Menu

Jonathan Park audio CDs?

ScoutTN

I know these are from Vision Forum, with whom I have some significant differences.

But I have heard good things about these CD sets. We are always looking for good audio books for our drive time!

Anyone know about them?

I am aware that they teach a strong YE creationist p.o.v.

thanks!

Can you borrow 1 or 2 CDs from a friend?

A good friend with boys the same age as mine raved about the audio books so I borrowed one of the CDs.

My boys didn't like it, at all (they were ages 7 & 9 at the time). I think it just depends on the kids.

Not very helpful, I know, but it's hard to say because what's good for one family, might not work for another. :)

My kids love them! They are a great way to sneak in science. I have learned so much. I can't think of anything objectionable in them if you understand they from a young earth pov. Then again I am in line with most of their views so things others may find objectionable I may not notice. I do think some of it is cheesy, but the kids don't seem to notice and they really enjoy them. I just ordered the 2 newest ones for Christmas.

I am aware that they teach a strong YE creationist p.o.v.

Sometimes, I think too strong. We are YEC, but are happy to give grace to Christians who are not, I think Jonathan Park is sometimes too "all or nothing" and they go overboard on the "Creator" and a little light on the "Redeemer" parts. So, we talk about that with our kids. We like them well enough, the earlier volumes more than the later ones. That being said, the children *love* the stories and ask for them regularly. We've been on a JP hiatus for several months because I listened to them too many times this summer :)

Every day Blue Behemoth (associated with VF somehow) has a "free download." Sometimes they have Jonathan Park episodes, like today! From Volume 1: The Art Heist Adventure. (This will only be available on Nov 11, 2010, but if you go to the main page, there may be other free downloads there) It might be worth downloading to listen to before making an investment.

• 2 months later...
Guest MountainMamaof2

My son received his first set of Jonathan Park cd's for his 9th birthday (he just got sets 2-3 for Christmas) after listening to the story on www.hiskids.net . The first time we put them in my husband was very skeptical, but we have all really hooked on them. We play them in the car and our son listens to them in his room. My son really loves dinosaurs so that is part of the draw for him. But he also likes that while he is learning about all the science in the stories he doesn't have to keep saying "not" to all the "....150,000 million years ago this dinosaur roamed the earth...." . He had been taught a very strong creation background and it is so refreshing to listen to these stories with that point of view emphasized. The stories flip back and forth between scenarios and it is very fast paced so you really have to pay attention when listening. I hope this helps.

Edited by MountainMamaof2

You can listen to a sample here http://www.jonathanpark.com/ if I copied that correctly. My kids love them, but I not crazy about some aspects of Vision Forum. Also, the CD we have have a lot of breaks for commercials for Vision Forum. That is very irritating.

But they are pretty interesting for my children and they remind us that God is creator. There is a lot of YE creation science info in each story. I would buy more, but I don't like the commercials.