Menu

Irritated with docs

So, you know I'm pregnant. I'm on Effexor for anxiety, which cannot be taken in the 3rd trimester (I'm still in my 2nd). I went to my new doc (because my old doc PCS'd-military speak for moved) and he didn't want to give me anything to take in the 3rd trimester. I told him I HAD to be on something, or I'd be climbing the walls. He said he wasn't "qualified" to take responsibility for that. He called psych, and they said they wouldn't sign off on it and that my OB should be the one dealing with this. My OB said he's not a psychiatrist and can't prescribe an anti-anxiety drug. I was at the hospital for 2.5 hours and all I heard was people saying they wouldn't be responsible. I was so frustrated and irritated. They have to wean me off the Effexor slowly, so they wrote me a script for a lower dosage and another doc (head of the clinic) said she wanted to see me again next week. I went to the pharmacy and talked to the pharmacist and explained the issue. He pulled out this HUGE book about medications during pregnancy, spent about 10 minutes flipping through various medications and came up with 2 that are safe for me to take. He wrote them down and gave me his card to give to the female doc on Tuesday. He was so nice and said if there were any questions she could call him.

Two hours of running around and it took the pharmacist 10 minutes to solve the problem. Being pregnant and being on medication is so tricky. I understand that they don't want to give me something that will harm the baby (I don't want that either), but their solution was to just do nothing (not an option) and let me go through the 3rd trimester without anything, or to try pushing it off on someone else. I really just wanted to cry.

I got home late and told James Bond how frustrating it was and he decided I needed to go out to a nice meal. We went to a really good Italian restaurant where I had tomato creme soup and Spaghetti di Pomodoro and the waiters were attentive and friendly. Plus there was no clean up.

Stupid doctors. Don't they know they shouldn't be upsetting a pregnant woman?

I understand that they don't want to give me something that will harm the baby (I don't want that either), but their solution was to just do nothing (not an option) and let me go through the 3rd trimester without anything, or to try pushing it off on someone else. I really just wanted to cry.

I developed an excruciating earache and husband took me to an emergency clinic. The doctor gave me an antibiotic to take, but told me I needed to stop breastfeeding Calvin. Just like that. When he had never taken a bottle. I was in tears, but the doctor just wouldn't take responsibility (or do the research) to solve the problem.

We got back to my in-laws flat, MIL said that it was probably a good thing to wean Hobbes anyway (not a good moment in our relationship), and husband got on the phone to our doctor in England. He checked his book and said that it was fine to take the antibiotic and carry on breastfeeding Calvin.

Laura

Two hours of running around and it took the pharmacist 10 minutes to solve the problem.

Stupid doctors. Don't they know they shouldn't be upsetting a pregnant woman?

It's not necessarily that they don't know. The pharmacist isn't the one who's going to be responsible if something goes wrong. It's easy to "solve the problem" when you're not the one whose butt is on the line.

:grouphug:

Hope you find something that works.