Menu

To those out there who recommended binoculars instead of a telescope

Aludlam

To the ones who recommend getting binoculars instead of a telescope for sky watching .... would you please check out this pair of binoculars. I'm trying to find a pair on Amazon b/c I have gift cards.

thanks so much

http://www.amazon.com/Celestron-SkyMaster-Binoculars-Tripod-Adapter/dp/B00008Y0VN/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1288732054&sr=8-6

It depends...

I usually suggest people learn the constellations, then start finding the larger deep sky objects with binocs before they consider a telescope. Many people already own a pair of binoculars and so they can begin to find a few things without spending money--or very little money--and then if they still are interested in it, they are probably going to enjoy the telescope when they buy that later on.

When I suggest you use binocs 1st, I recommend you get something that can be put on a tripod, but also can be used with your hands while resting on the back of a chair or a railing to keep them steady. These can be used for birdwatching or taken with you on vacation and won't go unused if the astronomy hobby loses its charm.

Most people say the biggest binocs you want for hand-held viewing would be a 10X50--which is the size many consider "ideal" for astronomy. That said, I think that the smaller ones are nice for kids--and I have a friend who has done binoc astronomy with school kids for years using a small hand-sized binoc (you know, those smaller birding binocs)--so the small ones are not just for kids. The heavier the binocs, the more shake you have and the less you see...unless you always use a tripod. I have a 10X42--a little lighter weight than the 10X50, but doesn't see quite as large a portion of the sky. I'm glad I did not go with a bigger one because mine is compact and easy to carry with me (always travels in the camera bag). Mine is something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-DCF-10x42-Fullsize-Binocular/dp/B000093TVV .

In my astronomy clubs, there are 3 different kinds of members

--those who look through everyone else's equipment and either do not plan to buy anything or are waiting to buy something when they've figured out what it is they want (the most they have is a laser pointer and a hand-held binoculars).

--those who do not want to get into all the telescope gear but want to see more so they buy the big binoculars--like the one you linked to or larger.

--those who can't help themselves and begin to buy telescopes, eyepieces...you know...people like me. :D

So, in my opinion, this type of binocs is that step into equipment that is not going to be very useful for anything but astronomy or setting up in your window on the tripod to see the view--it is not likely to go in the car or tossed into a purse to "have it in case we need it". IF you think you'd enjoy it, go for it. The quality, from the reviews, is decent but not excellent--it is one of the smaller "big" binocs, but will let you find a few more deep sky objects than my 10X42.

Have you looked at info like this?

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/howto/howtoequipment/3389576.html

If you have, and this binocs is still your 1st choice, go for it and enjoy!!!

Jean

Edited by Jean in Wisc

You are so great for taking the time to answer me! That website you pointed me to was great! Do you know that my husband is the big outdoorsy (is that a word?) kind of guy and that when we got through looking into all of his stuff --- we found 4 pairs of binoculars! 2 of them are super nice. We are going to be using those to start with. Isn't it funny how things work out? But, I didn't know you could use a lasar pointer. Would any sort work, or is it something special? Also, while I have you, is there a super easy, no fuss guide book that is great for beginners that you recommend?

once again, thank you!

You are so great for taking the time to answer me! That website you pointed me to was great! Do you know that my husband is the big outdoorsy (is that a word?) kind of guy and that when we got through looking into all of his stuff --- we found 4 pairs of binoculars! 2 of them are super nice. We are going to be using those to start with. Isn't it funny how things work out? But, I didn't know you could use a lasar pointer. Would any sort work, or is it something special? Also, while I have you, is there a super easy, no fuss guide book that is great for beginners that you recommend?

once again, thank you!

It is great that you have binocs already! :001_smile:

I just wrote an email to a friend about laser pointers this morning. I wrote:

Lasers are not created equal. You do want to get the 5mW green laser (green bounces off the particles in the air back to the eye--red does not; 5mW is the largest you can legally buy). The cheap lasers (eBay's $20 wonders) do not have their diodes tested and adjusted, and they can be very poor or very good by the toss of the die(at least that is what folks tell me--I'm not an expert). I was considering the OPT or the Meade laser from OPTCorp the last time I bought one, but when I asked about them at the astronomy club, everyone told me to buy from Meridian Telescopes. The people in our club who own them always have the brightest pointers--so I purchased mine there last time for $79. VERY NICE.

http://www.meridiantelescopes.com/greenlaser.htm

You'll want the GPA5. Laser pointers do not do well at dusk or when there is a full moon or in bright city lights--they just are not bright enough. Also, the brighter the pointer, the further someone can be standing from you and still see it. So if the skies are not dark, huddle closer together and get right beneath or behind the beam.

I always--even in summer-- keep my pointer next to my skin. I usually tuck it into my neckline if I am not using it. Lasers are brighter when they are warm.

Never point the laser at someone--they can be very dangerous to the eye. And it is probable that someday lasers are going to require a license to buy one--airplane pilots freak out over them so ALWAYS check the sky before turning the laser on to avoid pointing at the moving, blinking airplanes.

I recommend you keep your pointer on a string and put it around your neck. Make it long enough so that your children can use it while still around your neck. A dropped laser can be a dead laser--especially if dropped on cement (or a parking lot...you don't have to ask me how I know). If the diodes get jarred, your laser will be fainter or, like mine, not worth keeping. :(

Always remove the batteries when not using them--the springs inside them can weaken and then they don't work well--I learned this the hard way, too... You also would not want the batteries to leak...

P.S. I purchased a small LED flashlight and a bottle of dark red fingernail polish. I covered the lens of the flashlight in red to turn it into a red flashlight. I used polish remover to adjust how light and dark it was until I finally had enough light but not too much. It was a cheap way to get a red flashlight! Red light does not cause us to loose our night vision as does white light, so if you plan to use a flashlight outside at night, you want red light.

P.P.S. Just thinking...

If you don't want to spend that kind of money on a laser pointer, we use to use a large maglight flashlight -- it could be made to have a narrow beam that was not as nice as a laser pointer, but allowed us to figure out what the person was pointing to. I would guess, in this era of LEDs and other fancy flashlights, other brands would allow you to narrow the beam down the same way, and it might be a lot cheaper.

Just another idea...

If you want to buy a laser pointer from Amazon, this is the one I'd buy:

http://www.amazon.com/Meade-Green-Laser-Pointer-Telescope/dp/B003IT5LEK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1289777418&sr=8-1-catcorr

It is the only one with a name brand I recognize--Meade makes telescopes and accessories and I'd trust them to have made a decent laser pointer. Amazon sells cheaper ones...but you usually get what you pay for.

My all-time favorite book for beginners is written by the author of Curious George: Find the Constellations.

http://www.amazon.com/Find-Constellations-H-Rey/dp/054713178X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1289770009&sr=8-1

It has star maps and stories. It's a kids book, but it is a great beginner book. The BEST BEST BEST part of this book is a page in the back of the book. It tells you which of the largest stars can be seen in they sky at dusk. For example, if you can find the largest star in the constellation Bootes setting in the west, you then can find that constellation more easily. Most libraries have this book.

I never go a year without a copy of Skywatch from Sky and Telescope:

http://www.shopatsky.com/category/s?keyword=skywatch

It gives you monthly star maps, a list of what planets are up each month, objects to look for with your eyes, binocs, or small scope, and if there is a comet or a meteor shower...all the items you need to be prepared for you night outside. It is in Borders on the magazine rack right now, but, at least in the past, S&T did not charge shipping if you order it through the mail. It is sold in a version for use in Canada, the U.S., Internationally.

My homepage is this:

http://earthsky.org/tonight

It always helps me remember to go outside and see what is up.

A planisphere is nice. You can buy them to match your latitude.

http://www.optcorp.com/product.aspx?pid=123&kw=planisphere&st=2

http://www.optcorp.com/product.aspx?pid=1221&kw=planisphere&st=2

http://www.optcorp.com/product.aspx?pid=124&kw=planisphere&st=2

http://www.optcorp.com/product.aspx?pid=12721&kw=planisphere%20&st=2

These are nice because they are covered in a plastic that keeps the dew off of them, but you can pick up these star charts in the bigger books stores, too. They allow you to find where every thing is no matter what date or time of night it is. I don't go out without mine.

If you want a list of books that will take you deeper or are geared for adults, let me know. :D

P.S....one of the great things about the laser pointer is that you can be pointing at an object in the sky, and the person with the binoculars can follow the laser pointer beam up to where you are pointing, allowing them to locate what it is they are suppose to be looking at. I did this with my sisters last month, and they were able to find the Andromeda Galaxy and the Double Cluster, even though they had never looked at them before and did not know where they were looking. Fun :)

Edited by Jean in Wisc

If you happen to have an iPhone or an iPod Touch, consider the Star Walk application. It's very helpful when you want to know which planet you're seeing in the sky right now.

Oh, and to give you some inspiration- the other day I saw three of the moons of Jupiter with a very ordinary pair of binoculars.

Another something to add--

Stellarium is a great computer program that is free. This is what they say about it:

Stellarium is a free open source planetarium for your computer. It shows a realistic sky in 3D, just like what you see with the naked eye, binoculars or a telescope.

It is being used in planetarium projectors. Just set your coordinates and go.

http://stellarium.org/

P.S. Sometimes Stellarium gets caught as a virus when you scan. You might have to put it into your anti-virus software as something to ignore.

Edited by Jean in Wisc

The best class I ever had was called Observational Astronomy. We didn't use anything but our eyes. We learned the constellations, prominent stars, myths, and years later I still remember it.

If you absolutely must buy something, get a binocular. You can see birds, leaves, deer, much more with these. I don't think it needs to be anything special.

You can probably find a decent/great binocular at a pawn shop.

Telescopes are really over-rated for DC, and most of us. My older brother bought a telescope with all kinds of special gadgets for his DC, thinking they would study planets, etc.

His DC mainly check out what's happening at the neighbors and the cattle in the field. The extra cost of the telescope was completely lost on how they really use the instrument.

Eyes are really great tools, very accessible and easy to use.:001_smile: