Menu

Rep points question regarding buy/sell boards.

I understand the basics about rep points, but I don't understand how we are supposed to know if someone else has negative rep because of treating a buyer badly. I understand that people lose points if they get a negative approval from someone, but how do others see that? We can't read the comments left with the negative rep, can we? It would be nice to know about negative rep for a seller, but it seems to me that the only way to leave negative rep that others can see is to post a response to the sale ad. Buyers would still have to search all the ads posted by that person to see if anyone posted a negative response to it. Is this right, or am I missing something?

You're right. This is definitely not an ideal system. In addition to rep, we encourage buyers to leave feedback in the thread. We hope that potential buyers do a bit of research about the seller. We are working on implementing another system, but it is a matter of time and resources and software release schedules.

We could hire someone to do nothing but upgrade and manage the boards, but that would cost money, which would require us to do something crazy, like charge people who visit here. :eek:

Please keep in mind that PHP writes books for homeschoolers. We don't want to be the next eBay, nor is our focus on forum development. ;)

I was wondering about this myself and came in here to post a thread, so glad I found this! But, I was thinking it for the other way around. I sell things on this forum, but no one can really tell I'm a reputable seller. Only my little green rep box is seen on my screen, and no one can really tell how many rep points I have, exactly.

I've only had one person take the time to actually rep me b/c they were happy with their purchase. And, this person did leave a message on my sale thread. Getting rep isn't really a big deal to me except for this one area, selling.

Thanks, Heather, for the answer, and I know this forum can't do everything! I do wish there were a better way to handle this though. :)

I appreciate you clarifying! I'll be sure to leave feedback for anyone who sells me something. I'm sure it will be positive, though, as I've bought here for several years without a problem.

FWIW, I wasn't trying to complain about the new format or the rep system. I think it's just fine. I'm glad to have a place to ask questions and to buy and sell, no matter what the limitations are. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something that was obvious to everyone else. It's happened before! :001_smile:

• 2 weeks later...
We hope that potential buyers do a bit of research about the seller.
How do we look up info. on a person like this?

If I want to give positive feedback for someone, how would I find their for sale or other posts? Is there a way to type in their name somewhere to find that? Is there a "See all messages by this person" type place?

Is there a way to type in their name somewhere to find that? Is there a "See all messages by this person" type place?

Yes, there is a way to do this.

1. Click on the red "Search" box in the menu bar at the top of the screen.

2. Click on Advanced Search in the bottom of that drop down box.

3. In the top right hand side of the search box there is a "Search by User" box and you can enter their username and see posts and threads from that person.

Hope that helps!

How do we look up info. on a person like this?

If I want to give positive feedback for someone, how would I find their for sale or other posts? Is there a way to type in their name somewhere to find that? Is there a "See all messages by this person" type place?

Another way to find out about people is to click on their name in their post. For example, I could click on your name, Brindee, at the top of your post. That would give me options to see your public profile, send you a private message, to see all posts by you, and some other options that I don't recall. From there I can click on the option to see all posts by you, and then I'll see a list of all the posts you've ever made in reverse chronological order (that is, starting from today and stretching back to your first post). I can go to any of those threads and read your post(s) in that thread as well as everyone else's.**

This lets me see any posts you've had on the trading board, as well as any replies others have made to you.

I just completed a transaction, and I gave the person good rep PLUS I left a post that it was a good transaction because of her promptness, her packaging, etc. etc. So anyone searching posts by that person (or me) could run into that info.

**This is why some people prefer not put a lot of personal info in their posts, by the way, since people with too much time on their hands can go all crazy-stalker and find out all sorts of things by piecing the little bits we leave as a trail in our posts over the years. Not to be alarmist, but it's all there for anyone to read. I'm on another board where you could use this technique to go back and find posts I wrote in 2001 through today -- amazing, eh?

I just completed a transaction, and I gave the person good rep PLUS I left a post that it was a good transaction because of her promptness, her packaging, etc. etc. So anyone searching posts by that person (or me) could run into that info.
Where'd you leave that post?

Thankyou Gail and Keri for your answers!

I didn't realize the rep system was in use here the first time I purchased something, but am in the midst of two purchases and plan to leave rep points for those people when I receive the items. They didn't have a post, though, but PMd me in response to a wanted thread I posted.

How about, at least, a sticky thread in the sales forum for a bad sellers list? If it is a concern that people will just post to be mean, maybe one person (a mod of some sort?) can keep the list. If someone has a bad experience with a seller, they can PM the mod and the mod can then add the person to the list after doing whatever checking said mod feels is necessary. Could do the same for a GOOD sellers list, but at least a bad sellers list of some sort would be helpful.

Just a thought. :)

Dalynnrmc, that's a great idea.

I've also just made a sale through some PMs -- and it all started with a thread that was actually about something else, not even a WTB or a FS thread, but something in the curriculum forum. So I can give the person good rep, but there isn't a good place for me to write a post that says "This was a good person to deal with".