Menu

Cursive Recommendations?

Diana B

I was all set to get HWT 3rd Grade for my 7 yr old to start cursive this year. I'm glad he decided BEFORE I got it that he absolutely hates the double lines in HWT. He prefers (and writes much nicer) with the standard 3 lines w/ a middle dashed line.

So... what should I use? I want something that is not teacher intensive. It needs to fit into his independent time. He needs something with the instruction, not just copywork.

Suggestions?

Well, we love Peterson Directed Handwriting, but it is very teacher-intensive.

Actually I would suggest rethinking the preference against teacher-intensive programs. Handwriting is fundamentally a physical skill, and as such just can't be done well (IMO) without constant modeling, observation, and correction to nip bad habits in the bud, before they're engrained in muscle memory.

:001_wub: I love Pentime Penmanship. Traditional cursive is introduced 1/2 way through the 2nd grade, but 3rd grade starts out reviewing the lowcase strokes, uppercase strokes and the various letters. The series goes all the way through the 8th grade. I only discovered them last year, but went ahead and picked up a workbook for all my schoolage children. Everyone's handwriting has improved, especially my oldest son's handwriting. All 4 of the children are able to use the books independently. Each level of the book includes plenty of work on cursive (after it's introduced) and practice with manuscript. They do include some religious material if that is a concern. The series is available from Rainbow Resources. My 8th grade son is completing the last book. It works on his cursive, and introduces calligraphy. :D Did I mention that I love the series?

With my 7 yo boy I am doing Christian Light Education - I can do cursive (avail. at rainbowresources) . We both love it. I like the style-traditional , yet easy to learn. A lot of Bible & animals copywork after they learn how to form the letters. Many pages to practice , unlike most books. One of the cheapest too .

I have Cheerful cursive for sale (new) which is loved by many but not me :)

We are using this D'Nealian series (we are using McRuffy which is basically the very same style). I think book 3 would be the transition into cursive:

http://rainbowresource.com/prodlist.php?sid=1289419403-1728970&subject=9&category=2029

I really like the look of New American Cursive, but I just couldn't justify the price. :sad:

http://newamericancursive.com/alphabet/

Here are a few handwriting comparison charts that might help you make a decision:

http://familyphonics.com/handwriting/table.htm

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/cms_content?page=314397&sp=1016&event=1016RNF%7C1073374%7C1016

:001_wub: I love Pentime Penmanship. Traditional cursive is introduced 1/2 way through the 2nd grade, but 3rd grade starts out reviewing the lowcase strokes, uppercase strokes and the various letters. The series goes all the way through the 8th grade. I only discovered them last year, but went ahead and picked up a workbook for all my schoolage children. Everyone's handwriting has improved, especially my oldest son's handwriting. All 4 of the children are able to use the books independently. Each level of the book includes plenty of work on cursive (after it's introduced) and practice with manuscript. They do include some religious material if that is a concern. The series is available from Rainbow Resources. My 8th grade son is completing the last book. It works on his cursive, and introduces calligraphy. :D Did I mention that I love the series?

:iagree: I was coming here to recommend the same thing.