Menu

Doing phonics orally

hollyhock

I am using Adventures in Phonics B with my 6yo. The program is easy for him but he HATES all the writing. So I have started to do it all orally, having him spell words for me, etc.

Is it bad that he isn't actually physically writing during his phonics lessons? He is almost finished WWE 1 so he does write at other times. AIP is just going so much better now that the pressure to write is gone.

:bigear:

I do all the phonics & spelling work with my twins(8) orally. We are able to get thro' the lessons without the power struggle.

I do keep a white board next to each in case they choose to write a word down (but no doddling!).

Sometimes we do the spelling words or difficult phonograms when we go walking.

Other options include letter tiles and tactile methods, if you want to mix it up. Tactile methods are good because they give the child a chance to practice the movements of writing but they use more of the gross motor muscles which is a bit easier, plus they are adding the sense of touch to what they learn. Here's a link with ideas.

Other writing ideas that can make it fun--sidewalk chalk, or a white board. My dd likes a hand held white board. Just some ideas when you do come back to writing spelling.

Merry :-)

Is it bad that he isn't actually physically writing during his phonics lessons?

As long as he is progressing, why not. My son was better at spelling and writing the word than reading it, so we focused on that, but at six, as long as he is progressing, I would avoid making him loathe school. You can always mix it back in when his hand is stronger and he is has more fine motor coordination and it isn't so hard for him.