Menu

1 more reason to make your own laundry soap?

Flux

We bought our daughter a new pair of footie pjs last night. I was taking off the tags to wash them this morning and read on the neck tag: "FLAME RESISTANT" Ugh, I would buy all organic if I could.

This was, of course, not surprising in the least, but this next part was:

"To retain flame resistance use detergent do not use soap"

Should I take this to mean that regular soap helps to wash away the chemicals?

I think the law for kids jammies is that they can be all cotton but must be "tight fitting" or if they aren't tight fitting they must be flame retardant. Yes, washing them-even in regular laundry detergent will reduce the chemical in them. There is also something about dryers also helping to reduce this substance.

I don't know your budget, but we've been buying the organic cotton sleep sets at Costco. They're around $12 for a 2 piece set (top and bottom without feet - like long johns). They have some cute prints - both boyish and girlie and go up to size 10.

That's great! We don't have a Costco near us, but I guess I just need to do some more shopping around! I usually go drool over Hanna Andersson...

I used to buy my kids Saras Prints pajamas.

They are more expensive but they are 100% cotton and they meet all the safety standards. The tight fitting stuff did not work with my son. These are worn like normal pajamas.

Thanks! These are nice. I am going to try and do better shopping sales because I am tired of buying this stuff at Target and the like. Tight fitting doesn't work for my son, either.

Target used to sell "long underwear" sets, 100% cotton, that were similar to Sara's Prints but not as expensive. They were in the undies section. Not sure if they still carry them. They worked very well for us, and have just been sent off to the next kid in the hand-me-down chain after several years of use by us.

Also, Campmor often has last year's designs in the Sara's Prints line at a discount. http://www.campmor.com - we've ordered other things in the past and always been pleased with them.

Thanks! These are nice. I am going to try and do better shopping sales because I am tired of buying this stuff at Target and the like. Tight fitting doesn't work for my son, either.

Don't discount Target quite yet...we used to get the sets they call long underwear, but look like jammie prints, in 2 sizes too big so they weren't too tight. Because they are considered long underwear instead of actual jammies, I don't think they have any of the chemicals involved in fire resistance, but not organic either. The clincher for me was the price. At only $7-$8 per set on sale, you can't go wrong. They usually go on sale this time of year too. They usually run a size too small, so you may even want to go 2-3 sizes bigger than usual to get the fit you want. Sadly, all our dc's just wear shorts and tshirts now, so no cute jammies anymore.