Menu

Can I enclose a card in a media mail box?

trisharog

I once tried to mail a year book to a classmate from Australia-she left just before they came out and we all signed hers and wanted to send it. We needed to send it the international equivalent of media mail and the postal attendant said we would have to also pay the equivalent of 1st class letter per signature to send the book.

I thought this was crazy.

I once tried to mail a year book to a classmate from Australia-she left just before they came out and we all signed hers and wanted to send it. We needed to send it the international equivalent of media mail and the postal attendant said we would have to also pay the equivalent of 1st class letter per signature to send the book.

I thought this was crazy.

Now, that's just ridiculous. :mad:

I am pretty sure invoices with notes on them (i.e. Thanks for your purchase!) are allowed since most major curriculum providers ship media mail and include invoices. Considering their shipping volume I am sure they are pretty familiar with the rules.

A card however would fall under different rules, technically I don't think you are supposed to put cards (or letters) into even normal packages. When I shipped care packages to my husband when he was in Egypt, I was instructed to not put personal correspondence of any kind (cards or letters) into the boxes. I was told that it was against postal regulations, and since all boxes being shipped to Egypt were inspected, anything including correspondence would be either kicked back to me or disposed of. So I had to mail correspondence separately.

You can always call your local Post Office and ask though.

Wow! I had no idea. I don't think I've ever put personal correspondence in a MM package, but when I saw this thread my first thought was, "Of course you can, why not?"

Live and learn.

I guess, put your message on piece of paper that has *Invoice* printed across the top. :)

Wow! I had no idea. I don't think I've ever put personal correspondence in a MM package, but when I saw this thread my first thought was, "Of course you can, why not?"

Live and learn.

I guess, put your message on piece of paper that has *Invoice* printed across the top. :)

:iagree: who knew?

Live and learn.

:iagree: I've put in brief notes. It never occurred to me it might not be allowed.:001_huh:

You can include a card as long as it falls within these guidelines

Enclosures in Books

Enclosures in books mailed at Media Mail prices are subject to these additional standards:

a. Either one envelope or one addressed postcard may be bound into the pages of a book. If also serving as an order form, the envelope or card may be in addition to the order form permitted by 4.2b..

b. One order form may be bound into the pages of a book. If also serving as an envelope or postcard, the order form may be in addition to the envelope or card permitted by 4.2a..

c. Announcements of books may appear as book pages. These announcements must be incidental and exclusively devoted to books, without extraneous advertising of book-related or other materials or services.

Announcements may fully describe the conditions and methods of ordering books and may contain ordering instructions for use with a separate order form. Up to three of these announcements may contain as part of their format a single order form, which may also serve as a postcard. The order forms permitted with these announcements are in addition to, and not in place of, order forms that may be enclosed under 4.2a. or 4.2b..

Written Additions

Markings that have the character of personal correspondence require, with certain exceptions, additional postage at the First-Class Mail prices. The following written additions and enclosures do not require additional First-Class Mail postage:

a. The sender's and the addressee's names, occupations, and addresses, preceded by "From" or "To," and directions for handling.

b. Marks, numbers, names, or letters describing the contents.

c. Words or phrases such as "Do Not Open Until Christmas" and "Happy Birthday, Mother."

d. Instructions and directions for the use of the item mailed.

e. A manuscript dedication or inscription not having the nature of personal correspondence.

f. Marks to call attention to words or passages in the text.

g. Corrections of typographical errors in printed matter.

h. Manuscripts accompanying related proof sheets and corrections of proof sheets including corrections of typographical and other errors, changes in the text, insertions of new text, marginal instructions to the printer, and corrective rewrites of parts.

i. Handstamped imprints, unless the added material is in itself personal or converts the original matter to a personal communication.

j. Matter mailable separately as Standard Mail printed on the wrapper, envelope, tag, or label.

Yes I remember I was told I could include a list of items (in my case I had no need to do that). Or I could include a card or letter but it had to be in an addressed envelope with the proper postage affixed (I always chose to just send them separately since packages got lost more often then letters). So if you want to add a card to a package, you can just add a the proper first class postage to it. It seems like that is also allowed for media mail packages. Good to know.

That reads like a military manual. :chillpill:

You can include a card as long as it falls within these guidelines

Enclosures in Books

Enclosures in books mailed at Media Mail prices are subject to these additional standards:

a. Either one envelope or one addressed postcard may be bound into the pages of a book. If also serving as an order form, the envelope or card may be in addition to the order form permitted by 4.2b..

b. One order form may be bound into the pages of a book. If also serving as an envelope or postcard, the order form may be in addition to the envelope or card permitted by 4.2a..

c. Announcements of books may appear as book pages. These announcements must be incidental and exclusively devoted to books, without extraneous advertising of book-related or other materials or services.

Announcements may fully describe the conditions and methods of ordering books and may contain ordering instructions for use with a separate order form. Up to three of these announcements may contain as part of their format a single order form, which may also serve as a postcard. The order forms permitted with these announcements are in addition to, and not in place of, order forms that may be enclosed under 4.2a. or 4.2b..

Written Additions

Markings that have the character of personal correspondence require, with certain exceptions, additional postage at the First-Class Mail prices. The following written additions and enclosures do not require additional First-Class Mail postage:

a. The sender's and the addressee's names, occupations, and addresses, preceded by "From" or "To," and directions for handling.

b. Marks, numbers, names, or letters describing the contents.

c. Words or phrases such as "Do Not Open Until Christmas" and "Happy Birthday, Mother."

d. Instructions and directions for the use of the item mailed.

e. A manuscript dedication or inscription not having the nature of personal correspondence.

f. Marks to call attention to words or passages in the text.

g. Corrections of typographical errors in printed matter.

h. Manuscripts accompanying related proof sheets and corrections of proof sheets including corrections of typographical and other errors, changes in the text, insertions of new text, marginal instructions to the printer, and corrective rewrites of parts.

i. Handstamped imprints, unless the added material is in itself personal or converts the original matter to a personal communication.

j. Matter mailable separately as Standard Mail printed on the wrapper, envelope, tag, or label.