Menu

Hi, my name is Frontier Mom and I need a math intervention!

I need some advice, counseling, kick in the pants or something. Here is my dilemma and choices.

We started a very academically challenging coop this year which I am loving. However, math seems to have taken a back seat. :glare: Don't fuss, I know it is completely my fault but we need a math boot camp!!

Next week is our last coop until January. I plan to spend extra time daily getting caught up but need a plan. This is what I have and where we are:

Oldest ds - needs some additional work with Algebra 1 concepts and move into Algebra 2. What I have and can use:

Life of Fred- Beginning Algebra and Advanced Algebra

Key to... Algebra and online component

Saxon Algebra 1 and 2

BJU Algebra 1 and 2

LIAL Beginning Algebra

Can you tell I am a curriculum junkie? Anyway, what should I do to whip things into place. Thinking of LOF and Key to... with chapter tests from BJU or Saxon to see where he might have weaknesses. I just know we started the Algebra 2 book and he was lost.

I also have similar issues with the younger three. I have plenty of curriculum, just need a plan. What would you do and how can I keep them accountable? Daily list, weekly plan, etc.

Like I said, I need a good plan or kick in the pants.

Why don't you set the books in front of your kid, ask him to look through and pick out the one he likes the looks of and then just do it?

Seriously, if you can't decide and they are all good choices, then let him make the decision.

You are probably right. Math is a strong subject to me but I think it hinders us. The reason, I love all the different ways to teach rather it be Saxon, BJU and especially Life of Fred. However, my guys are not quite as excited:tongue_smilie: as I am about the math choices.

In hindsight, I wish I would have just stuck it out with Saxon at that point when I changed and maybe just supplemented. Now, I have too many choices but think they will all get me where I need to go.

I might just do this with each individual child. I guess, all in all, the best choice is the one that gets completed.

What text did you use for pre-algebra?

What did you use last year for algebra I?

How did he do on the tests for algebra I?

We used Saxon. Then, my ds seemed to just lose everything he had learned. I then used Lial's for a while. He seemed to like BJU for Algebra 1 since it was chapter based. However, when I started BJU Algebra 2 he didn't seem ready. I'm thinking maybe having him take the Algebra 1 tests and then I can pinpoint where he is "lost." Then, work on those chapters and move on.

I think we might also do LOF Algebra and the Key to.. Algebra books to shore up the Algebra skills. But, I might go back and have him take the Saxon tests from Algebra 1 and see where he is there. A different approach might be beneficial.

... and then just do it?

I think *that*'s the key. You have a bunch of good programs. It doesn't MATTER which you choose. But you have to DO it. Every day. Pick one. Any of 'em. And set aside two 45 minute sessions *per* *day* to work. A minimum of 5 days a week. Be consistent and just do it.

It will make a tremendous difference and you'll be amazed at the progress you make.

Pick something, don't second guess yourself, and start working. :) You can do it!

I think *that*'s the key. You have a bunch of good programs. It doesn't MATTER which you choose. But you have to DO it. Every day. Pick one. Any of 'em. And set aside two 45 minute sessions *per* *day* to work. A minimum of 5 days a week. Be consistent and just do it.

It will make a tremendous difference and you'll be amazed at the progress you make.

Pick something, don't second guess yourself, and start working. :) You can do it!

Thanks. You are right, I know!!

Key to... can be a good diagnostic tool. Another option is to have him do the chapter reviews in whichever Alg. 1 text has the best ones, then take the chapter test. See where the holes are.

Note that most curricula go Alg I - Geometry - Alg II, so that kids doing Alg II have had a whole year of using their algebra on Geometry problems. I know Saxon doesn't work like this; not sure about the others.

Another option for assessment is to do the "parent guide" page for each chapter of the McDougal Littell Algebra I book. Skip the first page and just work through the problems. Work through all 12 or 13 chapters; this will help you to pinpoint problem areas. If you have a math expert friend you can call on, have them sit down with ds as he works through the problems so they can assess his thought process and problem-solving skills.

http://www.classzone.com/books/algebra_1/index.cfm?state=PA

(click on each chapter to find the parent guide thingy.)

Once you've assessed the needs, make a list of things he has to review in Alg I, then find the chapters dealing with these things. Make a plan - so many lessons per week, or whatever, and try to stick to it. Be realistic about your co-op obligations when planning. Once you've reviewed, you can move up a book. Don't skimp on learning the algebra well before moving on! It's foundational.

Key to... can be a good diagnostic tool. Another option is to have him do the chapter reviews in whichever Alg. 1 text has the best ones, then take the chapter test. See where the holes are.

Note that most curricula go Alg I - Geometry - Alg II, so that kids doing Alg II have had a whole year of using their algebra on Geometry problems. I know Saxon doesn't work like this; not sure about the others.

Another option for assessment is to do the "parent guide" page for each chapter of the McDougal Littell Algebra I book. Skip the first page and just work through the problems. Work through all 12 or 13 chapters; this will help you to pinpoint problem areas. If you have a math expert friend you can call on, have them sit down with ds as he works through the problems so they can assess his thought process and problem-solving skills.

http://www.classzone.com/books/algebra_1/index.cfm?state=PA

(click on each chapter to find the parent guide thingy.)

Once you've assessed the needs, make a list of things he has to review in Alg I, then find the chapters dealing with these things. Make a plan - so many lessons per week, or whatever, and try to stick to it. Be realistic about your co-op obligations when planning. Once you've reviewed, you can move up a book. Don't skimp on learning the algebra well before moving on! It's foundational.

That is an awesome resource from McDougal!! Thanks!

He actually did TT Geometry last year. He did find with that part and had Geometry as well with the Saxon we used. I used TT Geometry when we changed from Saxon to BJU so he would have the Geometry component. We also used Kinetic Algebra which he did some of and some he didn't, hence our predicament. I found it hard to know where he was on the computer and I suspect he skipped around with the program.

That is an awesome resource from McDougal!! Thanks!

I believe that if you poke around on their site they have similar things for their Geometry and Alg II books. I've used the Algebra I pages to prep several kids who needed to take a placement test with the hopes of skipping Alg I based on their previous work in Algebra. We went over all the parent pages, and then went into more detail with anything that they were stuck on. All passed!

I believe that if you poke around on their site they have similar things for their Geometry and Alg II books. I've used the Algebra I pages to prep several kids who needed to take a placement test with the hopes of skipping Alg I based on their previous work in Algebra. We went over all the parent pages, and then went into more detail with anything that they were stuck on. All passed!

Thanks. I printed out all the chapters and plan to go through each one to see where he is exactly.