Menu

Desperate for math help!!!!

hsbaby

My dd is 13. She has learning disabilities and has been dx with high functioning Autism. I would post this on the special needs board, but I value the opinion of those without special needs kiddies too!! Anyway, a little background:

We pulled dd out of ps (she was in special Ed.) three years ago. At that point, they had given up on teaching her math and let her use a calculator for even simple addition (1+1, etc.). When I brought her home we got rid of the calculator and started over. As in first grade curriculum. We have tried Lifepacs, Math U See, CLE, Developmental Math, Spectrum workbooks, etc. I have finally concluded it is not a curriculum problem. She just does not get it. We are currently using a variety of workbooks and worksheets that drill add/sub facts. I have used manipulatives and taught her touch math. She seems to get how to add, but is very slow and unsure of herself.

I just don't know where to go from here. When I try to move on and introduce a new concept I get a blank stare. Place value thoroughly confuses her, she can't grasp skip counting, she can't add 1+1 without adding the dots or using manipulatives, etc. We can't use a curriculum because once they move beyond adding she just has no idea what they are talking about!!

So, what would you do? Keep giving her add/sub worksheets? I feel like such a failure as we have made only minimal progress in 3 years. Am I overlooking some great special Ed. Curriculum?

A few thoughts:

RightStart is the first thing that comes to mind - the abacus is a wonderful manipulative that works great as a visualization tool as well, so you can always "use" it.

Does she get the basic idea of add/sub (and mult/div), can she do simple problems with manipulatives/real-life objects? Can she figure out things like, "We need to set out 5 plates for dinner, and there are only 3 clean ones. How many do we need to wash?" Because if she can understand the basic idea behind the operations and do simple real-life problems (even if she is counting on her fingers or relying on manipulating real objects every time), she's in a far better place than if she *can't* do that, than if she has *no* understanding of what the point behind any of this is.

Another example: if your dd had 10 cookies to divide among 5 people, could she *somehow* sort that out, even if it's a matter of dealing out the cookies one by one to each of the five people until they are all gone?

Because I think, in your situation, I'd be more concerned with your dd understanding *when* and *why* you add/sub/mult/div, and go with whatever method works to calculate the answer, than ensuring she can do the pen & paper algorithms. She can get by in life counting on her fingers (and you could try teaching fingermath or chisenbop - basically a way to use one's fingers as an abacus - would give her a more powerful way of finger calculating), but not if she has no idea what she needs to count in the first place.

Also, I wonder if Miquon might be useful. It uses hands-on methods to help develop an intuitive sense of what all the operations mean - if your dd doesn't yet have a sense of what the operations do, Miquon might help her develop it.

HTH - best of luck :grouphug:.

Don't feel like a failure. You are doing your best. I probably won't be much help....you say you don't really need a different math curriculum. But, in thinking of all the many, many math programs we have used over the years...the one that sticks out to me as one that you may want to look at is Mastering Mathematics by Letz Farmer. While this math program is for anyone, she did also write it with special needs children in mind. Here is a link to the math (samples are at the top):

http://www.masterypublications.com/Math.htm

Here is some info from her about teaching children with special needs:

http://www.masterypublications.com/Special_Needs.htm

Thank you for your input. I will gave a look at these other curriculums! As far as understanding the operations, I'm not sure she gets them. I tried going through a word problem workbook with her, using a calculator, just to try to get her to understand when to use specific operations. I thought she had done well, but when I asked her the question a pp suggested (about having 3 clean plates, but needing 5), she looked at me like I was from another planet. I guess we will have to start over.....again:( I really just want to cry. I feel like she just might not ever get it. I would be happy if she could even do something simple, like adding 3+2.....using fingers, dots....anything! As of now, I have to give her a push in the right direction. Thankfully ds7 seems to just "get" math. Otherwise I would really be feeling like the worst hs math teacher....ever:(

This must be heart-breaking :grouphug:

I would try turning some of the tasks of daily life into math lessons. Whether setting the table with plates, or grocery shopping, or eating cookies. Let her help measure when you cook. Things like that.

And ask questions: "Mommy has 2 apples in the bag, if I put one more apple in the bag how many will we have?" If she can't tell you hand her the bag and let her try to figure it out. Maybe hand her the bag anyway.

Play games with objects. Which one is larger? Which one is smallest? Or, can you group all the red objects?

The value of narrating a child's experience, and asking questions of them that are grounded in their immediate life experience can not be over-estimated. That, and lots of encouraging praise when they answer you correctly (and patient and leading questioning when they don't) may be helpful.

These ideas are probably not new to you, but throwing them out there just in case.

Best wishes.

Bill

My dd is 13. She has learning disabilities and has been dx with high functioning Autism. I would post this on the special needs board, but I value the opinion of those without special needs kiddies too!! Anyway, a little background:

We pulled dd out of ps (she was in special Ed.) three years ago. At that point, they had given up on teaching her math and let her use a calculator for even simple addition (1+1, etc.). When I brought her home we got rid of the calculator and started over. As in first grade curriculum. We have tried Lifepacs, Math U See, CLE, Developmental Math, Spectrum workbooks, etc. I have finally concluded it is not a curriculum problem. She just does not get it. We are currently using a variety of workbooks and worksheets that drill add/sub facts. I have used manipulatives and taught her touch math. She seems to get how to add, but is very slow and unsure of herself.

I just don't know where to go from here. When I try to move on and introduce a new concept I get a blank stare. Place value thoroughly confuses her, she can't grasp skip counting, she can't add 1+1 without adding the dots or using manipulatives, etc. We can't use a curriculum because once they move beyond adding she just has no idea what they are talking about!!

So, what would you do? Keep giving her add/sub worksheets? I feel like such a failure as we have made only minimal progress in 3 years. Am I overlooking some great special Ed. Curriculum?

I am going to give you a bunch of questions, because I think Right Start might help, but really don't want to have you chase another rabbit trail.

Does she understand the basic operations when using the calculator, or do you have to tell her and she just types them in to get the answer?

Is she able to see either numbers or quantities in her mind?

How did she do with the rods in MUS?

My first impression from reading what you wrote above is that she can do math, she understands most of the why, but I would guess that it is very slow going and that at times she forgets how to do things.

If she can do the math but needs a manipulative, and she also struggles to see numbers or quantities (or both) in her mind then I would give Right Start a try for three reasons.

First it works on visualizing quantities and numbers. Now On Cloud Nine (OCN) would be another, more in depth way to teach this. You can do OCN as a stand alone or buy the manual to use with another math program. To date the visualization in RS has been enough for my kids, but I did have to spend extra time on it.

Second RS uses an abacus as a manipulative. While it would be ideal to not need it, if she is going to need something long term, at least an abacus is socially acceptable to use an adult.

Third RS is a base 10 math. This simplifies the amount of memorization of math facts a child needs to know. They simply re-structure any problem they come across into a base 10 problem, eliminating the need memorize math facts into the 12's and such. For example you take a problem like 48 + 8 and think, "What do I need to add to 48 to make 50?" Then you would take the 2 from 8, making you new problem 50+6=56. You don't even need to know what 8+8 is. With multiplication you ideally memorize all your math facts, but if you can't you restructure the problem into one you know, so with 8x8 you might make it 5x8+3x8= 40+24=64. It simply take some of the pressure off to remember it all. You take what you can remember and make use of it.

The one way you would probably need to modify RS is to allow her to use the Abacus at times when they suggest you have them do it mentally. Now hopefully with the visualization work she will be able to keep up with the mental math, but if she can't that would be fine.

Now if money is tight, you can add all these elements to another program. You would need to find an OCN manual, preferably used (and that would be the most expensive part), you can add a RS abacus, and teach her base 10 methods of math without using RS as a program, as long as you can wrap your mind around what is going on.

Heather

Wow....thank you for the thoughtful responses! It makes me feel better just to have people to "talk" it through with:). I admit, I am not very good about incorporating math skills into our day to day activities (I would make for the worst unschoolers ever!). That might be a great way for her to use a variety of manipulatives, as well as to see how all this mathematical torture fits into her life:). I am going to take a closer look at RS as well. I have hesitated on the past due to the cost. And to be honest (this is going to sound really bad), I wonder if I will be wasting money. I have spent so much on failed curriculum for her....sometimes I wonder if she just won't ever get it:(.

Wow....thank you for the thoughtful responses! It makes me feel better just to have people to "talk" it through with:). I admit, I am not very good about incorporating math skills into our day to day activities (I would make for the worst unschoolers ever!). That might be a great way for her to use a variety of manipulatives, as well as to see how all this mathematical torture fits into her life:). I am going to take a closer look at RS as well. I have hesitated on the past due to the cost. And to be honest (this is going to sound really bad), I wonder if I will be wasting money. I have spent so much on failed curriculum for her....sometimes I wonder if she just won't ever get it:(.

I am about the furtherest thing there is from a delayed academics type or an unschooler, however, those that really engage their children in the best of this learning model are really onto something IMO.

I think some of our very best early math lessons were done while picking produce at the market. Really!

Or playing with toy cars. Endless possibilities.

How many steps does it take to reach the car?

A further suggestion that won't cost you (unless you print the materials). There is a math program called MEP. it is from the UK and based on a Hungarian model. It is pretty "hard" math program. Too hard. But, they have "lesson plans" as part of the curriculum that actively engage the children in multi-sensory ways of learning.

These lesson plans could be gleaned (by you) for active ways to help teach your daughter. And some of the problems in the Student Books might even intrigue her. Worth a shot.

Bill

You might take a look at the Muggins Math site. Scroll down towards the bottom and look at the Number Neighbors program. Watch the video demonstration (you could even have your DD watch with you) and see if it's something that might work for her. I bought it to use with an older special needs student, who also doesn't seem to grasp very basic arithmetic, but we haven't started it yet.

Jackie