Menu

All About Homophones Question

Sahamamama

Do you use All About Homophones? http://www.all-about-spelling.com/homophones-book.html

If so, for what age group would you recommend it?

My daughter is about to start first grade. She is a "word kid" and absolutely loves homophones. Go figure. :D She gets a kick out of them, and always enjoys finding them in her reading and spelling. She also is happy to explain them to us, ;) in case we don't understand... As in, "I mean we will tape the leaf to the window PANE -- p-a-n-e -- not that the window is a pain, hahahahahahahaha." Rolls with laughter.

Her other favorite lately was, "We could pare a pair of pears." Howled with laughter for days with that one.

So, All About Homophones for this kid?

Are all first graders like this?

:lol:

We are using it this year (just started) with a 9 year old and an almost 7 year old. I'm only doing one homophone set a week. So far I like it; my oldest is a word guy, but my younger son is also catching on quickly to the idea of homophones (he points them out all the time now even though we've only officially covered one set!). If your dd is already that aware of words and their usage, I would think she'd do fine with the program. :)

Here's what we do - first we use one of the "graphic" organizers to define the words in the homophone set (for instance, we started with the set "add/ad". We write the words and then look them up in the dictionary. I have mine write down the part of speech for each as we have studied those quite a bit in grammar. Then, we write the definitions and talk about ways to use them in sentences (the usage part is all oral - we come up with sentences together but they don't write those at first). After we have a feel for the words, then they write a sentence on their paper for each word.

The next day we review the definitions and parts of speech and then they complete the fill-in-the-blank worksheet for that homophone set. (The parts of speech can come in handy if they are having trouble deciding which word to use - for add/ad, I can ask if the missing word is a noun or a verb.) After so many sets, there is a crossword puzzle using all the words learned for that period of time. (We have not made it that far yet. ;) )

I bought it as an eBook so I can print what we need. I am happy with it so far, but then again, I love the programs she writes. (We are huge AAS fans!) Hope that helps. :D

I think she'd have fun with it, the worksheets are really interesting, and there are games etc... too, plus a master list of 1000 homophones in the back that makes a great reference.

Have you seen the sample pages? There are some linked on this page, that might help you decide. Also, I bet your daughter would enjoy the Homophones Machine--you type in a phrase or sentence correctly, and it comes out with the homophones!

Merry :-)

Thanks, ladies. I thought it might be okay for a bright first grader :blush:, which this one definitely is, but just wanted to check. OR...

Butt jest one Ted two cheque. :lol:

Merry, the Homophone Machine looks fun. Eye wood like two right sum moor homophones. :D

Ken ewe sea wear she gets it from?

Thanks, ladies. I thought it might be okay for a bright first grader :blush:, which this one definitely is, but just wanted to check. OR...

Butt jest one Ted two cheque. :lol:

Merry, the Homophone Machine looks fun. Eye wood like two right sum moor homophones. :D

Ken ewe sea wear she gets it from?

:lol::lol::lol:

Eye Ken knot understand ewe at awl!