Menu

Ok, so if you work part time, what do you do and a few more??

I'm just curious, what do you do? How far do you travel for work? How much extra do you bring in a month. What does it go towards? Do you work because you have to, want to, etc. How do you know when it's worth it to work.

For me, I work 2.5 hours a day, 5 days a week, normally about 12.5 hours a week, but sometimes up to 16-17 because they need me to come in earlier. I work for our church daycare from 3:30-6p.m. It's when the normal full time employees go home. It works well for us because I can leave my kids home alone, my daughter starts dinner, I leave her detailed instructions with things ready to go into the oven, start on the stove what not. We live three miles from our church, so the distance is not far at all. It helps me bring in about $400-$550 a month and we use it towards bills and things that we are saving for. I don't "have" to work, but it makes our life more comfortable when I do, plus I feel I'm supposed to be there ministering to the family and children that use our daycare. Right now I just plan to work during the school year, taking the summers off. The daycare changes dynamics a little bit in the summer and I help my husband in August.

So I'm just curious what others do. We've got one set of friends that are totally against mothers working and even against our church daycare, but really it's the choice that my dh & I have made and it's not their business. As far as the church is concerned, it's our church's main ministry and most people in the church see it as a positive thing, we live in a fallen world and people are not in a perfect situation to be staying home.

I have a business at home that I work anywhere from 2-8 hours a day on, depending on work load and schedules, etc. I am a fontographer - creating fonts from clients handwriting.

We use the $$ to supplement our income and pay for things we wouldn't normally get to do - tae kwon do for the kids/husband, extra fun on weekends, homeschool materials beyond our budget, etc.

I have the freedom in what I do to work before everyone is up, and if I need to pop in during the day to do something, etc. It's based on what my family schedule is, so not tied down to an employer's schedule. In fact, popping in to check on a client email now...and had to do a quick couple of website hits before heading back in to school marm mode :)

Edited by DarcyB

I am an acupuncturist, and while I had my NY license for a while, I only just received my Fl license (we moved here last year). I haven't begun working (again) yet. I am thinking a few patients only. I was offered a job at a hospital one day a week but the pay was not enough for me, and was offered another job 2 afternoons a week, but I think it's too much time away from the kids (would need to arrange childcare, etc.) so I am going to turn it down. I will work for myself as my father offered me free office space. In NYC I charged $80 per session, but never was comfortable or happy when people couldn't afford my sessions, so I began to work on a sliding scale. Here in Florida, I plan to offer my services for $40-50 a session, with each session lasting about 40 minutes. To me, that's a happy medium; I plan to see only 4-5 patients a week.

Until recently, I was a digital scrapbook elements designer for an online website. The money was reasonable, especially considering I could work from home. But working as an acupuncturist is my training, and is more fulfilling, so that's why I am getting back into it, albeit for just a few hours a week.

I substitute teach math/science classes at our local high school bringing in roughly $1000/month by working 7 out of 10 school days. The others I take off for my sanity (like yesterday and today).

I really enjoy it as a part time job. I get to interact with teens, try to help them with their education (not always just the academic part) and choose my days for the most part. It also keeps me up on what is going on locally in our high school for academic comparison and is a nice resource as I'm getting my own kids into college.

School is exactly 5 miles away, so that's as far as I travel for work. I started working because we needed the income when hubby started his business. I kept working when his business flourished because I loved it. I'm back to working for the income since the economy is down, down, down. I might even find I have to go full time at some point. Time will tell.

My boys have been mostly independent homeschoolers since we started homeschooling (9th, 7th, 5th grades respectively), so it's never interfered with homeschooling. Actually, working at the school is WHY we chose to homeschool when the oldest reached high school. I'm not terribly happy my youngest so desperately wanted to return for 9th grade, but with my assistance picking teachers and afterschooling, etc, it's working out ok.

I work 32 hours a week at a Wal-Mart 2.5 mi. from my home. I work in the cash office 4 shifts/week from 5-9 AM and do two overnight cashier/stocker shifts a week that go from 10 PM to 7 AM. I currently (after 3 yrs with the company) make a little over ten bucks and hour, and we definitely need my job--DH is a full time student and just got fired from his job a couple of weeks ago, but even before that I was making more than him. I'm the breadwinner at present.

It kind of stinks. I'm tired and sore especially after my overnight shifts, but it lets me be home enough with DD that we seem to have struck a balance.

I am a writer and write at home in the evenings and almost all day on Saturdays. Right now, I am waiting for the editing to finish and the advance money is long gone, so until it publishes and goes on the market it pays nothing.

I also sell my photography at artist markets. My dh is in the process of setting up my website, but right now I make enough to cover my expenses.

I am just starting to tutor for about an hour a week. That will bring in about $30 a week. Yay!

Dh and I are also starting our own business (it will be part time to start), but we won't see any money from that for at least a year.

Wow. Writing that all out makes me feel tired and broke. :tongue_smilie:

I do some contract work for a non-profit that supports families with hearing loss. I just finished up a commitment publishing the on-line newsletter for the last year and I am preparing to apply for a position that would work directly with families providing parent-to-parent support. It would be 7-10 hours a week, mostly from home (on-line and by phone) but some in-person training and face-to-face meetings. This would also continue the newsletter work.

I am struggling with a decision to apply for a weekend position at our city library. We really need the $$ but it would mean working all day Saturday and Sunday afternoons every weekend. With my kids in sports and activities, that is a big struggle for me because I really do not want to miss all of their games. :( Still praying over that one.

I do medical transcription for a local hospital. I work nights 28 hours per week. I make in the neighborhood of $25,000 per year and right now, it is definitely necessary. We are trying to pay off debt that we incurred when we were young and stupid. My salary also covers the extra stuff for the kids and for the family. I work at home so I have no commute time. If I had to go in to the hospital, I am about 3 minutes away.

I do medical billing and work from home, bringing in $1500-2000.+/month depending on the hours I work. I usually only work 5-6 hours a day, but my boss would prefer that I work 7-8 so I'm trying to make that happen (very hard while HS!).

I probably don't have to work, at least, DH makes enough so that I shouldn't have to, but it has never really been discussed. I was a single mom for years prior to marrying DH, so I'm used to working and enjoy the extra income.

My money pays for pretty much all of our homeschooling books/supplies, my books, clothes/makeup, "frivolous" things for the house, etc.

I do the administration work for our small church. I really only "actually" work 2hrs a week. I do everything from home unless we have a meeting scheduled.

I make $1000 a month. We use it to cover some expenses. All our money goes in the bank together, so you can't really say what goes to what. My dh makes good money but we have a lot of debt we are trying to pay off. If we reigned in our eating out I could definitely not work. But I feel truly blessed to have the extra money and such an easy job!

I'm a sign language interpreter. I definately don't HAVE to work but it helps and I do love it. I don't take more than a client or two per week, though. I can't really say how many hours that is b/c every job is different. It might be a 50 minute therapy/legal appt (though I do charge an hour and a half minimum) or an hours long concert or training or something.

I have been to, done, seen, heard, learned some of the most incredible stuff.

My money goes to extras, vacations, birthdays, Christmas, hobbies.

I would probably not like interpreting if I had to do the business/office stuff, though. I would hate keeping up with paperwork, invoices, calls, et c. I'm married to an accountant so I get to love my job and my honey.

I work a long Saturday once per month or two and I work an evening or so per week on average.

I don't work Sundays ever and I would only take a job during the day if it were something really spectacular. So when I work, my husband is home in the evening or weekend and if I take a job during the day, he comes home. Very rarely I have taken her to a friend's.

I work 24 hours a week in the medical records dept at the hospital. Definitely necessary since I'm a single mom. I work Th-S when dd is with her dad. I like it, but I really wish I didn't have to do it! But, the pay is ok, and I have excellent benefits. The hospital really takes good care of the employees (as well as the patients! LOL).

I teach a class a week at the local college on Saturday mornings, plus write/edit curriculum for a music publisher for about 10 hours a week from home.

I suppose technically I don't have to work, but I don't think I'd survive emotionally if I didn't. I need to talk to someone who isn't 6 years old and have the validation that something I do is valuable outside the family. And the extra income allows a few more fun things to be options for us as a family.

Edited by Dmmetler2

I work for myself, contracting to major clients to provide customer service and support. I have worked for a major travel client. Currently I work for a computer "fruit" (not allowed to post client names in online forums). I provided sales support via their online chat, if you went to their website to get help from the chat service, you may be talking to me!

I work 15-20 hours in general, set my own hours. Sometimes I work much more if I know we have something coming up that we need extra $$$. I have worked as many as 45 (the rest of our life and house was pretty much on hold). I usually work after 8p, so as my children are in bed, so I don't have to miss time with them.

The $$ covers extras for us. DH's $$$ covers bills and expenses, with a few pennies extra. My $$$ covers the fun things, the extras.

I love that I am at home, in my PJ's, working at a time that is convenient to me, and not having to worry about gas, work clothes, or working around an employer's schedule.

ps. PM me if you are interested in getting a job doing this as I can help you.

I'm a Typewell transcriber on our local state university campus. As a Typewell transcriber, I provide real-time communication access services for hard of hearing students; which means I sit in a classroom with a student and transcribe the lecture on my laptop as it's being given while they read what I'm typing on a laptop that's set up in front of them. The university paid for my training and employs me each quarter (as long as there are students that need the service). I drive 7-8 minutes into town when I have to go to work. It serves the same purpose as a sign-language interpreter, but the students I work with aren't necessarily deaf (so don't know/use sign language).

I work between 10-15 hours a week and gross $800 to $1200 a month. When I first got the job, the intention was for this money to be for extras like piano lessons, traveling to the monastery more, DVD programs, etc. Soon after starting, my husband lost his job, so now the money goes to paying bills. We're so thankful for what I've been able to contribute (he's also working as a handyman)! It can be rough schedule wise because the times I want to be home with my kids (morning hours) are the times most students take classes on campus. Thankfully one the students who requests me a lot has been having afternoon classes more. This quarter I have an 8-9 class in the morning, then don't go back until the afternoon. Perfect.

Hope that helps!

Edited by milovanĂƒÂ½

I teach group fitness. I make about $600 a month, sometimes more depending on how many other classes I sub for people.

I love it! It gets me out of the house doing something that I enjoy, and I get free daycare for my 6 year old. (No guilt either because I am right on the premises and he is only in there for an hour.) My older boys are more than capable of getting their chores and schoolwork started in the time I am gone.

I work about 6 hours a week as a psychotherapist (on one day) and also teach a graduate course at a local university (one three hour course on a different day from my therapy job). We need my income, and I also enjoy contact with the outside world most of the time...except for when I don't. lol (Sometimes it all piles up on me...)

I am very fortunate to have a graduate degree and an advanced license in my field (clinical social work), which opens up many part-time opportunities for me. I anticipate continuing to do these jobs for the foreseeable future.:001_smile:

I tutor elementary level math and reading. I currently do 7 1 hr sessions a week, though I have room in my schedule for 1 more, nobody wants it because it is Friday evening. I make around $600 a month. We don't need the money, but it pays for cellphones, karate - the only activity we all do together - and homeschooling supplies.

I want to start a small business teaching self defense seminars at local churches and community centers, but I haven't figured out how to go about it yet. Mostly I'm not sure how to get people to hire me. My only qualification is that I have an advanced belt in karate and have studied weapons fighting and jujitsu as well. No letters after my name or anything, lol.

I babysit a sweet little boy and work part time for a local company at home, although I haven't had any work from them in awhile (and my bank account is starting to feel it). When I do have work from them, I average about $800/month from both jobs. It goes toward food, electricity, and regular things such as that:) It is necessary as I am now a single mom (I get child support, too, so we're not living on only $800/month!).

I do language tutoring (mostly ESL) after school in my home. I have 5-6 one hour sessions per week, and make about $400 a month.

This is "my" money, which I can use for my personal discretionary spending (clothing, books, coffee out with a friend) and also for extra expenses that we don't necessarily have room for in the budget (gifts, bday parties, allowance, taking the kids out for a treat).

It is kind of our "back-up" money, and I will use it to cover groceries, etc. if we are running short at the end of the month. I am currently spending most of my $$ on baby items :)

I guess I don't "have" to work, but if I didn't, things would be really tight and we wouldn't have any discretionary $$ at all. I can't stand having to justify every little purchase and expense to dh (especially when it's something girly or for the kids that he wouldn't find "necessary"). Working a little bit provides me with some financial autonomy, while also creating a bit of a cushion to our budget.

I do computer systems work for several companies. I average about 8 hours/wk and make about $800/wk. My husband is disabled so, outside of disability benefits, it is our primary income. Depending on client needs, there are times when my work consumes more than 20 hours in a week and other times I have no work at all. My kids are independent learners for the most part but I do need to transport them to/from activities, define expectations, grade their work, teach math and generally help them when they don't get something. I feel fortunate that I am able to provide for my family with so few work hours/week. I hope that blessing continues.

I do computer systems work for several companies. I average about 8 hours/wk and make about $800/wk. My husband is disabled so, outside of disability benefits, it is our primary income. Depending on client needs, there are times when my work consumes more than 20 hours in a week and other times I have no work at all. My kids are independent learners for the most part but I do need to transport them to/from activities, define expectations, grade their work, teach math and generally help them when they don't get something. I feel fortunate that I am able to provide for my family with so few work hours/week. I hope that blessing continues.

Wow, you make a hundred bucks an hour? :w00t: Can I ask what you studied to get into your field?

I work from home doing administrative work for an online networking group. This be anywhere from 3-10 hours a week and can make me anywhere from $250 - $500 a month depending on the clients needs. I also work as the Faculty Secretary at our local community college 4 nights a week and Sat. am (20 hrs a week). This makes me about $1000 a month. I am exhuasted most days and rarely get to spend time with DH but it's where we are right now and I am so thankful to have both of these opportunities.

I work around ten hours a week at a group home for children with severe autism. The schedule is nice, because I only have to work every other weekend, and a couple of two-hour early morning shifts each week where I'm home by 8:30. It brings in around $500 a month.

Honestly, I don't recommend it- it's hard, stressful work, and with the low pay, it almost isn't worth it.

I was also doing a bit of writing and making a very, very small amount of money with that, but now that I don't have the internet at home and only get on once or twice a week, it's almost impossible to try to sell my work.

I work as a technology editor from home for a major company. I make very good money, and am the primary breadwinner. I only work about 30 hours a week, which is nice, because we have a disabled child who needs a LOT of attention and extra work (he's on the couch with pneumonia right now, dang it!).

I work 5 hours on Saturday--and will be adding 5 hours on Tuesday evenings--at a craft supply warehouse. I just pick and pack orders. It's very low-key, pays $9/hr. and is the most I can do right now around dh's work and college schedule and homeschooling. It's about 5 miles away. I like that I don't have to work with customers! LOL

I'm just curious, what do you do? How far do you travel for work? How much extra do you bring in a month. What does it go towards? Do you work because you have to, want to, etc. How do you know when it's worth it to work.

I work for the cable company doing inbound sales. 4 hours each evening with Tues & Fri off.

I drive there in less than 15 minutes.

I gross around $1750 and bring home around $1300 per month. They also give us a $300 cable/internet package (free) and corporate membership to almost all the museums (and other cultural centers) in NYC.

This money goes toward our debt (goal is be debt-free one day!!) and into the "Miscellaneous" envelope.

I initially started working so the kids could continue to do their extra-curriculars and maybe have something extra left over. So, I worked because I wanted to. Now (5 years later) I would feel lost without the money I bring in. It's just enough so that we're comfortable.

It's worth it if it's something you really need or if it helps to make your life more satisfying (or both!). I love my job and look forward to it each evening.

I work 24 hours a week in a call center. It's about a 10 minute drive in the morning with traffic and about 5 minutes coming home. I bring home around $300 a week. This is our cash money for groceries, gas in my car and the other things that come up through out the week like a dentist appt, picking up a pizza, birthday gifts for the kids, going to the movies and stuff like that. It really helps my husband buget his check for the bills because my check covers the odds and ends that always comes up. I get off work around noon and hubby leaves for work about 3:30 pm.

Edited by Sukale

I teach group exercise classes. I don't travel too far. up the road a bit to the gym.

Income: just at hobby level. I used to be a customer at the same place and now I get paid to teach the classes 2 times a week. Kinda fun. Most of the income will go the first year toward return on investment (as instructor I had to buy my microphone and stuff like that). Then, hoping that I'll be able to donate a good portion of the profits I make to favorite non profit group. My benefit is more that I work out harder, health of exercise, but it's fun to get paid for a hobby.

my oldest babysits for me for the hour.

-crystal

I am an elementary/secondary art teacher one day per week at a private Christian school. I drive 11 miles one way to work. I also teach privately to hs students from my home one afternoon a week, and am about to start an after school class for high school students at the private school where I am on faculty. (The school does not offer electives to high schoolers, so some students would like to have continued art training beyond 8th grade.)

On the weekday that I teach, my dd stays at home and works independently on the lessons I've laid out for her. My dear elderly mother lives with us, so they have a quiet day together watching over each other. The hs art class is one that dd takes part in, so that works out beautifully.

My earnings vary during the months, depending on the number of private students I have. My salary from the school (that is paid 12 months over the year) is a nice cushion, while the private students come and go as people's situations change. Right now I have three paying private students and am about to sign on 6-8 more. So at the moment, that means I'll be bringing home about $1100 total per month for the next several months. I like it that I can decide how much of a work load I'll carry throughout the year, and I have every summer off while still getting paid because of my school salary. Ideally, the money I bring home is supposed to be paying off debts, but with my husband's job situation this past couple of years, we have had to depend on it to help us get by. We are hoping that the job he's on now will even out over the coming months so I can get back to making payments on some student loans and extra on the mortgage.

I have to say that this is one of the best seasons of my life. Teaching art and homeschooling is such a joy to me. I really love it! I'm so thankful to be in a place where I can help my husband with some income and still be at home most of the time.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I teach English classes to home schooled middle and high school students one day a week from 9:30-2:30. My mom keeps my kids. She does some school with DS while I am gone, and I do the rest when I get home. Next year when he is in 1st grade, he will go with me.

I am a physical therapist for children under 3yo. I work 1 day (about 10 hours), used to work another half day each week but cut back my hours a couple months ago to ease my schedule a bit. I travel a lot for work going house to house sometimes as much as 50 miles a day back and forth across the county.

I bring in around $2000 a month give or take depending on my schedule and how many kids I am currently seeing. What I make goes for the extras like the kids activities, clothing, vacations, etc...

Guest Cindie2dds

I work as a flight attendant for a major carrier. I love my job. I started working 7 years before I had kids and I try to work as little as I can. It ends up being about 8 days a month on average. My husband is a freelancer, so I have the insurance. We love to travel and he brings the girls with him and follows me on my trips. It's just our lifestyle and since we can homeschool, we can stay together as a family. :)

ETA: I bring in about $1400 a month working 8-ish days.

I am an Esthetician and have varied hours. I work evenings Tuesday - Fridays and for about 4 hours on Saturdays. My hours are all by appointment only and the spa is 3 minutes from my house, so I work when I want. I'm blessed in that I don't have to work, but it does help pay for extras like oral surgery and braces for our ds 13.

I babysit anywhere from about 8 to 14 hours a day, one day a week (had a long day today, 6am-8pm) for one child. I make $13 an hour, and they pay nanny tax on top of that.

I also pet sit, making about $10-15 per visit--usually get 2 or 3 clients a month, maybe 10-15 days a month. Busy season is coming up, where I might have 3 or 4 long (7 day) assignments. Cats are the easiest, as they don't require walking, and are generally once a day.

I do give up some holidays, but it's just a hour or two here and there. I won't sit Christmas am, but I will later in the day (so cats only for Christmas, or I get a long dog assignment at that time of year and just get a sub for Christmas Day).

My plan is to try dog walking after the child I sit for moves to ME in April. Then it'll be 3-4 hours every day in the middle of the day, making roughly $60 a day, or $1100 a month.

Well, I manage our IT business (which is working from home--answering phones, setting appointments, billing, bookkeeping--for 5-10 hrs/wk) and I also work 10-14 hrs/wk as a contract physical therapist. Managing our business is not a paying job per se (I don't get a paycheck but it does benefit the family as the business is our primary source of income) and obviously I do not travel for it. The physical therapy job brings about $1600/mo (gross). That money guarantees that, no matter how bad our business is doing, we keep our house, our lights, our heat, and some food.

Our income dropped significantly this year... and this year we have had to replace my mini-van. So, I started working part time at Target. I love it!!

They hire friendly people... I like friendly people... so I get along great with co-workers. It's fast paced, so that works for me, too!

I try to work while the children are at school in the mornings. Or I will work in the evenings when dh is home. When dh is out of town, the children are either with their grown siblings or grandparents... so I don't have babysitting costs.