Menu

On a scale of 1 to 10 how liberal would you say St. John's Universty (NY) is?

Karenciavo

My son doesn't mind attending a secular or liberal college, he's applying to some state schools here in NJ (that's my evidence :D) Anyway, how would you rate St. John's University on a scale of 1 to 10 as far as how liberal it is. My ds got a priority letter from them (free app, no essay, no recommendation - that kind of scares me right there :001_huh:) and will probably apply. He doesn't mind defending his views, but well, I wouldn't want him to feel on the defensive constantly, KWIM?

thanks,

karen

Well, I went to a Jesuit school, and it was quite liberal. I did a quick search and see that St. John's is not Jesuit, so that knocks you down out of the 10 category, I'm guessing. Their core values seem sensible and I didn't see what I think would be red flags for a conservative ("truth" and "love" and "respect" seem fairly neutral to me).

But I'm a flaming leftie, so what do I know? I'm curious to hear what others with actual knowledge of the place might say.

In terms of the priority application, my son got one from a Catholic school in Massachusetts. I know a member of the faculty there, and based on his input, I would guess that these tactics are used as a marketing ploy, perhaps by schools that are not as financially stable as others, and are not necessarily an idicator of liberal or conservative bias.

(ETA: I'm not on my own computer, so I'm guessing there are several spellilng errors. Please forgive me. :) )

Karen,

If you haven't done so already, check the guidebook called "Choosing the Right College" from the Intercollegiate Studies Institute. This book reviews the core curriculum and political climate on over 100 campuses. We found it very informative, and I was able to borrow a copy at my local library. I'm not sure if St. John's is one they review, but it's worth a look.

Brenda

St. John's in NY is Catholic, isn't it? I would expect it to be fairly conservative unless it has completely diverged from its origins.... At first I thought you meant the great books college St. Johns and I was going to say 25, LOL!

Those Jesuits, though, can be way out there. ;)

LOL, those intellectuals are always so liberal, aren't they?

They can be, yes. ;)

This reminds me of a funny little encounter I had with a fellow from a very conservative church, who was on our campus for a conference last summer. He commented about how lovely the campus was and asked what kind of school this was. I used the term "liberal arts" and he looked quite skeptical and asked, "liberal arts?"

Karen,

If you haven't done so already, check the guidebook called "Choosing the Right College" from the Intercollegiate Studies Institute. This book reviews the core curriculum and political climate on over 100 campuses. We found it very informative, and I was able to borrow a copy at my local library. I'm not sure if St. John's is one they review, but it's worth a look.

Brenda

This was going to be my suggestion too. I've already paid for a subscription online, so I checked. St John's in NY is not one of the schools listed. St Johns in MD gets a green light politically and has a 4 page write up (that I didn't read).

Note: The green light does not necessarily mean a place is conservative, but rather that they are nicely tolerant of conservative values.

We considered St. John's for our oldest - she got the same type of application and was offered a nice partial scholarship. I didn't find it overly liberal, but I am comparing it to Hunter College and NYU so I guess that is relative!!

I will ask around a little. I know a girl who is a Freshman there now and she is blissfully happy, so much so that her parents are a little concerned that she is considering converting to Catholicism. A boy from our homeschool group did one year there and transferred out, but that was due to finances, not liberalism. Both families are Christian - one reformed, maybe Doug Wilson style, if ykwim?, the other more Brooklyn Tabernacle style, but both Bible-believing.