Menu

All 230,000 public school students in my county are on lockdown.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/broward/pembroke-pines/fl-pembroke-pines-threat-20101110,0,5483145.story

There was a threat received pertaining to one of the schools and so they locked them all down. The first buses usually start picking kids up at 2 but they're not sure if they'll be releasing them then. They do not want parents going to their children's school. Yikes!

Sorry -- I'd be demanding the school to release my child to me. This whole, "There's a potential mad-man coming to shoot up the schools, but hey -- don't worry! The kids are safely confined to their classrooms. Just stay home and don't worry about it. BTW, we may not send them home at the normal time today, but later," just wouldn't fly with me. I started teaching the year Columbine happened. Our school instituted all of these lock-down procedures and they were crap. Most of our classrooms had windows in the door and those accordian walls. All it would take for someone in the building to break into a locked classroom would be to break one of the windows and unlock the door. At that point they would have access to every classroom on that side of the building.

Sorry -- I'd be demanding the school to release my child to me. This whole, "There's a potential mad-man coming to shoot up the schools, but hey -- don't worry! The kids are safely confined to their classrooms. Just stay home and don't worry about it. BTW, we may not send them home at the normal time today, but later," just wouldn't fly with me. I started teaching the year Columbine happened. Our school instituted all of these lock-down procedures and they were crap. Most of our classrooms had windows in the door and those accordian walls. All it would take for someone in the building to break into a locked classroom would be to break one of the windows and unlock the door. At that point they would have access to every classroom on that side of the building.

I know, I agree.

I read it was daycares too, and at least one parents claimed his/her child was suspended for 10 days for using his cell phone to call or text his mom and say he was ok? SHEESH!!!

The idea of bureaucrats locking my kid up in the building where the supposed danger is for his own "safety"... and telling parents to stay away, we know what we're doing here... ugh that is a total nightmare.

Ranchgirl, while I totally agree--really, I do!--the flip-side is equally frightening: some madman or sicko taking advantage of the chaos created by 100,000+ parents descending on the schools demanding their children NOW to steal away my child. :shudder: As hard as it is, I'd rather wait for an orderly, safe dismissal making sure each child ends up with the correct adults. :(

I hope everyone is ok, and that the person making the threat is apprehended.

Ranchgirl, while I totally agree--really, I do!--the flip-side is equally frightening: some madman or sicko taking advantage of the chaos created by 100,000+ parents descending on the schools demanding their children NOW to steal away my child. :shudder: As hard as it is, I'd rather wait for an orderly, safe dismissal making sure each child ends up with the correct adults. :(

good point, I definitely don't know what the best answer is, just picturing the worried parents being told to wait down the street and the kids inside are just sitting ducks... there has to be a better way!

But the schools can dismiss the students in an orderly way. On 9/11, I went to the school to pick up my sdd and the administrative staff sat in the main lobby as parents lined up to check out their kids. No chaos! No opportunity for madmen to sneak in.

I do remember shortly after 9/11, my son's preschool sent out a notice saying in certain circumstances, they would proceed with a lock down and no one would be able to get their kids. I only hoped to God that never came to fruition, because that would not fly with me. I was immediately thinking about how I would get my child out of there if something happened to trigger one of these "lock downs".

Lisa

But the schools can dismiss the students in an orderly way. On 9/11, I went to the school to pick up my sdd and the administrative staff sat in the main lobby as parents lined up to check out their kids. No chaos! No opportunity for madmen to sneak in.

I do remember shortly after 9/11, my son's preschool sent out a notice saying in certain circumstances, they would proceed with a lock down and no one would be able to get their kids. I only hoped to God that never came to fruition, because that would not fly with me. I was immediately thinking about how I would get my child out of there if something happened to trigger one of these "lock downs".

Lisa

:iagree: 2001 was the year my children decided to try school (lasted less than six months). I had three at school. The children were able to make phone calls and we were able to pick them up no problems. There was no chaos. People were very orderly and polite. The rise in school shootings has increased along with the lockdowns. I know that that doesn't necessarily mean a correlation but if there is a chance that there is a shooter on the premise, I certainly don't want my children locked in the building with them.

Wow. Reminds me of when we were locked in our classrooms when there was a bomb threat while they searched with the dogs. Just where I want to be if there might be a bomb, locked in the building with it. :glare:

WOW! When I was a kid and there was a bomb threat, we treated it like a fire...everyone was removed from the building in an orderly fashion.

Our local elementary school was locked down last month sometime. Apparently, it was on the news but since I don't have TV, I had no clue.

My Mom called me up asking if we were alright. She knows we homeschool but I guess she thought we'd somehow know if the school got locked down. I don't even really know where the elementary school is.

I wonder how many parents were sick in the Broward school system today? How would you part with your child today after standing around waiting yesterday??