Menu

S/O Amazon thread. Where else to buy books online?

mo2

My town does not have a bookstore, so I have always bought all my books from Amazon because it's cheap and easy. But I'm curious, with so many people boycotting Amazon. Where else do you buy books online? Is there anywhere else that has prices as good as Amazon? And selection?

ebay

alibris.com

thriftbooks.com

borders.com

barnesandnoble.com

paperbackswap.com

The library and their interlibrary loan program, yard sales, thrift stores and used book sales are always good places to find books, too.

And any local bookstore you have would probably be willing to order anything you want for you.

Amazon has cheap used books when you look at the base price but personally I always thought their shipping charges were expensive anyway.

I've been using bookdepository.com a great deal lately. Their prices are better than amazon on a lot of products and you can buy Galore Park materials as well as the Horrible History/Science/Geography series. The shipping is free but a bit slower than amazon (not enough to bother me since I'm paying less). I've ordered from them MANY times in the last few months and been very happy with the service so far.

I like that there's no minimum charge for free shipping so I can order one book at a time and it's like Christmas every day. :D

ebay

alibris.com

thriftbooks.com

borders.com

barnesandnoble.com

paperbackswap.com

The library and their interlibrary loan program, yard sales, thrift stores and used book sales are always good places to find books, too.

And any local bookstore you have would probably be willing to order anything you want for you.

Amazon has cheap used books when you look at the base price but personally I always thought their shipping charges were expensive anyway.

I never buy used books. I don't know why. I have a phobia of them. I think it's because I can't wash them. There's no logic to it, it's just one of those things I'm weird about. I will buy other used stuff (like clothes, which I can wash). ;)

I always order at least $25 worth of books, so I don't think I have EVER had to pay shipping at Amazon. No local bookstore. We have a pitiful library, and even though they say they do ILL, they make it more of a PITA than it's worth.

So it looks like borders and BN are my choices?

I've been using bookdepository.com a great deal lately. Their prices are better than amazon on a lot of products and you can buy Galore Park materials as well as the Horrible History/Science/Geography series. The shipping is free but a bit slower than amazon (not enough to bother me since I'm paying less). I've ordered from them MANY times in the last few months and been very happy with the service so far.

I like that there's no minimum charge for free shipping so I can order one book at a time and it's like Christmas every day. :D

Thanks for the suggestion! How long does the shipping usually take?

:iagree: I have found great things on Book Depository!

There are lots of sites for used books - most of them use various sellers, which means that their service can be great or not so great. However, for new books, Barnes and Noble! They have excellent customer service - it's much better than Amazon. And I have never had the experience with them that I've had now with Amazon several times where they tell me something is in stock, then, when I order it, they change it and say it's not available for MONTHS. Usually, I have to cancel my order and get it from Barnes and Noble... as I had to do this week, in fact.

In addition to the sites previously mentioned, I *LOVE* Book Closeouts, their prices often can't be beat - especially on "Scratch 'n Dent" books (I've only gotten one with a ripped cover once, the rest have been in great condition). This is my go-to site especially when I'm in the mood for some new books & don't have anything specific in mind (though I've also had luck working from a specific list of books).

Just to clarify: I'm NOT banning Amazon. The thread just got me wondering where else there was to shop, and some of these suggestions are great. I can tell I'm going to spend some serious time looking around the Book Depository site!