Menu

Cloth Diapers for a 13 month old

I second BumGenius for toddlers!

If you're more interested in separate covers, I'm a very big fan of Thirsties for toddlers, due to their big weight range. Ds spent nearly a year in mediums, which was great! I do prefer fitteds to prefolds under covers for toddlers, mostly because it buys a few extra seconds if you have a stripper on your hands. ;)

Congrats and good luck!!!

I personally wouldn't get a birth to potty/one size type nappy if she is already 13 months. Loads of kids grow out of them by the time they are 18months/2 yrs so you've already missed a big chunk of their use. I think the only plus point would be if you were going to use them on a subsequent child but I think there are better fitting options in sized diapers if you are starting from 13months.

Pocket diapers are great for toddlers. You could maybe try Fuzzi bunz and get a Medium or a Large depending on how big she is or I really like Green Acre designs pockets.

I'm not a fan of All In Ones so I don't use diapers like BumGenius.

I'm a die hard Mother-Ease fan. Either the Sandies or the One Size. I haven't found anything better.

Though BumGenius now carries AIOs, they are most known for their Pocket Diapers ;) They are adjustable in size.

BTW, I've used a variety of CDs. BumGenius and FuzziBunz were the two that lasted the longest and did not "wear out" like others.

BG also has organic material now, not just synthetic.

Edited by mommaduck

BumGenius again. My first wore the one-size dipe from 9 wks to 2.5 yrs. They are a very long lasting diaper.

I would also recommend going to one of the CD boards (like diaperswappers, diaperpin, etc...) poke around current threads and ask questions. There is an OVERWHELMING amount of choices out there.

Are you sure she isn't going to be potty-learned? It seems like a lot of the babies from Asian countries are expected to use the potty at a ridiculously early age.

For my 2yo, I use WAHM fitted diapers with wool covers -shorties/longies/skirties. We prefer the natural fibers rather than than the synthetic that most AIOs and pockets are made from.

what is your water like? If you have very hard water you will be VERY frustrated by synthetic pocket diapers. They get mineral buildup if you are not super careful, which makes them repel and leak. Ask me how I (and everyone who lives near me) know :)

But cotton works anywhere, so I'd say cotton diapers with Thirsties duo covers, in the snap type so they are harder to rip off. Or, Flip covers and inserts, you can get cotton inserts and they are easy to put on quickly.

Are you sure she isn't going to be potty-learned? It seems like a lot of the babies from Asian countries are expected to use the potty at a ridiculously early age.

For my 2yo, I use WAHM fitted diapers with wool covers -shorties/longies/skirties. We prefer the natural fibers rather than than the synthetic that most AIOs and pockets are made from.

No, I am not sure. Maybe, I should wait until we get home with her.

Suzanne

No, I am not sure. Maybe, I should wait until we get home with her.

Suzanne

You could always get a dozen or so inexpensive prefolds and a couple cheap covers for now. Prefolds make great around-the-house tools for spills and cleaning, so it's not like the money would be wasted. We use prefolds for everything from going under the bottom when sitting in the car w/ wet clothes to dusting.

Actually, at 13 months, I would have to ask you where she's been. If she's been at a foster home... especially in certain parts... she may have possibly been EC'd, right? I know that some... whistle for their children in the Chinese culture... at least they use to whistle... in certain families... ok... at least in my friend's family...

If so...there are actually "EC" "Diapers"..... the other part... is.... how is the baby built? Skinny?? Chubs?? I think that easiest diaper is a really good quality Chinese or Indian Diaper Service Quality Prefold... with a Bummis Super Whisp Wrap!! And... BTW>>> Congrats!!! I'm happy for you....

Have you also thought of what kind of baby carrier you'll have with your baby? I loved my Ergo.... and ... I loved the Ultimate Baby wrap which is like a Moby wrap, only slightly different... Mai Tais are great too!!

The wrap should help with all that bonding that you'll be doing.... And, of course, co-sleeping :) (I don't know if it still holds true... but the studies I read were proving that children bond during their sleep...) It's easiest to sleep with the child to one side of the parents.... We stuck our bed up against the wall to give a supportive edge.

:) Sorry... I know the question was only about diapers... :)

Edited by NayfiesMama
(Cheap place to get the Diaper Service Quality ones... at a Diaper Service... way better than the icky ones at...other stores

You could always get a dozen or so inexpensive prefolds and a couple cheap covers for now. Prefolds make great around-the-house tools for spills and cleaning, so it's not like the money would be wasted. We use prefolds for everything from going under the bottom when sitting in the car w/ wet clothes to dusting.

Exactly! Cottonbabies.com sells Chinese and Indian prefolds for $1.50 and $1.00 a piece. Not only is this comparable to Gerbers, but the quality is better as well as the use (Gerbers are filled with poly fluff and don't truly absorb or hold up well). Don't forget to order Snappies, they are easier to use than diaper pins. My husband would not use diaper pins after our first child (yes, he had one bad pinning experience and it scared him to pieces).

Edited by mommaduck

what is your water like? If you have very hard water you will be VERY frustrated by synthetic pocket diapers. They get mineral buildup if you are not super careful, which makes them repel and leak. Ask me how I (and everyone who lives near me) know :)

But cotton works anywhere, so I'd say cotton diapers with Thirsties duo covers, in the snap type so they are harder to rip off. Or, Flip covers and inserts, you can get cotton inserts and they are easy to put on quickly.

I am CDing my newborn and my new house has hard well water. Synthetics won't work here. I'm using flats and prefolds. I recommend Green Mountain Diapers for all cotton. They also sell Workhorse diapers --- fitted diapers with snaps made from prefolds.

I also love my Flip and Thirsties Duo covers. Wool is great too.

Congrats on your new daughter!

For the hard water ladies...are you using white vinegar at all? We dealt w/hard water in the past by using vinegar in the rinse cycle, and regularly using blue dawn dish soap to strip dow the dipes (you can run the dipes through the dish washer if you clothes washer doesn't get hot enough).

Sorry for the OT, OP!

Honestly, I would wait until you get her home to determine size. This is a definite generalization on my part, but it seems like my Asian friend's babies are genetically much smaller than my children at the same age (like 2-3 sizes smaller). My kids are usually off the growth charts on the big side, so I may have image distortion of what is typical at a certain age due to that. Adding to that, another generalization here....it seems like the kids I have seen who have spent time in orphanages are often smaller that their peers too (malnourishment maybe?). I guess it is hard to know what someones genes are and how 'baby fat' distribution is on a particular child until you see them up close.

Do you have anyone that you can borrow some from for a few days after she gets here until you place an order?

I also think thirsties covers are great. My favorite, though, are wool wrap covers. I make my own fitteds, but have liked kissaluvs that I bought once. Super soft. Side snaps seem to be a bit more toddler proof on any type of diaper or cover.

For the hard water ladies...are you using white vinegar at all? We dealt w/hard water in the past by using vinegar in the rinse cycle, and regularly using blue dawn dish soap to strip dow the dipes (you can run the dipes through the dish washer if you clothes washer doesn't get hot enough).

Sorry for the OT, OP!

One company - I can't recall which at the moment - suggests avoiding vinegar as it can actually set in stinkies in synthetics eventually. The site recommends fresh lime juice instead. I've done the lime juce with pretty good results, as well as Dawn stripping, but eventually the stinkies got the better of us anyway. No more microfiber for me.

I use/like:

Mother-Ease all in one's. Might be a little bulky depending on how small baby is.

Pricy, but cute G-diapers. I use these with the flushable liners when we go out, and often around the house with just a cloth liner too. I like these because they aren't bulky at all. I use the mother-ease as a nighttime diaper now.

And of course good old fashioned chinese prefolds.

We use and love Bottombumpers diapers. They are covers with inserts that snap in. So technically they are AIOs, which make them super easy to use, but since the inserts snap in, they dry (on the line or in the dryer) much quicker than AIOs with sewn in inserts.

They also have two rows of snaps so they can be customized around the leg and waist, which is nice for a growing baby or one who starts losing the baby fat thighs like my toddler is currently. Bottombumpers also come in one-sized diapers which can be customized even more, but I am not a big one-size fan myself. For a toddler, especially one that will likely be a bit small, I think the medium Bottombumpers would work well. My chunky 15 month old wears larges, but now that he's thinning out a bit, he can still fit into his mediums as well.

The reason I recommend Bottombumpers is because they are practically bullet proof. They are definitely our go-to diapers for car trips and over nights, but over time I've gotten enough for all day long too because they are just wonderful.

I used to be a diehard fuzzibunz fan until they changed the diaper. I can NOT get them to work for us now. :( We've cd'd both babies since Caleb was born & have never used sposies on them--even on roadtrips & such, we always use cloth. :) When I realized I was going to have 2 in dupes for a while I bought some. Coolababy diapers off of eBay. I seriously can not recommend these highly enough!! I do NOT recommend the "bamboo fleece" version of the diaper as we've had issues with those wicking--but the regular voolababies work better than any other diaper we've ever tried. I use a coolababy microfiber insert plus a GMD fleece topped hemp doubler for stuffing--and add a loopydoo at night, top with wool longies or shorties for jammie bottoms and we don't have leaks, ever. :)

the coolababy diapers are VERY inexpensive as well, compared to other pocket diaper options.

Edited by rootsnwings

I use tide & white vinegar in every load of diaper laundry (& towels too, for that matter! ;)) The only stinkies I've ever experienced were diapers I bought used and I had to boil them to get the raunchiness out!!!! *gag* My dipes have NEVER smelled stinky though! I would not be able to cd if I felt like they weren't completely clean!! My grandmother even asked what detergent I used on them when she saw them while we were camping together--she commented that her clotheiapers were NEVER that white & stain-free! :) Just tide & vinegar. :)

We use Ecover every once in a while when we start to get mineral buildup here. However, we also now use all plant fibers (not on purpose--I just realized when you posted that how we no longer have any pockets :tongue_smilie:) and have to use the Ecover much less than before. I use prefolds and BumGenius AIOs, and I used BumGenius pockets on my first toddler.