Menu

EPGY Questions

I am confused a bit trying to see what courses are available as an independent and how to sign up for them. I also cannot find samples for the LA portions. Are there placement tests for these courses? Where do I find them? Is the LA run the same (self paced) as the math? Do you have to prove your child is gifted? Where do I find the critieria?

How about the independant options?

Thank you.

Edited by Guest

LAW is only available as part of the group open enrollment, the individual open enrollment is only math, here are samples.

You do not have to prove your child is gifted for either of these programs, nor are their placement tests. You do need to give test results, etc. with the individual programs because they are tutored (both open enrollment programs are not tutored).

Edited by melmichigan

I'll try to answer this one for you. Even though you'd be joining late in the game, your child shouldn't feel rushed because he is working individually, not trying to "keep up" or "catch up" with anyone else (ah, and to answer another question, yes the LAW is self-paced like the math, too). And speaking to both the issue of pacing, and your question about placement level, you can always move him up or down in grade level to meet him where he is-- or move him where he needs to be if he's beyond the level of the work. In the program, once you login, the parent can adjust the child's grade placement by half levels. And in the OE group, like the one we're in organized by Melissa, she can help you with the placement.

EPGY has been really fabulous for my son. I'm so glad we joined Melissa's open enrollment group this year. I intended to only use the Math course for him (he's only PS K age this year and Math is his area of strength-- but apparently not the only one :)). But, he saw the link to the LAW course on his student page and wanted to try it, so we let him. Silly me for thinking we wouldn't want to use it. He loves it and has really amazed us with how far he's gone so far. My daughter, who doesn't work well on computer screens in general, decided she didn't want to use EPGY. Even though we paid for both kids, the OE was still less than we'd have paid for one course if we applied through Stanford. And it's been well worth it just for what my son has been getting out of it.

HTH,

TaraHen

• 2 years later...

In my area all the local public schools offer EPGY open enrollment. We used it to enroll my son into EPGY (my DS goes to PS and we afterschool). It might be a good idea to check if your local PS participates in EPGY. If not, this forum periodically forms groups to enroll in EPGY and you could wait for posts on it.

If you can put together 8 interested families with someone to volunteer as a support associate, then you can form your own group:

http://epgy.stanford...t_form_2009.pdf

Our local math tutoring centers have their own EPGY groups and enroll their students as part of their curriculum, but then we live around Stanford university and EPGY is pretty popular here because of that.

If your PS doesn't have a group you are able to join the group that I run for WTM and DYS students. Please PM the parent full name, student last name if different, and an email address where I can send the registration information. You can search my username and EPGY for more posts with additional information.

• 1 month later...

I am newbie to this forum, and during our research in internet we found out epgy last year. Since then, my son (7 years) has been using this, and he absolutely loves it. He is very passionate about the course and would like to continue this moving forward. Our PS doesn't participate in EPGY. Please let us know how we can get into this open enrollment.

I am newbie to this forum, and during our research in internet we found out epgy last year. Since then, my son (7 years) has been using this, and he absolutely loves it. He is very passionate about the course and would like to continue this moving forward. Our PS doesn't participate in EPGY. Please let us know how we can get into this open enrollment.

Contact MelMichigan to start your enrollment process.