Menu

anyone else's 13 yo dc still have 11 baby teeth?

My nearly 13 yo ds still has 11 baby teeth with none even loose. The dentist says the x-rays look really good with healthy and straight adult teeth there but still not ready to come in. He says that while it may become a problem at some point it is not now. He also is pretty sure he will avoid braces because his mouth has had so much time to grow.

I'm not concerned but I do think it is very unusual. Does anyone else have a teen with so many baby teeth?

My dd12 has that many left to loose. Her orthodontist is NOT concerned and thinks the teeth will come in fine just slowly. Dd12's braces are for bite issues not teeth ones.

The dentist was all uptight about the baby teeth but the orthodontist told him to calm down and he has. I love second opinions when they make sense!

I'm eager to find out... My 8 1/2 yr old has only lost 2 teeth naturally. She had 4 pulled by the dentist when the adult teeth showed up behind them. Each time a tooth was pulled, you could see the giant root that it had... I'm pretty sure she'll be 13 with a good number of baby teeth left.

If your dentist says it's fine, it probably is ;).

I have noticed a wide variety in physical maturity/growth among kids that age. I also believe kids tend to lose their teeth at a rate similar to when their baby teeth came in.

My ds will be 14 in a few weeks. He has all his adult teeth, and his wisdom teeth are starting to come in :001_huh:. His baby teeth came in from 4 months and in rapid succession.

I would say if this follows his general pattern of growth and tooth eruption, it's likely normal and fine.

Wow, i thought my daughter (13 1/2) was late losing her baby teeth - she now has one left that she refuses to let go. All of her friends have lost all of their baby teeth and it seemed like she was the last one that still had some remaining. However, like everyone else said, everyone is different and it sounds like it might be better for your child in the long run losing them at this rate.

My dd turned 15 in Sept. A few weeks ago we had 3 of her baby teeth pulled. Permanent teeth were under two but not pushing them out and one permanent tooth had already come in behind a baby tooth (a canine tooth) that didn't get pushed out.

She has 2 appointments set up to have 9 more baby teeth pulled out.

The baby teeth do not have roots.You can see on the x-rays that the roots to the baby teeth are gone. There is a membrane between the baby teeth and the permanent teeth that the baby teeth are attached to. The permanent teeth can be seen under the baby teeth on X-rays. The roots of some of the permanent teeth are beginning to go off to the side due to the overcrowding caused by the baby teeth still being in the way, which could become a problem if that continues.

The problem with letting this go on for too long is that it could cause the permanent teeth to come in incorrectly. It may not cause a problem if it were just left a lone and you let the baby teeth come out on their own,but it can cause a problem. A dentist needs to take a look at x-rays to see how the permanent teeth are being affected.

My husband knows the dentist and was talking about this to him before the dentist saw our daughter. The dentist said that it may not be a problem and we may be able to just let them come out on their own. However, when I took her in and he did the x-rays it does look like it is beginning to be a problem and the baby teeth do need to be taken out because of how the roots on the permanent teeth are shifting due to overcrowding. But my daughter is 15. The dentist did not determine this until he saw the x-rays.

Edited by Miss Sherry

My nearly 13 yo ds still has 11 baby teeth with none even loose. The dentist says the x-rays look really good with healthy and straight adult teeth there but still not ready to come in. He says that while it may become a problem at some point it is not now. He also is pretty sure he will avoid braces because his mouth has had so much time to grow.

I'm not concerned but I do think it is very unusual. Does anyone else have a teen with so many baby teeth?

Luke is 12 1/2 and still has 12 baby teeth to lose. The pediatric dentist is not concerned at all, and neither am I!

My dd turned 15 in Sept. A few weeks ago we had 3 of her baby teeth pulled. Permanent teeth were under two but not pushing them out and one permanent tooth had already come in behind a baby tooth (a canine tooth) that didn't get pushed out.

She has 2 appointments set up to have 9 more baby teeth pulled out.

The baby teeth do not have roots.You can see on the x-rays that the roots to the baby teeth are gone. There is a membrane between the baby teeth and the permanent teeth that the baby teeth are attached to. The permanent teeth can be seen under the baby teeth on X-rays. The roots of some of the permanent teeth are beginning to go off to the side due to the overcrowding caused by the baby teeth still being in the way, which could become a problem if that continues.

The problem with letting this go on for too long is that it could cause the permanent teeth to come in incorrectly. It may not cause a problem if it were just left a lone and you let the baby teeth come out on their own,but it can cause a problem. A dentist needs to take a look at x-rays to see how the permanent teeth are being affected.

Wow! How awful to have to have all those teeth pulled. Our dentist is monitoring the x-rays so I think it will be okay. I sure would like him to lose them on his own, though.

It's not that I'm really worried. I just find the whole thing curious because we don't know any kids with this issue. My second ds looks like he is going to be the same way. He lost the first 6 or so and at nearly 11 he hasn't lost anymore. His adult teeth are much higher up on the x-ray than the 13 yo so I guess they are both just slow.

I hope your daughter makes it through all those dental visits okay and has no further problems.