Menu

Recipes that use lots of eggs

Guest mrsjamiesouth

Guest mrsjamiesouth

I ended up with 70 eggs. :001_smile: I bought 2 1/2 dozen from a local farm today, my mom brought me 18 eggs the tonight from the market, and tonight a friend gave me 2 1/2 dozen eggs from another local farm. The eggs were given to my friend from a friend of her husbands, but the man did not clean the eggs before giving them to them. So, she doesn't want to have to clean them and is worried about doing it right so she gave them to me.

I know, I know... tons of grammatical errors but I can't think well enough to try to reword it.

I have an awesome recipe for Challah. I am going to make a quiche using Collard greens instead of spinach. I will scramble and hard boil some this week for breakfast.

What else could I do?

Anyone have a really good custard recipe?

Guest mrsjamiesouth
Egg salad

Anything you bake, add one extra egg.

Fry them (yolks hard) then individually freeze for breakfast sandwiches. Nuke to thaw, top with cheese and if you want bacon or sausage.

Awesome ideas! Espescially the frozen fried eggs.

Guest mrsjamiesouth
Breakfast casserole. We use a dozen eggs, a can of cream of mushroom, 8 oz of shredded cheese and either sausage or ham mixed in.

That sounds good, I never would have thought to mix cream of mushroom with eggs.

Angel food cake (takes 12 whites!)

and

sabayon (takes all yokes)

So make the cake and top it with fruit and the sabayon

French toast

You can make and freeze individual breakfast casseroles (make it, bake in muffin tin, then cool, pop out, freeze and then just microwave to reheat)

Custards

Egg pie

Quiche

Julia Child has an AWESOME potato pie with lots of eggs in it (think egg casserole mix, chopped ham and cooked onion, then add shredded potato and cheese - bake. Freezes and reheats well) Rappe?

Egg Nog

Cakes - make ahead a freeze for holiday parties

Can you tell I have 3 dozen eggs in my fridge too? LOL!!!

Edited by Kayaking Mom

My husband was doing some low-carb diet a few years ago and made himself little sandwich-type muffin things using only eggs and cream cheese. He'd make some savory (herbs added in) and some sweet (cinnamon and other spices added in). The savory ones were good for making little sandwiches, such as tuna salad or shredded chicken. Or hamburger buns. The sweet ones were great done up like pancakes (with fruit on top). Most were biscuit sized but he made the occasional large one, and used it for a pizza crust. They stored well in the freezer; he'd make up one batch a month. According to him: slight eggy taste, but great for his waistline and a protein boost/snack throughout the day.

He emailed this to me and said it's an old low-carb standby. He couldn't find his original recipe but said this one is basically the same thing, except he added a packet of sugar substitute:

http://blog.yourlighterside.com/2008/01/sailor-scouts-make-my-revol-oopsie.html

Something different, maybe :) would definitely use up a lot of eggs! He said one carton of eggs would usually make enough pieces for a week (and that was eating 2-4 pieces per day, or 1-2 little tuna salad sliders).

I freeze raw eggs all the time. Very handy. I take them out of the shell and put them in ziploc freezer bags. When you want to use, just take out of the freezer. I like to thaw the bag a little in water, but you can just dump them in a pan and scramble them. They are good for baking after being frozen too.

• German pancakes (made in the oven in a big skillet...yummy!)
  • Breakfast casseroles, like the ones posted here on the forum around Christmas time.
  • Omelettes & frittatas

But honestly, the refrigerated shelf life of eggs is 4-5 weeks from the time they were laid. If you have a good idea of how fresh they are, you do have plenty of time to use them up. I buy farm fresh eggs and have found that they can last a very long time. Here is a link to the American Egg Board's guidelines on egg shelf life. Just scroll down to question #5.

Blessings,

Lucinda