Menu

Can you tell me about Rod and Staff's Spelling by Sound and Structure?

wy_kid_wrangler04

I have this on the way for my two. We used it briefly but gave it up as the LA that we were using had spelling incorp.

It is very inexpensive, does incorp. some phonics, isn't major time consuming, no fluff.

It will be here the end of this week if you want to make a trip over to take a look:001_smile:

I have this on the way for my two. We used it briefly but gave it up as the LA that we were using had spelling incorp.

It is very inexpensive, does incorp. some phonics, isn't major time consuming, no fluff.

It will be here the end of this week if you want to make a trip over to take a look:001_smile:

I just might have to take a trip over and check it out sometime :D

I forgot to tell you that if you go to this web site you can see samples.

http://www.rodandstaffbooks.com/

I have ordered several things from this company and never had a problem.

Thank you very much!!! I switched my 3rd grader to their english and love it!!! MFW uses this in 2nd grade then switches to Spelling Power for 3rd on up- we already use Spelling Power is AMAZING results. I have time yet though, this would not be for 2 more years or so.

All of my kids are using R&S this year. Obviously I like it! :)

These books aren't about memorizing a list of words. They have the kids really working with the spelling/phonics rule and focus on the hows and whys of spelling. Some complain about the word lists being too easy, but the exercises more than make up for it. It's not a phonics program, but it is phonics based.

The 7th and 8th grade books turn their focus to root vocabulary, and only spend one day a week working on the actual spelling. The 2nd through 5th grade books are workbooks, and 6th-8th are textbooks. The 3rd grade book has two days worth of work in the book. You'd spend the other days practicing the words or taking the test. The 7th grade book has 3 days worth of work in the book.

The 2nd grade book focuses on hearing the sounds in the words, and has 2 days worth of work for each lesson. It's considered a child's first spelling book, since they don't carry a separate spelling for first grade. I have two doing this book this year. Their schedule looks like the following.

Day 1: Read the new words, discuss unknown definitions, do section A

Day 2: section B

Day 3: practice spelling the words on a whiteboard, I sit with them and discuss any tricky words as they go, they spell it orally to me after they write it

Day 4: play with the words somehow, taking turns making sentences, whiteboards, tiles, etc.

Day 5: test