Menu

Can you tell me about PLL and ILL?

wy_kid_wrangler04

They incorporate the portion of grammar that is not really included in R&S or Abeka grammar, such as the copywork, dictation, narration, poetry study and other sorts of oral work. PLL is really more about these types of things and also has a lot of oral "studies" to get the student comfortable answering questions, thinking about things, etc. ILL does begin to have some more grammar work included.

I think they are a lot like Jessie Wise's FLL in feel. I used them alongside R&S to cover things it did not cover.

It covers everything Regena said. It isn't grammar intense (compared to something like Growing with Grammar), so we supplement with Cozy Grammar.

We've used both PLL and ILL for years, and I love the results. My 6th grader is finishing up ILL this year. I've found that for maximum results it was important for us to take each assignment seriously. Even the short oral lessons need to be done just so. I had started out with these books on the very casual side. If the girls became frustrated with the writing for example, I would let them do it orally. These books are great like that, (very adaptable). But, once I knew they could handle the work load, and we really gave 100% to each lesson, that's when I started to see and hear the true impact of the books. The lessons can be very subtle, but collectively they are solid.

These books aren't not for everyone, they're very old fashioned (there is a more modern version available). Like I said, we supplement with CG. I think because we found the perfect combination (for us), it makes it even easier to love PLL and ILL.

They incorporate the portion of grammar that is not really included in R&S or Abeka grammar, such as the copywork, dictation, narration, poetry study and other sorts of oral work. PLL is really more about these types of things and also has a lot of oral "studies" to get the student comfortable answering questions, thinking about things, etc. ILL does begin to have some more grammar work included.

I think they are a lot like Jessie Wise's FLL in feel. I used them alongside R&S to cover things it did not cover.

How do you think this would work for a boy with ADHD? (and possibly a few other issues going on- we have an app to figure all that out but thats a whole different post LOL) I know at first oral is going to be vital for him because he can only handle very limited amounts of sit down and write right now. I am working on increasing that but that certainly will take time. I have read the review from Cathy Duffy and love what I read- but I really value input from people who have used it!!

I do like the idea of combining that with R&S if we do decide to go that way!

It covers everything Regena said. It isn't grammar intense (compared to something like Growing with Grammar), so we supplement with Cozy Grammar.

So when would you recommend supplementing? Around 3rd grade or right away? I know this question will greatly depend on the individual child, but what would you recommend? Do you think sooner is better than later?

Serl's PLL is a gentle introduction to the language arts and grammar, with copywork, dictation, narration and picture study. There is also memorization involved. I like it as it's gentle, and ds is asked to write the complete sentences, which makes him think. He just did Lesson 16, which involves to, too, or two. He's writing 12 sentences, three at a time, in a span of four days. This way he's getting copywork in, and grammar.

Being nervous, and PLL being unconventional, I ordered Voyages in English for Grade 3. I don't know how we'll be able to fit in so much grammar, but I guess I could pick and choose from Voyages in English or substitute some of the memorization/poetry as we do this in Poetry anyway. I took a look at Sheldon's PLL and it looks great as a continuation if I find PLL and ILL not enough in the end. Ds is my first child, you know :tongue_smilie: You're always more insecure when you're doing something unconventional.

Edited by sagira

So when would you recommend supplementing? Around 3rd grade or right away? I know this question will greatly depend on the individual child, but what would you recommend? Do you think sooner is better than later?

I think it depends on the child, PLL can be more than enough for a kid (especially if you're going to take your time and keep it gentle in the beginning). If you figure 2 year to complete PLL, maybe no supplementing for the first year would be best?

It also depends on what you use to supplement. Anything to intense might put a negative slant on language arts.

I started both of my kids just watching CG dvds only, (no workbook). In fact right now I'm just having my 9yo read the series "If you were a.." http://www.amazon.com/You-Were-Adjective-Word-Fun/dp/1404819827/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1289510317&sr=8-1. We've also done Mad Libs and other "fun" grammar work.

Cozy Grammar is intense and thorough, so I have no worries about delaying grammar beyond what many think is late in the game.

When my eldest started CG dvd & workbook, the terms and concepts were familiar, so it was comfortable transition.

My ADHD son LOVES ILL. We use the old version of Easy Grammar along with it, just because if my son doesn't practice concepts regularly he forgets them. I use the Hillside Edition of ILL, which is Catholic, but the content except for 1 lesson is the same. I use it because it is spiral bound, 8x11 and most of the pictures are in color. It's easier for me to read because it's on larger paper and uses a larger font.

HTH,

Kim