Menu

motion sickness & long drive

Dramamine. If you get the kind that makes you drowzy, they'll sleep. :D I get motion sickness and when I was a child my parents didn't know about Dramamine. I would have been much happier during many of our travels.

I have those pressure bands and they do help somewhat, but on curvy roads and airplanes they're useless for me. Also keep the car well ventilated, have it so everyone can see outside, rear seats in vans are killer for me. ginger ale and spearmint gum can also be helpful. Also no heavy meals before leaving.

Air flow and being able to see out the windows are the most important.

Dramamine. If you get the kind that makes you drowzy, they'll sleep. :D I get motion sickness and when I was a child my parents didn't know about Dramamine. I would have been much happier during many of our travels.

I have those pressure bands and they do help somewhat, but on curvy roads and airplanes they're useless for me. Also keep the car well ventilated, have it so everyone can see outside, rear seats in vans are killer for me. ginger ale and spearmint gum can also be helpful. Also no heavy meals before leaving.

Air flow and being able to see out the windows are the most important.

:iagree: with all of this. Keep the car COOL & the air flowing. Cool to cold air is much, much better if you're feeling car sick. Bring a sweater or blankets to lay across laps, but keep the cool air flowing (esp. so they can feel it on their faces). Seat the ones prone to car sickness next to windows.

Call your pediatrician & ask about the proper dose of Dramamine for your kids. Bring a pillow & they can prop up & (hopefully) go to sleep.

If possible, stick to bigger/wider roads (interstates) vs. smaller side roads that tend to be curvier & bumpier.

If you have snacks/drinks, I'd stick to ginger ale & some salty, plain snacks (pretzels, goldfish, or saltine crackers).

You may want to give the kids who are prone to car sickness a small baggie w/ a damp washcloth in it so they can wipe their faces too. Sometimes wiping your face w/ something cool & damp helps.

Also, I'd make sure to have paper towels, water, plastic bags, & some type of odor neutralizer spray on hand in case of any emergencies. (If one gets sick, the smell may trigger the others to get sick.) An extra change of clothes that is easy to get to is also a good idea (for everyone, not just the ones prone to motion sickness -- you never know who may get hit, kwim? Be sure to include clean undies & socks in the changes too.... Just don't ask me how I know. :tongue_smilie:)

Dramamine doesn't even make my kids sleep but that isn't all bad. :) It sure helps the tummy! Crackers, ginger, arm bands, stopping often and running about all help. If you pack lunch and eat in the car you can use your stopping time to run around the rest stop and get some fresh air. Have fun.

My kids do better if they have:

cool air

video to watch

headphones to listen to

a hand-held game

a stop or two to stretch their legs and play

Hope your trip goes well. We once went to Florida and left in the middle of the night. They spent most of KY, TN and AL throwing up. By the time we got to our room we had to bathe them and find a washer to clean their blankets, towels and clothes. It was awful. The trip home in the day time was better because they watched a video the whole time.

:001_smile:

My daughter is prone to car sickness. We've found that having a centrally placed DVD player has really helped. Her eyes are directed "in" and she also hangs a blanket over the window on her side. We've found, for us, it's not so much the motion that makes her sick, it's the scenery in her peripheral vision.