Menu

POP BCP & Breastfeeding...Women only please.

What has been your experience on Progesterone Only (POP) Birth Control Pills while nursing? I have an 18mo that is still nursing. It's been crazy. Cycles started up around 6mos, but nothing regular. Over the summer, became exactly every 4 weeks to a T. Then, one after 2 weeks, another one after 2 weeks, then a 3 week cycle...Now it's been 4 weeks and no sign (other than very tender to nurse right now). Could the more frequent nursing (18mo just discovered she could ask to nurse & has been sick, so lots of nursing!) cause more time between cycles? My cycles were really quirky with the last child, too, but in a different way. Boy was I glad to get off of these things last time. It seems too early for a pregnancy test. Pregnancy would be a really bad thing (I'd welcome another, but my last 2 pregs were scary and life threatening).

I don't have any experience with BC while nursing, but if your dd has been nursing more frequently that could certainly cause you to have a longer cycle. It was painful to nurse all of the times that I've ovulated while nursing, so that could be what's going on right now. What kind of pain is it? The pain that I get is very sharp and sort of like pins and needles.

I took the POP after my first three pgs while nursing. My cycles were very irregular on the POP, with a lot of breakthrough bleeding. It was a bit anxiety-provoking because I was always wondering if I was pg.:tongue_smilie: I also didn't like the surprise bleeding I experienced every few weeks. Other than that, I had no side effects and had plenty of milk for my babies (and didn't get pg while on the POP). As I recall, one must take it at exactly the same time each day to get maximim effectiveness.