Menu

Ack! Hydrogenated Veg. OIls in Peanut Butter

I am so embarrassed that just did not know this. :tongue_smilie: I used to buy the natural peanut butters, then for whatever reason I ended up with a couple of big jars of Jiff. The kids really liked the Jiff so I just kept buying it instead (and it's way cheaper). Today I read the label and it has hydrogenated oils in it! No wonder I don't have to stir it like I do with the natural. UGH!!!!!!! I thought they were eating FOOD when I fed them PB&J's. Well, at least I know now so I can switch back to the real peanut butter. I just thought that maybe someone else here doesn't know but would like to know.

We buy Jiff Natural. It doesn't have hydrogenated oils and you don't have to stir it - I hate stirring! :)

I don't mind the stirring, I hate the refrigerating! I can't stand cold, hard peanut butter.

We've gone non-hydrogenated on almost everything, but I'm keeping my Jif.

I hope the food police don't find out. :auto:

I stick w/either Adams or Trader Joe's brands. The "naturals" still have additives in them. The ingredient list should be peanuts, and maybe salt. If it has anything else in it, it's not "natural" imo.

I just noticed that one of my favorite natural brands has a "no stir" version - no hydrogenated fats, but it does have coconut oil.

No, thanks - I'll stick with my stirring. We like Teddy Super Chunky. :D Ingredients: Peanuts, Salt.

I don't mind storing it in the fridge - if you do that, you only have to stir the first time. I also pour off almost half the oil before stirring, which makes the stirring less messy, the pb less runny, and hey, actually makes the pb lower in fat!

I use my hand mixer with one beater on it to stir my peanut butter. It's much easier to stir and does a more thorough job; no dried out peanut butter at the bottom of the jar.

I never refrigerate my Adams peanut butter. I don't care what it says on the jar. It's never caused a problem in the 13+ years I've been eating it.

It may be natural, but did you look at how much sugar is in there? There is both sugar and molasses!

Skippy Natural is slightly better in that it only has added sugar and not the molasses. But still. . . it has added sugar!

Yes! Once I was going to get a no-stir pb but every one of them had sugar! So we stick to the Kroger natural--peanuts and salt. Theirs seems to have more oil or something because it's still soft after stirring and refrigerating.

My kids are so used to natural pb they think the "regular" sweetened pb tastes funny. OTOH when I made pbj sandwiches for the neighbor kids they wouldn't eat them. (Of course that could also have something to do with the fact that we use whole wheat bread and don't use grape jelly--blech!)

Cinder

We use the TJ's brand. We had a doctor tell us that the valencia peanuts are better because there isn't as much mold on them. So, if you have mold issues, PB could be a problem.

As if there weren't enough things to worry about - right?!

Thank goodness Trader Joe's has an organic valencia peanut PB!!! It's just peanuts and salt!

I only buy peanut butter that is peanuts and salt. I don't want the oil or the sugar. We've actually bought a few different brands due to sales, and I've been happy with all of them. I store the jars upside down. I don't care for the cold stiff peanut butter, but the stirring softens it up. I'm not crazy about the stirring either, but it's a small price to pay to not have the sugar.