Menu

Bio text like Conceptual Physics/Chemistry?

Amy in TX

I'm really just giving you a bump. You may have better luck posting this on the high school board.

Conceptual physical science is middle school. Hewitt also wrote a conceptual physics texts at both the high school and college level.

Conceptual Chemistry is a college text for non-science major.

If this is what you are looking for, then you may want to look at high school and college biology texts that are for non-science types.

You may want to look at The Way Life Works by Mahlon Hoagland and Bert Dodson and The Way We Work by David MacAulay.

HTH-

Mandy

Conceptual physical science is middle school.

There are two versions of Conceptual Physical Science. There's Conceptual Physical Science Explorations, which is written at a 9th grade level. It is quite suitable for middle school. There is also Conceptual Physical Science, which is intended for the same audience as Conceptual Chemistry and Conceptual Physics (not the high school version), that is as an introductory college course for non-majors.

I have cross posted this on the high school board, but not received any replies.

I've seen Conceptual Physical Science-Explorations discussed here, and it seems like what I want, except that it doesn't include biology. If you used this for middle school, what did you use for biology? (Light bulb moment--maybe that's the question I need to put on the high school board!)

Any thoughts?

Thanks so much!

I have cross posted this on the high school board, but not received any replies.

I've seen Conceptual Physical Science-Explorations discussed here, and it seems like what I want, except that it doesn't include biology. If you used this for middle school, what did you use for biology? (Light bulb moment--maybe that's the question I need to put on the high school board!)

Any thoughts?

Thanks so much!

There is something called Conceptual Integrated Science, which has physics, chemistry, biology, and earth science and is by Hewitt, Suchocki, and others. And now there is Conceptual Integrated Science Explorations (grade 9/10 level). Here's the link: http://www.pearsonschool.com/index.cfm?locator=PSZu6t&PMDbSiteId=2781&PMDbSolutionId=6724&PMDbSubSolutionId=&PMDbCategoryId=811&PMDbSubCategoryId=&PMDbSubjectAreaId=&PMDbProgramId=62622. You could use the biology part.

There is also a high school biology book called Visualizing Life that is supposed to be more conceptual than typical high school texts. I think this text has morphed into Holt Biology, because it has the same main author, but I could be wrong.

There are two versions of Conceptual Physical Science. There's Conceptual Physical Science Explorations, which is written at a 9th grade level. It is quite suitable for middle school. There is also Conceptual Physical Science, which is intended for the same audience as Conceptual Chemistry and Conceptual Physics (not the high school version), that is as an introductory college course for non-majors.

Yep, he has a number of them doesn't he! I didn't realize that there were two Physical Science texts in addition to the two Conceptual Physical texts. Thanks for the clarification.

His website doesn't list Conceptual Physical Science Explorations although it is on amazon. It does list a book for children called Touch This! Conceptual Physics for Everyone.

Mandy

There is also a high school biology book called Visualizing Life that is supposed to be more conceptual than typical high school texts. I think this text has morphed into Holt Biology, because it has the same main author, but I could be wrong.

Both my boys used Holt Visualizing Life for freshman high school biology along with TC Biology: Science of Life. We enjoyed the text.

HTH-

Mandy