacost.

Edited by dancer67

Iron is a tricky one, but you lose your iron stores (in the bone, or you never got them), then your iron levels drop, then your red cells become microcytic (small) THEN you have anemia. Lots of things affect the assays for the blood, and the tests have to be taken in concert. I see many people slapped on iron pills (not a picnic to take) when they have a low Fe level, with all the other labs not supporting the diagnosis. It isn't quite that simple.

We don't absorb iron that well. Some people are particularly poor at it.

Iron is a tricky one, but you lose your iron stores (in the bone, or you never got them), then your iron levels drop, then your red cells become microcytic (small) THEN you have anemia. Lots of things affect the assays for the blood, and the tests have to be taken in concert. I see many people slapped on iron pills (not a picnic to take) when they have a low Fe level, with all the other labs not supporting the diagnosis. It isn't quite that simple.

We don't absorb iron that well. Some people are particularly poor at it.

:iagree:

I have iron deficiency but everything else seems normal just low iron stores. I felt dreadful until I started taking iron about 5 weeks ago. It took about a week for me to feel noticeably better and less tired. My serum ferritin was 5. I don't know why I am so iron deficient. I am continuing to see a doctor and had a host of tests last month.

I also have low blow blood pressure and tend to have a fast pulse.