Menu

Timelines. . .where to begin?

Jamee

I've never done a timeline before on such a grand scale as a cycle of history and I'm completely over whelmed by all that's out there. I don't want to spend a lot of money, but I also don't want to make this so complicated it never gets done--let alone started.

What would be the easiest way to create a decent timeline? Particularly one arranged by regions/continents?

Oh decisions, decisions.:confused:

I plan to construct a timeline next year with my dd who will be in 8th grade. I plan to have her construct the timeline in landscape books instead of on the wall. That way she can keep them. I am going to have her do one time period for each book so she will have a complete set. I am cheating just a bit. I am going to use the timeline figures sold through Emmanuel books (Catholic). They can be colored and cut out. They are also on sticky back paper for easy placement. We will be reading though The Land of Our Lady series and constructing the timeline as we go. I am doing this as a one year project. We have been doing in depth time period learning for the last few years using a spine & enrichment. I am having her do this timeline to sort of tie it all together in her mind.

The materials we will be using are Catholic but I am sure there are equivalent non-Catholic materials available. I do recommend fully planning it out in advance. I don't think it is possible to "wing" a timeline. You could have your dc create their own figures, then place them on the timeline. Or you could maybe print out figures you plan on using in advance, put them in a folder/binder, then take them out as necessary. You should decide which figures you want to include on your timeline and which resource you want to get those figures from. Also decide where/how you want the timeline (in a book, on the wall, on a fold out chart, etc.) displayed. Then it will be very easy for your child to place and label the figures as they are learned.

Hope this helps, I am very excited about doing this with my dd! :001_smile:

I do recommend fully planning it out in advance. I don't think it is possible to "wing" a timeline.

Thanks for the tips. This was my fear too, I just wasn't sure where the direction was going to take me. Now, how to actually plan it out? off to check the links!

Well, for Modern History, SOTW - I use a portfolio, tabbed folders, heavy duty cardstock of different colors, and a combination of illustration, printout figures, and notes.

We printed cardstock for each continent with 10-year spans, 1850-1859 for example. All of the continents for 1850-1859 went into a tabbed folder marked 1850-1859. We add other timelines of smaller events or people we researched or inventions to the appropriate time period. Our portfolio is the brown type with the elastic band used for a closure.

We have a portfolio for each time period, Ancients, Middle Ages, et cetera.

I will say that "filing" history was the best decision. I do not file the year, but this I adapted from all of those long, long, long file threads!