Menu

Great Family Devotional Reformed Theology

Patches

Long Story Short by Marty Machowski has just been published.

It is written to be a family devotional. It would also work well as a Bible Curriculum.

Sample: http://www.wtsbooks.com/pdf_files/9781935273813.pdf

20% off: http://www.wtsbooks.com/product-exec/product_id/7277/?utm_source=jtaylor&utm_medium=jtaylor

Here is a review of the book that I wrote on Amazon

If you are looking for a book to help you teach the Old Testament in a Gospel Saturated, God -Centered way you have found it! Each story points to Jesus!

The book is chronological, teaching 78 of the main stories and characters of the Old Testament. Each week one story / character is taught. 3 days are spent on the actual story, one day is spent seeing how this story points to Jesus, and the 5th day a different Bible passage is read with the purpose of seeing what it teaches about Jesus.

This book is appropriate for preschool - elementary children as written. It could be modified fairly easily for younger and older children so the whole family can learn together.

Each week starts with an object lesson of some type. This relates to the story for the week. There are (usually) short passages from the Bible to read each day. (This is important, we want children to hear God's Word.) Then, the author does a brief recap of what the Scripture says. I have found these recaps to be very accurate and worded in ways that will help children understand. Next there are a few focus questions to discuss the story. Finally there is a prayer suggestion. The book claims to be "Ten-Minute Devotions" and it is possible that it could be finished in 10 minutes. I believe that many parents and children will stretch the 10 minutes!

I love the way the author teaches great truths about God drawn from the story or character being studied.

The one weakness I see is that there are no pictures! The book is intended for adults to read to children, but many children will benefit from pictures to help them understand the story. A Bible story book is due out in about a year from the same author that will have pictures. This will greatly help families with younger children to teach this material. Until then, families could use other picture story Bibles for the illustrations, and use the content of this book.

Any Sunday School teacher, parent, or other adult working with children can greatly benefit from using this book. This book will be a great blessing to the body of Christ.