Menu

Your Favorite Romantic Movie Scenes

sparrow

I'm in some kind of a mood I guess :001_wub:. I've been thinking of my all time favorite romantic movie scenes. My hands down favorite, the one that absolutely makes me weak in the knees, is from It's a Wonderful Life:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf6e6dY1F0E

There are 3 from North and South. The obvious "Train Station Scene", the "Look back, look back at me Scene", but the one that sets me aflutter is "The Lingering Handshake":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU_xKsSHwOc

I *know* that kind of electricity. I remember my knee accidentally touching my future husband's knee before we were even dating and I swear there was a physical JOLT!

What are your favorite scenes?

The shaving scene in Phenomenon.

There is a great scene between the Iranian couple in House of Sand and Fog that is beautifully romantic, but 1) the movie is so sad overall that I have only watched it once - only movie I have ever watched only once and 2) I don't want to spoil the movie for anyone who hasn't seen it, so I can't share any more.

Guido's wooing of Dora in Life is Beautiful, esp. where they enter the greenhouse. Or when Dora gets on the train.

The Chow Fun's scene in Story of Us.

I remember watching a special where Siskel and Ebert listed their top ten romantic scenes from movies, and Gene Siskel said he thought that the most romantic scene in a movie was the spaghetti scene in Lady and the Tramp. I wouldn't consider it the most romantic, but I would definitely have it in my top ten.

Dh and I came up with a top ten list a while ago, but all the others are escaping me right now.

You'll all think I'm nutty, but I *love* the scene in The Village where the 2 main characters are sitting on the front porch and declaring their feelings for one another.

Oh my goodness! I love that one. The kids and I went around quoting that to each other for a while!

You've Got Mail, where Tom Hanks says:

"I would have asked for your phone number and I wouldn't have been able to wait 24 hours before calling and asking, "How about coffee, drinks, dinner, a movie, for as long as we both shall live?" "

YES! I LOVE that scene!

One of my faves: "Wives & Daughters" when Molly is crying her eyes out after Roger has left for Africa, looks out the window and sees him standing in the rain looking up at her window. She runs outside, and he starts asking her all of those questions, and she just answers, "Yes!" to each one.... oh, and they can't even touch each other because he's been exposed to some disease (I can't remember what it was) and he's promised her father that he won't come near her.

Edited by BikeBookBread

Oh and another I LOVE is from "50 First Dates."

I love the end of that movie where he makes her that home video so she can watch it when she first wakes up and see scenes from their life, their wedding, etc, so she would know who he was.

And then when she comes out and he says good morning and asks her "would you like to meet your daughter?"

And in the meanwhile, "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" by IZ is playing...

Chills! Seriously!

(And I love Adam Sandler AND Drew Barrymore and especially love them together :D)

Edited by NanceXToo

The scene in The Village where the red-haired girl and Joaquin Phoenix are sitting on the porch sharing their feelings...his speech there is *SO* amazing I rewound and watched it again right after it happened. :) It gave me chills.

Ivy: When we are married, will you dance with me? I find dancing very agreeable. Why can you not say what is in your head?

Lucius Hunt: Why can you not stop saying what is in yours? Why must you lead, when I want to lead? If I want to dance I will ask you to dance. If I want to speak I will open my mouth and speak. Everyone is forever plaguing me to speak further. Why? What good is it to tell you you are in my every thought from the time I wake? What good can come from my saying that I sometimes cannot think clearly or do my work properly? What gain can rise of my telling you the only time I feel fear as others do is when I think of you in harm? That is why I am on this porch, Ivy Walker. I fear for your safety before all others. And yes, I will dance with you on our wedding night.

Elizabethtown, when Kristen Dunst and Orlando Bloom spend all night talking on the phone.

Mamma Mia the movie, "Lay All Your Love On Me."

Now I'm thinking of scenes from TV shows, not movies...

The gazebo scene was good, but I really loved the scene where they dance outside on the patio.

YES! The Laendler dance! So lovely. "...it must be the night air!"

Check out this couple who did it as their wedding dance with their bridal party for a '40's themed wedding! I just find this dance mesmerizing.

Christopher Plummer makes me swoon.

astrid

Edited by astrid

Oh and another I LOVE is from "50 First Dates."

I love the end of that movie where he makes her that home video so she can watch it when she first wakes up and see scenes from their life, their wedding, etc, so she would know who he was.

And then when she comes out and he says good morning and asks her "would you like to meet your daughter?"

And in the meanwhile, "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" by IZ is playing...

Chills! Seriously!

(And I love Adam Sandler AND Drew Barrymore and especially love them together :D)

:iagree: That whole movie I was wondering how they were going to get to the "happy ending". I loved it.

I also loved the ending of "Never Been Kissed" (yeah I'm a Drew Barrymore fan).

Dirty Dancing, Sound of Music, Mamma Mia - loved all those too.

I'm in some kind of a mood I guess :001_wub:. I've been thinking of my all time favorite romantic movie scenes. My hands down favorite, the one that absolutely makes me weak in the knees, is from It's a Wonderful Life:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf6e6dY1F0E

There are 3 from North and South. The obvious "Train Station Scene", the "Look back, look back at me Scene", but the one that sets me aflutter is "The Lingering Handshake":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU_xKsSHwOc

I *know* that kind of electricity. I remember my knee accidentally touching my future husband's knee before we were even dating and I swear there was a physical JOLT!

What are your favorite scenes?

:iagree: Hands down the phone scene from It's a Wonderful Life :svengo:

I too remember the 'jolt' when dh and I were just getting to know each other. He was standing behind me with his hands on the chair and I could 'feel' him even though we weren't actually touching...swoon!

The A&E version of Pride & Prejudice. Elizabeth helps Darcy's sister with the sheet music to calm her after Duckface mentions Mr. W. Just the way Elizabeth and Darcy look at each other across the room.... that always gives me goose bumps. To know that there is so much unspoken between them, that no one else in the room has a clue about... I love that scene.

Pride and Prejudice (the Keira Knightly one) where Mr. Darcy is walking to her through the mist.

:iagree:http://www.youtube.com/user/savinggrace75?feature=mhum#p/f/44/pqidX_5ZsLg

I also love the entire movie 50 First Dates. Another favorite is this one from the movie Music and Lyrics. I love Hugh Grant and Drew Barrymore.

the end of the notebook is awesome...lots of wonderful love scenes throughout actually. i also like the end of jerry maguire (when he realizes he loves his wife and runs as fast as he can from the football field to find her). you complete me, lol. lastly, i LOVE "say anything"...the whole movie rocks and is fiiled with sweet first love moments. i love sappy love stories though, so pretty much any movie where "love conquers all" is going to win me over.

The gazebo scene was good, but I really loved the scene where they dance outside on the patio.

Oh, yes, definitely - the way they look at each other. I get butterflies thinking about it.

YES! The Laendler dance! So lovely. "...it must be the night air!"

Check out this couple who did it as their wedding dance with their bridal party for a '40's themed wedding! I just find this dance mesmerizing.

Christopher Plummer makes me swoon.

astrid

I wanted to marry CP when I grew up.:D

The link didn't work for me, though.

When Harry Met Sally - at the end where he runs to the party and pours his heart out to her. I just swoon. I love that movie.

Yes, I'd forgotten about that one. I love that scene, too.

The A&E version of Pride & Prejudice. Elizabeth helps Darcy's sister with the sheet music to calm her after Duckface mentions Mr. W. Just the way Elizabeth and Darcy look at each other across the room.... that always gives me goose bumps. To know that there is so much unspoken between them, that no one else in the room has a clue about... I love that scene.

Duckface!:lol: Yes, Colin Firth has an awesome way of communicating with his eyes. He did that in Bridget Jones Diary at the dinner table (with the blue soup), too.

Mark & Bridget in Bridget Jones's Diary. :D

:iagree: Favorite Scenes

(Warning: There is some objectional language)

Gotta love Colin :drool5:

Yes! Say Anything. Actually while we're at it, any John Cusack romantic scene for instance the ending glove scene in Serendipity.

:iagree:

The scene in "While You Were Sleeping" When "leaning" is discussed between Sandra Bullock (Lucy) and Bill Pullman (Jack). No touching between the actors was involved ... the acting was all in the eyes ...and their body language.... sigh ... swoon of happiness

These are 3 of my favorite movies!!!

Edited by mom2a&z

Pretty much anything from Moonstruck.

Loretta, I love you. Not like they told you love is, and I didn't know this either, but love don't make things nice - it ruins everything. It breaks your heart. It makes things a mess. We aren't here to make things perfect. The snowflakes are perfect. The stars are perfect. Not us. Not us! We are here to ruin ourselves and to break our hearts and love the wrong people and *die*. The storybooks are *bull*****. Now I want you to come upstairs with me and *get* in my bed!

Here it is on you tube at 2:58:

Edited by Amy loves Bud

Well... it's not totally romantic, but... wow!

In Phantom of the Opera when the Phantom has staged his own opera and Christine has gone on stage... she is frightened... he is full of confidence and power... their song, the building of the tension of the scene... I can't help but wish Christine would fall for him!!! And that drives my kids up the wall. I think the phantom has much more passion than her boyfriend...

Anyway...

Lol.

So many of my favorites have been listed, but I want to add this scene from Dr Who

I know it is not a movie and I don't find the actor particularly attractive, but when he says "I'm coming to rescue you," I get goosebumps

:iagree: This is the scene that sold me on Dr. Who. And, it might sound weird, but it's not the romance that strikes me about it, it's that it totally reminds me of Jesus, coming to rescue humanity. Just that absolute clarity of purpose. But then, I think most great art echoes the Great Story, so to speak (and yes, I know the screenwriter's an atheist; I read and loved his book). Anyway . . .

Other romantic scenes:

I love Notting Hill, but not for the central couple. The supporting cast of characters is what's amazing in that movie. I love Bella and Max - the look he gives her after she lets their circle of friends know that they can't have children . . . wow. And the crazy friend and sister, when she declares her love, and he's so shocked that he's the one she's picked . . . and then later when they're dancing at the wedding and you see that her feet aren't even touching the ground because he's so much taller than her and is just holding her up while they sway - love it!

I love, love, love Stranger Than Fiction. "I brought you flours". (Not a misspelling. :D) And "I want you." Great stuff.

The last scene in Pride and Prejudice (2005 version--is much more smoldering than the BBC version), when Darcy says, "You have bewitched me."

The scene in P&P where he helps Elizabeth into the carriage and she is startled by the electricity they feel. Then the camera focuses on his hand.

The scene where they dance, and then halfway through, all the extras are GONE from the screen and it's just the two of them dancing alone. Then when the dance ends, everyone is back (because they were never really alone...they just felt like the only two people in the world.)

When he asks her about walking to Merryton and he says, "I know!" when she says she did, because he KNOWS her and loves her.

Oh, what the hay...ALL OF PRIDE AND PREJUDICE!!!!! I'm gonna watch it again tonight, I'm thinking.

Edited by Garga

This has been such a fun, good feeling thread! I'm so glad you all shared your favorite scenes. I've seen a good many of them, and I totally agree with your choices, and there are few movies that have been added to my Netflix queue :D.

Christopher Plummer was my first crush on a *man*. I had previous crushes on Speed Racer and Donny Osmond, but something clicked when I saw the Captain in The Sound of Music at age 7:001_wub:. Interestingly, my husband's first crush was Julie Andrews, but it was in Mary Poppins!

Elizabethtown, when Kristen Dunst and Orlando Bloom spend all night talking on the phone.

Elizabethtown! *THIS* is an unappreciated GEM of a movie! I saw it last year and then forced my husband to watch it later in the week. Not only was it very romantic, but the stories of family and expectations and life and death, it was just surprisingly good. Good soundtrack (volumes I & II), too!

You'll all think I'm nutty, but I *love* the scene in The Village where the 2 main characters are sitting on the front porch and declaring their feelings for one another.

Have to add this one:

I also love the soppy immature 80s flick SOMEKIND OF WONDERFUL where tomboy Watts(Mary Stuart Masterson) helps her best friend Keith practice kissing in the car repair shop on the car...of course we fans know how it turns out:D. Actually both kiss scenes in that movie are romantic in a soppy sort of way; the movie's totally immature (high school love drama) but it's stuck with me as an old fave.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar_fMzvnuKk