Menu

What do you do for gifts once your dc don't like toys (10yo dd)?

10yo dd really has never been a toy person. But we could usually find something. Those years appear to be over this year-lol!

She also has a bday in Dec, and lots of relatives asking for ideas for both that and Christmas, and I am totally at a loss.

She loves craft kits, but pretty much has them all in some form (how many friendship bracelet kits do you need :))

She is very practical-doesn't want a digital camera because she doesn't feel she would "get use out of it" etc. She loves books but "can get them from the library."

One thing she wants is a good microscope. She likes the Klutz books and wants the Paper Fashions one.

I am not a person who likes to give gift cards. She always does ask for some money for World Vision, and we do give her that and then she picks what she wants to donate out of the catalog. (She usually forgoes a bday party-and most years bday gifts-to use that money for World Vision.)

We are not into electronics very much, especially video games, etc.

So what are y'all getting for your dc once they are "out" of the toy phase?

My dd9 inherited my never-used sewing machine this year. For her birthday, she wants a collection of "practical" fabric in a rainbow of colors. She also knits, she loves her lap loom, and she got a spinning wheel for CHristmas last year. She's working her way through a really good sewing book called the Sew Everything Worshop. For her birthday, I'm getting her a really nice set of colored pencils. She would also love a microscope.

Electronics. :D

My twins are turning 11 this month. My son has requested an iPod and a couple of CDs. My daughter would like a new game for their shared (purchased used) Nintendo DS.

Although we use the library lots, our libraries are small and my kids love to reread, so we always give a book or two.

My daughter did ask for a CSI DNA kit she saw, so she'll probably get that for Christmas or her birthday.

Puzzles? Board games?

I'd also think about experiences. Tickets to a live show or musical performance? Membership to a science or art museum? Coupon for a special afternoon tea with you and a friend?

If she wants a microscope, do you think she'd like some things to go with it? Slide sets are pretty neat, along with some supplies to make her own slides.

We set up a new area for dd in the basement that has a science focus. Could you do something like that, with a few neat posters and a microscope, and some supplies in a cool, organized way? Put a big ribbon around it all?

10yo dd really has never been a toy person. But we could usually find something. Those years appear to be over this year-lol!

She also has a bday in Dec, and lots of relatives asking for ideas for both that and Christmas, and I am totally at a loss.

She loves craft kits, but pretty much has them all in some form (how many friendship bracelet kits do you need :))

She is very practical-doesn't want a digital camera because she doesn't feel she would "get use out of it" etc. She loves books but "can get them from the library."

One thing she wants is a good microscope. She likes the Klutz books and wants the Paper Fashions one.

I am not a person who likes to give gift cards. She always does ask for some money for World Vision, and we do give her that and then she picks what she wants to donate out of the catalog. (She usually forgoes a bday party-and most years bday gifts-to use that money for World Vision.)

If she likes crafts, what about scrapbooking?

Does she like "projects" or does she like to just "do" ?

If she likes projects, you could get her a Christmas-y themed scrapbook and embellishments and suggest she make a family Christmas book. She can make a category for each page and interview each family member. Fav. Christmas Memory, Fav. Christmas Cookie, Fav. Christmas Carol, etc. SHe can add pictures and decor.

HTH

I'd also think about experiences. Tickets to a live show or musical performance? Membership to a science or art museum? Coupon for a special afternoon tea with you and a friend?

:iagree: Also, is there a class she might enjoy taking? Art? Sports? Drama? Anything like that...?

I have a ds who is hard to gift--gifts are a big deal to him yet he doesn't have any hobbies or serious interests for us to focus on. He's out of the toy phase but has no real interests besides electronics. Dh made a rule years ago that if the kids wanted electronics they could earn the money and buy it themselves, so that's out as far as gifts. He does enjoy reading (but it picky about what he'll read) and loves audiobooks of certain favorite series--Artemis Fowl, Percy Jackson. He may get an audiobook this year that isn't available at our library.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for more ideas.

Cinder

My dd9 inherited my never-used sewing machine this year. For her birthday, she wants a collection of "practical" fabric in a rainbow of colors. She also knits, she loves her lap loom, and she got a spinning wheel for CHristmas last year. She's working her way through a really good sewing book called the Sew Everything Worshop. For her birthday, I'm getting her a really nice set of colored pencils. She would also love a microscope.

When my dd was about that age, we got her a sewing basket w/various tools (needles/pincushion/scissors) and fabrics and a box to store fabrics in. Eventually she also started knitting/crocheting(sp?) and so needles and yarn are always a good gift.

Would she be interested in a nice doll (American Girl or similar)? My dd has one and is constantly sewing/knitting things for the doll.

Non-toy gifts we've done. . .

cameras, musical gadgets (audio recorder, etc.), laptop, musical instruments, clothes, monogrammed duffel bag for travel, science kits (chem, etc.), craft supplies, sporting equip (skis, badmitton, bocce, etc.), cute jammies, cute slippers, cute robe, nice bed blanket for kid who loves soft blankies. . .

FWIW, I think the microscope is a great idea. There are plenty of accessories (slide sets, books, etc.) that you could have others give her.

Another fun ideas I have. . . flip video camera. . .

My dd got a James Avery charm bracelet for her birthday. It had the one charm on it and we plan to add to it for upcoming special occasions. She LOVED it.

She also has her eye on a kit that helps you with lettering. I can't remember if it has stencils or what. Like stamping, but you do it yourself. Like a typography type of thing.

My friend is getting her 11yo dd a rock driller so she can drill holes in small rocks and gems to make her own jewelry. That's cool! Last year they got her a dollhouse that she uses mostly to rearrange furniture and decorate, not necessarily play dolls with. She loves to make things for the house, much like I like to make a new wreath for fall season for my front door.

I made a sewing kit for my dd last year that she loved. Got a real tackle box and filled it with real sewing supplies and a bunch of those felt squares you can get from Hobby Lobby.

Does she have a decent telescope? My dd got one a few years ago and that was a good gift too.

How about some cool stuff for her room? New comforter, curtains, decorations, etc.

A subscription to something like audible? Or a magazine?

Tickets to a show? Maybe she can go with special family members. This is what my in-laws get my kids for their birthdays. A special experience for each of them - a play, a sports event, a Japanese restaurant and museum, a Renaissance Faire day. These are all things my kids enjoyed with their grandparents this year.

The Flip video camera is a great idea! So is an Ipod. So many things to do with it (like listen to the audible books).

My dd10 sounds quite similar to yours. She's been spending a lot of time on the World Vision catalogue too. She got a sewing machine last year. Now she would like the chance to have horse riding lessons. Is there a hobby she'd like to take up that she could get lessons for as a present?

Well, your dd sounds very altruistic and not at all materialistic, so that could be part of your dilemma (what a wonderful position to be in!)

As for the relatives, ask them to please just give $$. Then she can use it for whatever she wishes, including donations if she so desires.

Since she's not big on "things", what about a special outing? Either a girls' day out, or as a family, doing something you would not normally do but that she would enjoy (museum, zoo, spa, a movie) and of course include lunch! If she likes or at least needs clothes, you could do some shopping for that (since it can be difficult to choose the style and size without her there to choose and try things on).

BTW, with my dc, I tell them about 2 months ahead of time to start thinking about what gifts they would like, to keep a running list in their drafts folder, and then email the final list to me and grandparents about a month in advance, complete with links to the items so we know what they're talking about. Ds even ranks them in order of importance! Then my mom and I make selections from the list to purchase.

I also make note of any passing comments the dc make while in stores or looking through catalogs, months prior to gift-giving. By the time the special day rolls around, they have no recollection of mentioning that they would like something, and are amazed I "remembered" and got it for them!

HTH,

tools, not toys....

If she likes crafts...craft supplies...real ones. Maybe lessons...like a series of 6 cake decorating classes at Michaels or some painting classes through a local artist.

Maybe she would like to learn some graphic design or learn to use computer programming tools.

Magazine subscriptions are always appreciated by my kids

passes to the ice skating rink or to the driving range...or to the Y for some dance lessons.

I try to think of things my kids can use as they get older....cooking appliances like a panini maker or a blender stick for smoothies. I bought my 8 year old a box of kids recipe cards, measuring cups, bowls, measuring spoons and an apron...with some groceries to make the recipes. Ds 15 recieved a quessadilla maker for Christmas last year and has been making us lunch with it ever since...LOL.

I also like Klutz books because they come with everything you need to make the crafts...

My 12 y/o dd loved the fashion book and we also got her a Fashion design kit which has seen tons of use.

HTH

Faithe

AWESOME awesome ideas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you! This has really gotten my creative juices flowing.

We did do the sewing kit a different year, and she has a Pandora bracelet which we thought would be great, but again, she's so practical, doesn't want us spending $20 on one bead, etc. She has and loves her Amer Girl doll, but when we've gotten her things for it in the past, she realizes she doesn't "use" them enough to make it "worth" the price.

Another idea I had last month was to put together a pH testing kit for both dc. They had a ball with pH paper at a science club mtg and on the way home were wishing they had a ton of pH paper and lots of things to test with it. So I'm going to do that. I'm going to try to think of more science ideas too, good thought.

I took them to Toys R Us but she didn't see anything at all, even craft kits, so I'm going to really be depending on some of these ideas you've listed. Thanks!