Menu

Help me decide among these "Gilgamesh" retellings.

Maverick_Mom

Here are my choices (from the library):

Gilgamesh the Hero, by Geraldine McCaughrean

He Who Saw Everything: the Epic of Gilgamesh, by Anita Feagles

Gilgamesh, Man's First Story, by Bernarda Bryson

My first choice(s) would've been the books by Ludmilla Zeman, but they're on hold indefinitely. The McCaughrean and Feagles versions are listed in the juvenile section, so I figure they're okay for kids; but I'm not sure about the last one, because it's in the regular religion section.

We love the Bryson. It's well-told, and the art is fantastic. I have no idea why the library would consider it religious, unless someone opened it, saw Ishtar mentioned, and decided that made it religious.

I disliked the Zeman trilogy because (1) it was lower in level than I was looking for; and (2) it has an annoying made-up part involving a lion cub.

I don't know the ages of your children but we really enjoyed this set of three picture books called The Gilgamesh Trilogy.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=The+Gilgamesh+Trilogy&x=0&y=0

I just received the first one in the mail today and enjoyed it - I love the illustrations. I plan to order the others very soon!

Edited by Jyniffrec
Left a word out!

We love the Bryson. It's well-told, and the art is fantastic. I have no idea why the library would consider it religious, unless someone opened it, saw Ishtar mentioned, and decided that made it religious.

:iagree:

I am using this version with my ds8 and dd6; it's working well, and they're enjoying it. There has been nothing in it at all that would concern me for its appropriateness.