Menu

Chalkdust PreCalculus - Chapter 5

Yes--Chapter Five covers a LOT of material. Dh, a high school math and science teacher, had ds do Ch. 5 slowly and thoroughly. He said it's essential to have a good understanding of that material before going on. So, you're right that it's a challenging chapter.

Ds is on 6.3 right now. The lessons in Chapter Six cover a lot of ground as well. For both chapters, most of the lectures are very long and the lessons include multiple concepts.

My two oldest finished CD Precalc. Both thought it was the most challenging of the CD courses (Alg. I - Calc. II). The CD rep told me that most students take 1 1/2 years to finish Precalc. It took about that long for them, because of a variety of circumstances.

Here's what they thought of the Precalc chapters.

Ch. P - They skipped this because it was a review of algebra.

Chs. 1-3: Mostly review of Alg. I & I

Chs. 4-6: New stuff; more challenging

Chs. 7-9: Mostly review of Alg. II topics, some new stuff

Chs. 10-11: New stuff; the most challenging

Ch. 12: Limits; this is virtually the same as Ch. 1 of the Calculus book. They skipped this and started Calculus.

If your ds really knows his algebra, trig, and analytic geometry well, he will find calculus easier than precalc.

GardenMom