Menu

Does anyone know why stevia is banned

I had an anaphylactic reaction to it, my throat swelled and I had to go to ER. Everyone says you can't be allergic but I was and as I remind people it is a plant and those are more likely to cause allergies. Perhaps that might have had something to do with banning it. I just know it's banned at my house

Don't know why it's banned but an organic chemist did tell me personally to avoid it because it does not change at all when it goes through your body. When I asked how that could be bad she gave me the comparison of gold. Evidently you can ingest gold (why anyone would, I don't know), it does not convert at all in the body and yet you can get heavy metal poisoning if you ingest it. I don't know how that works but that's what she told me.

Hm. I researched stevia quite extensively before I first started using it (years before it was approved by the FDA). It's been used extensively as an alternative sweetener in Japan for I believe over 50 years (it has over half the market there), and the herb has been used by the people of Peru (where it is a native plant) all the way back to Incan times (hundreds of years). Seeing as every single cow in Japan is tested for mad cow vs. virtually none of ours, I'd think that they're fairly stringent about their food supply.

Stevia is not a metal, it is an organic compound; it cannot give you heavy metal poisoning. I can't see that it's a big deal that it doesn't break down - I'd heard that one of the big worries about it is that it can break down into something more harmful in the lab, but it was shown that it doesn't do that in the body - now that's a problem?

The splenda/nutrasweet/sweet'n'low people lobbied very heavily against the approval of stevia - what is the source of these reports and why haven't they been reported in Japan?

(and I'm not doubting the person who had an anaphylactic reaction. People have those to all kinds of things that are completely safe to eat for the general population - if we were going to ban it based on that, we'd have to ban peanuts, shellfish, strawberries and a whole host of other staple foods as well.)

Health safety! (Not)

It's safe. It's not safe!

It's safe if a major corporation says it's safe and strong-arms the FDA into agreement.

It's safe if the bad, bungled science says it's safe....

With the corruption that's been rampant in the FDA (and in most world governments) for the past few decades (or forever, take your pick), how would we ever truly know whether or not any form of any product is safe unless we can test it, ourself????

http://nutritionwonderland.com/2009/02/stevia-controversy/

http://www.margonaut.com/stevia.htm

http://www.apfn.org/thewinds/1998/07/stevia.html

McConnell Boys,

Amen! I can't think of the last time I took seriously anything the FDA says, or the department of AG, or the CDC, or any Pharmaceutical company, or any large agri-business, or........

I've arguments for and against stevia and from independent sources which probably means the jury is still out.

Faith

No I don't. I have strong doubts that there are good reasons for this banning when competing chem compounds are not banned.

You can grow stevia, pluck the leaves and put them in your tea and your tea will be sweet. You can't do that with an aspartame plant.

Yep - and I was just reading those links someone posted - about how the original ban and witch hunt (burning books?) against Stevia seems like it originated with a report of nebulous origin that seems to have come from the Aspartame industry - and then it was finally approved as a sweetener after another big business wanted to market it.

But I wouldn't buy the new stuff (Truvia et al) - as one of the reports point out, it's formulation is questionable, with all erythriol being the main ingredient, and it says there aren't even any steviosides in it??? :confused:

I'm sticking with the stuff that was sold for years as an "herbal supplement", which is cut with inositol (a healthy fiber), or as a tincture - as one of the reports said, the more you process something, the worse it is for you, even if the original source is good.

The stuff has been tested in a huge market on a huge amount of people in real life eating situations in Japan for decades (which holds more weight with me than rat studies done by people with questionable agendas and questionable science). If it were that bad, wouldn't there be some outcry? I would've think they'd noticed if it was causing infertility and miscarriages...

Edited by matroyshka

The stuff has been tested in a huge market on a huge amount of people in real life eating situations in Japan for decades (which holds more weight with me than rat studies done by people with questionable agendas and questionable science). If it were that bad, wouldn't there be some outcry? I would've think they'd noticed if it was causing infertility and miscarriages...

I haven't tried to find out what form of Stevia is being used in Japan (and has been for more than 30 years). Is it the natural leaf or herbal supplement form? Or is it the newer form that may have problems?

As for the rest of what you said: Amen....

I haven't tried to find out what form of Stevia is being used in Japan (and has been for more than 30 years). Is it the natural leaf or herbal supplement form? Or is it the newer form that may have problems?

As for the rest of what you said: Amen....

That would be interesting to know.

I guess I'm sticking with white sugar. Or turbinado sugar when I can find it