Menu

Can MUS and RightStart be used together?

AngelBee

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

I think only if you don't mind each teaching different things. It's been a long time since I looked at RS but I have all levels of MUS and it is very different in it's scope and sequence (1st book is single digit addition/subtraction, 2nd book multiple digit addition/subtraction, 3rd multiplication, etc). I'm pretty sure MUS would be going deeper into concepts being studied while RS would be introducing new ones. Some will buy just the RS games to use with MUS but I don't think I've heard of the full programs being used together.

I think only if you don't mind each teaching different things. It's been a long time since I looked at RS but I have all levels of MUS and it is very different in it's scope and sequence (1st book is single digit addition/subtraction, 2nd book multiple digit addition/subtraction, 3rd multiplication, etc). I'm pretty sure MUS would be going deeper into concepts being studied while RS would be introducing new ones. Some will buy just the RS games to use with MUS but I don't think I've heard of the full programs being used together.

That makes sense.

I really like MUS, but would like to suppliment.

Any programs you think would pair nicely with MUS?

I will try to figure out what games/things I can add to what we are doing also.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
That makes sense.

I really like MUS, but would like to suppliment.

Any programs you think would pair nicely with MUS?

I will try to figure out what games/things I can add to what we are doing also.

My favorite is LOF, but at present it doesn't start until Fractions. The author is currently writing elementary books but that doesn't help us now:lol: With my younger dd we are using Math Mammoth's Blue Series (the blue series so I can choose the concepts I want to cover with it) with MUS and so far it's a pretty good fit but I prefer LOF and will use it with MUS when the new books come out.

My favorite is LOF, but at present it doesn't start until Fractions. The author is currently writing elementary books but that doesn't help us now:lol: With my younger dd we are using Math Mammoth's Blue Series (the blue series so I can choose the concepts I want to cover with it) with MUS and so far it's a pretty good fit but I prefer LOF and will use it with MUS when the new books come out.

I am excited to be able to use LOF. We aren't quite there yet. Ds10 is close and I have LOF fractions waiting on the shelf. :)

That will be awesome when elem. levels are done!

Would Singapore be too crazy of a stretch?

I know MUS is a great fit for my ds10. I just feel that I may be going at a slower pace than needed for my dd8.

Also my ds6 is VERY math minded, so I worry he will get bored. :001_huh:

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
I am excited to be able to use LOF. We aren't quite there yet. Ds10 is close and I have LOF fractions waiting on the shelf. :)

That will be awesome when elem. levels are done!

Would Singapore be too crazy of a stretch?

I know MUS is a great fit for my ds10. I just feel that I may be going at a slower pace than needed for my dd8.

Also my ds6 is VERY math minded, so I worry he will get bored. :001_huh:

I have zero experience with Singapore, sorry.

One of the beauties of MUS is that you go at the pace the student needs. Have you tried going faster with your ds?

I have zero experience with Singapore, sorry.

One of the beauties of MUS is that you go at the pace the student needs. Have you tried going faster with your ds?

True. Not yet. He just turned 6. I was working through Primer, but was thining he could probably go right to Alpha. He is in K.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
True. Not yet. He just turned 6. I was working through Primer, but was thining he could probably go right to Alpha. He is in K.

Primer is the only level that doesn't require mastery so he will likely slow down once he gets to Alpha. Primer is optional but is a nice introduction (it introduces many of the concepts in Alpha) and if the child has mastered concepts (my dd did) it will make Alpha go faster. I like it because it's a gentle into:001_smile:

Primer is the only level that doesn't require mastery so he will likely slow down once he gets to Alpha. Primer is optional but is a nice introduction (it introduces many of the concepts in Alpha) and if the child has mastered concepts (my dd did) it will make Alpha go faster. I like it because it's a gentle into:001_smile:

That is why I got it. I am just surprised because he keeps solving random multiplication problems he comes up with. He talks and I am like :confused: Where did that come from??? :lol:

Then I was thinking he won't even be seeing multiplication for 2 more years (give or take). Maybe I should give him some intro multi. stuff (like Singapore? I don't know) jst to keep his curiousity going.

I own Miquin, too. Maybe that would be the answer. Just some free play with the concepts. Or some games and leave it at that. :)

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
That is why I got it. I am just surprised because he keeps solving random multiplication problems he comes up with. He talks and I am like :confused: Where did that come from??? :lol:

Then I was thinking he won't even be seeing multiplication for 2 more years (give or take). Maybe I should give him some intro multi. stuff (like Singapore? I don't know) jst to keep his curiousity going.

I own Miquin, too. Maybe that would be the answer. Just some free play with the concepts. Or some games and leave it at that. :)

My dd does the same thing. I don't think my older boys did but it's been a long time and they weren't using MUS yet. I think it's because she see's the numbers in her head. The funny thing is that she is visually impaired and only has somewhat decent vision in one eye.

I don't have any experience with Miquon but I know several here do (especially SpyCar). You might want to start a new thread about MUS and Miquon to get more hits.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

I forgot to add that my dd wanted to move too fast in Alpha because she wanted to do all the worksheets for a lesson in one sitting:001_huh: While her enthusiasm was great doing one lesson/day doesn't allow time for mastery:lol: That's why I bought MM Blue Series, so she could do lots more worksheets without doing all MUS's worksheets in one day. I have added things in like Clocks, Geometry, Money, etc but haven't gone ahead in concepts like addition/subtraction and multiplication/division.

I didn't use MUS for very long (about 4-5 months) but from what I remember it wouldn't work very well w/ RS. Like the op mentioned, Alpha is single digit add/sub. RS has them learn addition up through 4 digit before really getting into any subtraction (sub. starts at the end of level B-first grade). So while both are good programs, the scope/sequence is very different.

I agree, MM would probably work well. I've added that into our math and I love it.The Blue series is arranged by topics (only have to buy certain ones for ex: place value) and the Light Blue is by grade.

ETA: you could always get the games book if you wanted to teach in a RS style.